Tyre Burst in Mahindra Xylo!

I was about to start a new thread about how to handle a tyre(with tube) burst.
After going through this thread am shocked, now am thinking: are we safe with these tyres?
I always do 90-100KMPH.
How to handle a front tyre burst at this speed?
Members please share your experiences if you already experienced one.

That one scary description,so many people paid with there lives cos of one tire defect, Is it possible tire pressure was not checked for 7 months leading to over heating?

Anyways i know this thread is from 2009 but can anyone or Raj perhaps give us an idea of what brand this tire was?

A cousin of a close friend of mine expired in an accident recently. Details are as below-

This incident happened in UP 3 days back. My friend's cousin & 3 of his friends were traveling in a mahindra xylo, bought in Feb 2009. they were on their way to the airport at the car was doing 80-90 kmph. suddenly the front right tyre bursts, the car skids & knocks off a motorcyclist, crashes against a big divider & topples 3-4 times to the opposite lane. a zen estilo coming from the opposite side again dashed this toppled xylo, the estilo was estimated to be at 90-100 kmph. it is said that all the occupants were safe till the xylo toppled. this guy (my friend's cousin) was seated in the back seat & the impact with the estilo caused many internal injuries to him. by the time the police arrived on the scene, this guy was still conscious but as medical help was not provided on time, the guy died on the way to the hospital, which was very far from the venue of accident. the estilo had 3 occupants & all of them died on the spot. other than this, there were 2 bystanders who came in the way of the toppling xylo, even they died on the spot.

now, what i wanted to know was-

1) what could be the reason for the tyre burst? since the vehicle was brand new, even the tyres were new.

2) as far as i know, xylos come with tubeless tyres & i was wondering, how could a tubeless tyre 'burst' leading to such a disastorous acccident? arent tubless tyres supposed to leak slowly?

3) who is to be blamed? mahindra or the tyre company?
It's really sad to know about this incident. My sincere condolence for the deceased's family.

Now, for how long the vehicle was driven continuously? Maybe it got over heated and hence the burst. Also, it could be a possibility that the tyre had some manufacturing defect from the very start which was not discovered. Tubeless tyres bursting is not a very rare possibility though reasons could be different from manufacturing defects to poor maintenance to nails/stones on the road. Some time back a similar tyre burst claimed the life of Sam Kapassi too.

freakdude.

Last edited:
That is scary & if this had happened in another developed country say US there would have been a huge recall of tyres & the manufacturer would have at least temporarily stopped that brand of tyres on all its cars or a lawsuit. But well this is India everything gets brushed under the carpet.

Like someone said its scary that if it was a case of a single defective tyre it resulted in the loss of lives so should have been investigated!

If all else is right, I can only think of overpressure in the tyres, most of the times the people who are pressurizing your tyres are really teens & boys who still use mechanical handheld guages to check pressure.

Guyz,

This accident is really disturbing even though happened 4 years ago.

Now what can be the precautions to be taken to avoid a Tyre burst.Can you all list down some checklist kind of stuff.

Also how to react after a Tyre burst?

If its really a burst & not just a leak & that too at a high speed then I am sure there will be no time to react or do anything unfortunately[roll]. One can just check the damage after the everything comes to a standstill!

Although now I am concerned about the over/wrong tyre pressure part. Usually there is a lower to upper range like 32-35 & I am guessing its best to accurately stay between those.

Last edited:
Guyz,

This accident is really disturbing even though happened 4 years ago.

Now what can be the precautions to be taken to avoid a Tyre burst.Can you all list down some checklist kind of stuff.

Very disturbing news, hope the families of the deceased might have come out of the shock by now.

Accidents may happen even if we are very cautious too, perhaps due to the fault of other road users. But in situations like a tyre burst, if we apply the correct procedure in the right time can help you to avoid accidents.

Few guidelines are there in the link below:

Driving emergency: Tyre blowout, burst tyres

Top Bottom