Tyre Change of My Swift Dzire + Upgrade To Allloys - Suggestions Invited

Is it Yoko A-Drive or any other?

I am also thinking to put 185/70 Yoko A-drive to my Punto, if not upgrading to 15" Alloys.
RSM, its the A-drives. The S-drives are performance oriented and expensive as well. I can't locate the pic, else would have uploaded the same. Its official Yoko release, they have placed the tires against a scale of comfort vs performance.

Thanks for the information Sachin. Even I don't need any performance tyre, A-Drive suits me well. Just making up my mind to upgrade to 15" or stay at 14".[confused]

All those who fear upsizing their rims will reduce ride comfort, think again. Its the sidewall height or Profile of a tyre that helps to cushion bumps. Keep the same profile and u are good to go.
Eg:- vjroadies case..
165/80 r14- sidewall height= 80% of 165= 132mm
195/70 r15- sidewall height= 70% of 195= 136.5mm

So in actual, u are increasing the sidewall. and with this ratio ur ride wont be hampered at any cost.
15's look wayyyy cooler than 14's. just make sure the sidewall height remains same and ride will be same.

Speedo Error- To combat this, u have an option of keeping the overall rolling dia of the wheels intact when upsizing.

Stock- rim dia-14(355.6mm)
Sidewall- 132mm(x2)= 264mm
Total- 619.6mm

15"- Total- 619.6mm
rim dia-15(381mm)
sidewall- 239mm(x2)= 119.5mm
profile to be used- 195/65(126.75mm) Or 195/60(117.5)

16"- Total- 619.6mm
rim dia-16(406.4mm)
sidewall- 213.2mm(x2)= 106.6mm
profile to be used- 195/55(107.25mm) Or 195/50(97.5)
These combos will give u NIL or Negligible Speedo error. But ride quality will be decreased at the benefit of handling with low-pro tyres.

Thanks for the information Sachin. Even I don't need any performance tyre, A-Drive suits me well. Just making up my mind to upgrade to 15" or stay at 14".[confused]
RSM, contrary to popular belief, on some occasion not upsizing and on some rare occasion downsizing works out far more advantageous than upsizing. The best example I can think of is SX4, the 16" with the JK's make it a harsh ride. A handful of people have gone to 15" from 16" with a slightly wider profile and their feedback is positive.

Of course upsizing gives more bling to the car, but you compromise ride quality in the bargain. I know 14" to 15" is a negligible upsize, but if you are picky about the ride comfort, I suggest you stick to 14" only. Those Yoko A-drives 185/70 R14 are simply brilliant, I was in awe of their capabilities under wet conditions. It is said that it loses its traction under continuous high speed and spirited driving, but then do we have roads for such driving except for tracks?

@ Racer,

What you have said is true, but the car in question has a stiffer suspension set up and the ride goes from bad to worse in the Dzire. I never realized this until I sat in the backseat. Its for this reason I am advocating against the upsize.

As you said, if the rolling dia remains same, the speedo error can be neglected.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20
15" will compromise the ride quality. We all know how good a handler a Dzire is on bad roads!! I suggest stick to 14", check out Maruti's alloy for Swift/Dzire they look magnificent. Go for Michelin/Yoko/Bridgestone.

Michelin is the most expensive of the lot, superior ride quality but with a shorter life span.
Yoko's are a real VFM, its an ideal balance b/w comfort and performance. Have clocked 7k on Yoko's I have no complaints whatsoever.
Exactly Sachin, Dzire doesn't like patchy roads at all, and that is the reason I am going for tyre upgrade. I think I will go with Michelin's 195/70/R14 . I was just too busy these days and could not take my baby for her new shoes. Will probably setup time for this in coming week. Desperately waiting for the upgrade[cry]

I have some doubts. Rather than creating unnecessary new threads I am asking it here.

01: Does tyre measurement between different brands varry? I mean to say that I find Goodyear 195 section more wider than Bridgestone or Michelin's 195 section. Is it so?

02: Do alloy wheels bend easily? Are they repairable? How are wheel balancing/allignment done for alloys?

03: Are 195/60/15 suitable for my DZire which runs 50% in bad and worst roads with potholes, (but very carefully driven on those roads![surprise])

I have some doubts. Rather than creating unnecessary new threads I am asking it here.

01: Does tyre measurement between different brands varry? I mean to say that I find Goodyear 195 section more wider than Bridgestone or Michelin's 195 section. Is it so?

02: Do alloy wheels bend easily? Are they repairable? How are wheel balancing/allignment done for alloys?

