Tyre Alignment and Balancing

Sir, how to rotate in such conditions,is it based on thread wear ?
My front 2 tyres have thread wear with normal run ,while rear two doesn't have been affected out much.I will post thread wear of each tyre within few days.

Sir, how to rotate in such conditions,is it based on thread wear ?
My front 2 tyres have thread wear with normal run ,while rear two doesn't have been affected out much.I will post thread wear of each tyre within few days.
Please post each tyre picture I will suggest you what to do. Tomorrow I will post how check alignment.

-suryaputhra

@ilango[speed thirst], Degrees are for measuring angular or circular objects, linear measurements are measured in mm, cm etc. degrees to mm conversion not accurate there are mathematical formulae but precision loses.

As per our experience we regularly see toe tread wear in my multi brand workshop. We have several alignment machines and data for several cars. the values I have given in my post for small cars. That holds good for medium sized cars too. Pls provide me any definitive link for "Toe in MM was in practice earlier as there was no instrument to measure the toe in degree min and we are accustomed to that."

"Overall designing of toe angles is a complex subject of the manufacturer and nothing to do with alignment manufacturer.!". This is where I suggested accuracy tool which is supported by many manufactures.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:
I got my wheels aligned and balanced today as one of my friend was driving the car and he told normally your car alignment is perfect but today see it takes to a side,and so i immediately planned to do the same,as i was free in noon.
Wheel rotation and balancing was done at a local shop(Trust me the work was so professional there)
As the saying goes don't judge by looks,the shop doesn't have attractive looks,but the brother there has all tools for tyres.He first removed the passenger side front and rear tyre(One having patched up).He told let these 2 remain like this as the wear isn't there in front and also if the rear one is changed with other side rear ,it won't do a moderate rotation.
Wheel was balanced after the existing stock balance was removed,wheels were cleaned and then rotated.He wasn't in hurry at all he took good care of alloys also.
Then he moved to driver side and interchanged front and back,as the misalignment was towards right,he checked front wheels for wear and showed me the same ,how the tyre is very lightly threading off at corner side.
The process took about 15min and cost was 350/-

As the shop didn't have wheel alignment there i took the car to mu usual shop where i do alignment .I also recommend all to do alignment at a single place ,don't keep changing places,as each machine have its calliberation.
The alignment was done to best ,with charge of 360(The guy there again refilled n2,as i was in a call i didn't check that ),hence 10rs extra [;)]

Sorry to Mr.suryaputhra ,as i couldn't post snaps,sir,the issue is my phone cam doesn't work ,i rely on my dad's phone for same,when he comes back from office ,its night time so low light .Really sorry sir.

Is Wheel Alignment / Balancing a Myth?

Bought a VW Polo TDI last September. All went good and was super excited to get the power packed red car.

IMG_20161215_181204.jpg
in Tata Team Museum, Munnar

It served well in my daily office commutes which took around 60kms a day. Did the periodic inspection @7500 km and walked out of the service center as a happy customer. [cheers]

Used to hear about the need of periodic wheel alignments do be done in every 5k kms. But I was a bit lazy, also didn't feel like there is a need to do some alignment checks as the car was doing great in the roads.

Somehow I decided to visit a tyre show. By then Polo*had already clocked around 12k kms. Googled the reviews of tyre shops in and around Trivandrum, found New Bharath near Anathapuri Hospitals in Trivandrum as a better option.

Wheel balancing machine was not working when I visited. So I did only the wheel alignment which costs 440 INR. The steering felt super lite after the alignment and the ride was much more comfortable [clap]. Also recommended my father to do the same in his WagonR which already had around 25k kms and is yet to do an alignment check. (may be during periodic services, the service center guys had done wheel alignments)

New Bharath promised to do a free check up after 1500 kms. Also the technician said they can do the wheel balancing and rotation while doing this check up. So after 2-3 weeks I went there for free check up + wheel balancing and rotation. Though the check up was free, they charged around 680 INR for wheel balancing and rotation. My father did the same in a local shop in Balaramapuram for 400 INR (for 400 INR, they did wheel alignment, balancing and rotation in WagonR).

The real problem started after this second appointment. It started feeling vibrations in the steering and a leftward drift while driving in straight roads.

Next day another friend also noted the same while driving my car. I took the car to New Bharath again and reported this issue. The technician said this is common in all cars after rotating the tyres. It will take time to adjust with this new position.

Anyone else experienced the same? Should I take my car to some other tire shop?

The problems started only after the wheel balancing. Is it necessary to do periodic wheel alignment and other fundas on a periodic basis or is this a myth which every car owner follows in every few kms?

Re: Is Wheel alignment/balancing a myth?

I have written numerous posts on wheel alignment and balancing in this forum stating that both are not at all required. These shops do more harm than good. Some where in the forum I have written article on wheel alignment pls go through that. Few of my cars crossed 40K Km still running on factory alignment and balancing.

-suryaputhra

I have written numerous posts on wheel alignment and balancing in this forum stating that both are not at all required. These shops do more harm than good. Some where in the forum I have written article on wheel alignment pls go through that. Few of my cars crossed 40K Km still running on factory alignment and balancing.

-suryaputhra
Hi @Suryaputhra, I checked a few of your other threads. But people were recommending periodic wheel balancing in those posts. Which thread are you referring?

Hi @Suryaputhra, I checked a few of your other threads. But people were recommending periodic wheel balancing in those posts. Which thread are you referring?
I have posted 655 posts not remember, but above my opinion is based on my technical knowledge and experience, I never recommend and do my self wheel balancing and alignment. It is required only at the time of when suspension components replaced, even then just using toe bar and manufacturer service manual. If someone wants to do wheel alignment and balancing at every 5k its up to them.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:

I would add that you should find a good shop. I was recommended to go to this shop at Century bazaar, prabhadevi. I have been there twice, at 10000 and again at 15000km and he refuses to do alignment or balancing if he feels its not required

Ameyam

It sounds rational.

I think we should pay periodic visits to a professional tyre mechanic and get our tyres checked rather than visiting them only after a tyre puncture or some other undesired situations.

Top Bottom