Tyre Air Leaking Through Rim

Thread Starter #1
Guys this time i m here to know the solution of leaking air from rim as one of my best friend having this problem and he is not able to use that Tyre.That is tubeless Tyre.shall he need to replace the whole rim?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys this time i m here to know the solution of leaking air from rim as one of my best friend having this problem and he is not able to use that Tyre.That is tubeless Tyre.shall he need to replace the whole rim?

swiftkolkata (or probably fiestakolkata now [:)]), there are 3 things your friend can do:
Air leaking is caused generally by a bent rim or rust, but bent rim is the main cause now a days.
1) Go to the tyre shop and have them hammer the rim to the original shape. 60% of the cases, this will solve the problem. Actually there are two bends on the rim. If the outer bend is bent, then you can safely hammer that back. If its the inner rim then its more difficult. Some shops have a machine that does this (i.e brings the rim back to shape) however I think 13 or 14 inch is the highest it can handle.
2) If it does not work; you can replace the rim.. I think cost is near about Rs.1000/- but would depend on the size of the tyre.
3) Or you can have a tube put in the tyre. Cost is near about Rs.500/- for the tube but you loose the advantages of tubeless tyre. This is the last option.

The tyre shop people are eager towards point 2 & 3 because they can sell something, however validate that the rim is truly irrecoverable before you go for point 2 & 3.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Buying a Used Fiat Linea ?

chayan can you suggest me few tyre shop where he can have rim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably any tyre stockist that sells tyres. Check with Indo Radial (near Netaji metro station), Gopal Trading (Rajarhat) . MD tradelink (VIP) to name a few.. depends on where your friend's stays. Call before your visit.

I had the same problem with my Sonata. Took it to 2-3 shops and nobody could figure out what was the problem.

Than i took it to the dealer and he told me that my rim has bend and needs a replacement. And i would suggest that your friend replace the rim because using a hammer will not solve the problem permanently, infact it might cause more damage to the rim and it might also damage the tire.

So replacing the rim will be a wise decision.

My old zen had similar problem where person hammered the rim and then put some solution between tyre and rim where the rim was hammered and problem was resolved.

Thread Starter #7
some Tyre repair shop told my friend to convert that particular tyre to withtube tyre.What is risk pros.and cons.of this conversion.

He is simply trying to sell you a tube, avoid the guy.
Try fixing the rim at a reputed/reliable dealer, its probably a simply case of either rust or some dust/dirt getting stuck due to which the tire is not beading with the rim properly.
You can identify the particular place by using a soap water solution (sometimes plain water will not detect a very small leak).
The rim if its slightly deformed can be fixed, but if the deformity is high its best to replace the rim.
Go step by step!

Last edited:
some Tyre repair shop told my friend to convert that particular tyre to withtube tyre.What is risk pros.and cons.of this conversion.
With a tube inside the tyre, it loses all advantages of a tubeless one :-). One nail and you get you hands dirty.
If the rim is totally irrecoverable; you can have put a tube as a stop gap and keep the tyre as stepny.

I have a Activa 5g with tubeless tyre. Issue is with rear tyre . Earlier there was a puncture which was taken care of but even after that air still escapes in 5 to 6 days of filling it. I have even changed the valve but no use. Then twice I was informed that air was escaping from the side rim and the tyre was opened twice by 2 diferent local mechanic and cleaned and they put some solution to the tyre but issue still persists. Now I have been given a suggestion to put a tube inside the tyre also swap the rear tyre from front tyres. I would really need help would this be the only solution or could someone help me with what is to be done now

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I had this problem with my Scooter - My maestro Edge back tyre having the problem of losing air on its own and I need to top up the air once in 10 to 15 days. Initially, I thought it may be due to puncture and took the scooter to nearby puncture shops who filled up some air and checked for punctures but no trace of puncture anywhere in the tyre.

After a month, I took my scooter to another tyre work shop who has the water tank testing facility. Filled the tyre with full air and immersed it in the tank. No leak found on the Valve or valve base, but found small bubbles escaping in between the rim and tyre edge. So that's the leak which has been causing for many days. The reason, according to the guy, that there was minor coating done on the rim which started coming out here and there (due to heat). So there is a gap formed between the tyre edge and the rim where the paint coating has come out and air escapes through that space.

He suggested two ways to prevent this - either clean the rim i.e remove complete coating (which will take a long time), or change to the tube. Changing another tyre will not help unless the rim coating has been removed fully. So, I have asked him to put a tube and since there was no problem.

deville_56

Honoured Member
Putting tube is a bad idea. This is a common occurrence, even our FZ had this issue, and too frequent like losing 10 PSI in a day or 2. Remove the tyre, use a sand paper and sand the rim edge a bit and apply some primer (optional). Clean the tyre beading and install back. It would work fit without any leak. Many times it would be rust formation where the tyre seats in.

In the worst case, can replace the rim instead of putting a tube. Tubeless is always safer and convenient.

Last edited:

Top Bottom