03: Are 195/60/15 suitable for my DZire which runs 50% in bad and worst roads with potholes, (but very carefully driven on those roads![surprise])

1) i'm not really sure bout this thing, but i think they are all same,

2) good quality alloy wheels of reputable brands won't trouble u with rim bents, scratches, contraction etc..., yes they are repairable, the dealer which u buy those alloys from should give u atleast a year's warranty whatsover brand (if the dealer is genuine), wheel balancing/alignment is costlier for alloys wheels as compared to normal steel rims, for dzire it costs 250 for alignment and another 200 for balancing in my region, and if the dzire is equipped with alloys, it costs, 450 for alignment and 400-500 for balancing, depending on weights.

3) a 195/60/R15 tyre would be ideal to ur DZire, try getting a 65 profile size if you can, but even 60 is good one to go for, u'll definitely have improved ride handling, greater stablilty on sharp curves and less rattling when cruising through potholes, and ofc, less punctures due to new rubber [lol]

1.No , every 195 is the same , may be the thread pattern may feel you the difference , some may have 3 lines and some may have 4!

2.Any alloys for instance dont bend so easily like a steel rim , esp the sides . so its peace of mind to go through poth holes.

Rally alloys like bbs do not bend in hardest condition.

3.your dezire must enjoy the 195/60 spec. You'll find some of the poth holes missing after wearing these.

1) i'm not really sure bout this thing, but i think they are all same,

2) good quality alloy wheels of reputable brands won't trouble u with rim bents, scratches, contraction etc..., yes they are repairable, the dealer which u buy those alloys from should give u atleast a year's warranty whatsover brand (if the dealer is genuine), wheel balancing/alignment is costlier for alloys wheels as compared to normal steel rims, for dzire it costs 250 for alignment and another 200 for balancing in my region, and if the dzire is equipped with alloys, it costs, 450 for alignment and 400-500 for balancing, depending on weights.

3) a 195/60/R15 tyre would be ideal to ur DZire, try getting a 65 profile size if you can, but even 60 is good one to go for, u'll definitely have improved ride handling, greater stablilty on sharp curves and less rattling when cruising through potholes, and ofc, less punctures due to new rubber [lol]
ilango[speed thirst];55934 said:
1.No , every 195 is the same , may be the thread pattern may feel you the difference , some may have 3 lines and some may have 4!

2.Any alloys for instance dont bend so easily like a steel rim , esp the sides . so its peace of mind to go through poth holes.

Rally alloys like bbs do not bend in hardest condition.

3.your dezire must enjoy the 195/60 spec. You'll find some of the poth holes missing after wearing these.
Thanks for the reply Amit and Ilango!

Now I want to know is that which alloys are more strong; less spokes(4-5) or more spokes (10-multispokes)?

So, if alloy's allignment goes out, are they repairable like steel rims?

Yes, it does. But the difference is very negligible. When its specified as 185 section, it necessarily does not be 185, it may be lesser by a count or max two counts.

ilango[speed thirst];55934 said:
There is your answer. These make the tire 'appear' more wide/narrow.

Thanks for the reply Amit and Ilango!

Now I want to know is that which alloys are more strong; less spokes(4-5) or more spokes (10-multispokes)?

So, if alloy's allignment goes out, are they repairable like steel rims?
Right let's talk bout spokes [glasses], now,

Main factor why indian ppl put alloys on their rides is for looks, well a majority of them.

1) Choose the spokes pattern you like they are all manufactured in a real hardcore way, i saw a footage of alloys on Discovery once, i remember,

2) No. of spokes hardly has anything to with strength of alloys, because it's the material

3) The lesser the number of spokes the easier it is to maintain them. (i.e. clean, wash etc...)

4) A spokier design (i personally like multi-spokes),it may be slightly difficult to maintain them, but when ur ride's rollin on the road, they work like real spinners man, especially the chrome ones.

5) (i) Chrome alloys are the ones that attracts the customer's mind the most, buy Chrome alloys only and only if u live in some paush area, or the car doesn't travel much in rainy, waterlogged areas, (i.e because the salty water corrodes chrome electroplater layer very fast).

(ii) Chrome alloys require maintainance atleast a month, u some nice chrome polish, if u intend to put chromes. Reputed Chrome alloys would cost you atleast Rs.14000 for DZire.

Other option is you can go for machined alloys, they are silver ones, or carbon alloys, greyish black or complete black ones. They should be starting at around Rs.10000 of a set of 4,

(iii) If chrome starts to erode off, it can be electroplated again but then it's the whole wheel and not just the scratched part, and mind it this is real expensive job. and not readily available with every alloys dealer.

6) Alignment of alloy wheeled ride, doesn't depend on the number of spokes alloys has, it depends on the alloy wheel size and weight.

And finally a myth about alloy wheels, that people have

"Yaar alloys se gaadi heavy ho jayegi aur mileage bhi kam degi, kya faayda ???"

And the truth behind :- Alloy Wheels are somewhat lighter than steel rims, coz of the light material used and secondly mileage factor doesn't depend on the alloys, it depends on how much wide ur tyres are.

Sorry, i answered some chrome answers too, which u didn't ask, but i felt, u are worth helpin [;)]

Yes, it does. But the difference is very negligible. When its specified as 185 section, it necessarily does not be 185, it may be lesser by a count or max two counts.

There is your answer. These make the tire 'appear' more wide/narrow.
Thanks for the reply Sachin!

Right let's talk bout spokes [glasses], now,

Main factor why indian ppl put alloys on their rides is for looks, well a majority of them.

1) Choose the spokes pattern you like they are all manufactured in a real hardcore way, i saw a footage of alloys on Discovery once, i remember,

2) No. of spokes hardly has anything to with strength of alloys, because it's the material

3) The lesser the number of spokes the easier it is to maintain them. (i.e. clean, wash etc...)

4) A spokier design (i personally like multi-spokes),it may be slightly difficult to maintain them, but when ur ride's rollin on the road, they work like real spinners man, especially the chrome ones.

5) (i) Chrome alloys are the ones that attracts the customer's mind the most, buy Chrome alloys only and only if u live in some paush area, or the car doesn't travel much in rainy, waterlogged areas, (i.e because the salty water corrodes chrome electroplater layer very fast).

(ii) Chrome alloys require maintainance atleast a month, u some nice chrome polish, if u intend to put chromes. Reputed Chrome alloys would cost you atleast Rs.14000 for DZire.

Other option is you can go for machined alloys, they are silver ones, or carbon alloys, greyish black or complete black ones. They should be starting at around Rs.10000 of a set of 4,

(iii) If chrome starts to erode off, it can be electroplated again but then it's the whole wheel and not just the scratched part, and mind it this is real expensive job. and not readily available with every alloys dealer.

6) Alignment of alloy wheeled ride, doesn't depend on the number of spokes alloys has, it depends on the alloy wheel size and weight.

And the truth behind :- Alloy Wheels are somewhat lighter than steel rims, coz of the light material used and secondly mileage factor doesn't depend on the alloys, it depends on how much wide ur tyres are.

Sorry, i answered some chrome answers too, which u didn't ask, but i felt, u are worth helpin [;)]
Well well, thanks for the info amit, and especially about chromes; but any how if I would go for alloys, I would not go for Chromes, simply because Chrome alloys does not suits on Siler cars; atleast I feel so. I would rather go for black and silver combo or dull silver(i dont know their technical name!)
-----------Next Post-----------

Buddy this is one of the reason/myth my dad wants to stay away from alloys!
Also some one told him that alloys reduces mileage;
once they went out, you cannot repair or make them proper; etc..[frustration]

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Sachin!

Well well, thanks for the info amit, and especially about chromes; but any how if I would go for alloys, I would not go for Chromes, simply because Chrome alloys does not suits on Siler cars; atleast I feel so. I would rather go for black and silver combo or dull silver(i dont know their technical name!)
I like chromes, but they tend to turn fadish after a year or two, and they require maintenance more than normal alloys,

their technical name is machined black, machinded silver, carbon black etc....[;)]
once they went out, you cannot repair or make them proper; etc..[frustration]
i dont' understand wat u meant by the above line [confused]

Last edited:
I like chromes, but they tend to turn fadish after a year or two, and they require maintenance more than normal alloys,

their technical name is machined black, machinded silver, carbon black etc....[;)]

i dont' understand wat u meant by the above line [confused]
Aare I mean to say that some one told my dad that, ek baar alloy wheel out ho jaye toh barabar nahi ho sakte..(in other words; people told him that alloys wheels cannot be aligned and balanced!)[frustration]

Aare I mean to say that some one told my dad that, ek baar alloy wheel out ho jaye toh barabar nahi ho sakte..(in other words; people told him that alloys wheels cannot be aligned and balanced!)[frustration]
no that's completely wrong thing, once an alloy wheel starts to balance out i.e. shrinks or has unregular expansion it is treated with heat and sport welding if it's too much bent, to make it look right, for a better finish, chrome or other colour is put on it,

Top Bottom