TVS Max 100-R - Bringing It Back To Life

Thread Starter #1
Hello There, This thread is going to be about my Dad's TVS max 100-R bike. It was bought by my dad in the year 2003 I was 8 years old then. He used it for couple of years and then gave it to a family friend till 2013. From then it was used by dad and my elder brother till 2018 until my brother bought another bike.
Since then the bike was not used much and sat idle the major reason it was parked at home was because the RC was expired in the year 2018 and we did not have original RC. I did file complaint of missing RC in local police station but no one in family bothered to renew the RC.

Last year dad expired in July and after few months people started asking to give bike to them as it was not in use. But without documents it was risk to hand over the bike to anyone because any fine or challan would be on my fathers name so I did not agree to just give it to anyone else. I also had memories of going on rides on this bike with my father.

So last month I decided that bike should not be kept idle else its condition will deteriorate further and it will be of no use. So I tried starting it but it did not start. The petrol tank lock was not working and petrol would evaporate another reason was it was not started even once in 6 months. So I brought a friend who is a mechanic and he came home and looked at it. He suggested to check if current is passing or not, upon checking the current was there in the wire so he checked by changing the spark plug. Still it did not start then he drained the carburettor and then it came back to life and I had a beaming smile on my face.

After keeping it at idle for few minutes I went for a short ride and filled some petrol in it. Then next day I went to autoparts shop to buy Petrol tank lock. I got a new lock for 140 rs. and then went to my mechanic to see what work needs to be done.
The Front brake lever was very hard , the rear brake pads were also worn out so bought front and rear brake pads and front brake cable along with Castrol GO engine Oil. The brake pads were original TVS make and costed 170 each, the cable was 80 rupees and engine oil was 230 rupees.
Got the brakes fixed and carburettor cleaned thoroughly. The Air filter was in bad condition and needed replacement so got a new one for 40. When he was draining old oil surprisingly the oil was not black, it was in new condition maybe because after oil change the bike was hardly used so mechanic asked to keep the same Oil. I was a bit skeptical about the viscosity of the oil as it was around 8 months since the bike was not used.

More details in the next post.

Thread Starter #2
Attaching Few Photos
This is the present condition of the bike.
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-30 at 7.07.30 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-30 at 7.07.29 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-30 at 7.12.31 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-30 at 7.07.29 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-30 at 7.12.31 PM (2).jpeg

Things that need Immediate Attention:

1. The Shock absorbers are weak, front oil seal is gone and Oil is leaking from fork and rear end touches tire when two people are riding.
2. Ignition Lock set needs replacement as bike can be unlocked with any other key easily.
3. Side panels are broken due to seat. The seat keeps moving to and fro and presses weight on side panel.
4. Seat needs to be fixed.
5. 2T Oil is leaking from somewhere. The oil tank is fine but oil leaks from sump.
6. Engine Oil change { The mechanic said existing oil is in good condition }.
7. New rear tyre.

It had both new tyres which were not much used and few months back I gave the rear tyre to my cousin.

Thread Starter #3
Some Details About Bike:

Engine - 98.2cc
Stroke - 2
Max Power - 7.8bhp@5500rpm
Max Torque9.8 Nm @5000 rpm
Fuel Tank -12 Litres
130 mm Drum brakes , No Tachometer, No fuel Guage.

I am looking for someone who can repair the speedometer because it was stopped working at around 30k years back. Checked with almost every person who works on speedometer but they said they can't repair it in mahabubnagar. The gear worm in front wheel is not easily available and last time i purchased one which was made of plastic. The meter worked for few days and then it stopped again. I have got new meter cable but gear worm was not available.

Have ordered Shock absorbers, lock set and side panels from Auto parts shop. I will update once I install these.
The shock absorber is from Endurance Brand but most TVS bikes had GABRIEL brand so I am worried about the quality of Endurance.

deville_56

Honoured Member
The shock absorber is from Endurance Brand but most TVS bikes had GABRIEL brand so I am worried about the quality of Endurance.
Nothing to worry of. Endurance is also one of the OEM vendors for TVS. Their clientele includes most of the two-wheelers made in India including erstwhile Harley. They even manufacture the WP USD shock for KTM.

Thread Starter #5
Hello there, today I fixed the seat issue. The old nut and bolt was jammed and seat would make to and fro movement. One side bolt was easy to remove but the other one was rusted and very stubborn. It was very difficult to remove it but in the end it came off.

Now the seat is fixed and also installed tank cover as it was getting scratches. Soon I will be installing rear shock absorber and front fork oil seal. Rear tyre is also flat now and needs replacement.

Thread Starter #6
Hello Everyone,

I have repaired the Speedometer myself few days back, thanks to youtube I could reset it to 00000. Saw some Youtube videos on how to fix the speedometer and it helped me a lot. The plastic gears were worn out but after lubricating they started to rotate and fixed a new needle as old one was broken. Next thing was to find a gear worm which is in front wheel drum. The one available at local shop was plastic one with wider teeth so it would not fit in my bike, but found another one which fits in my bike. It was made of metal so it would last long. The accuracy is not perfect because for 1km the meter shows around 800m distance travelled. The speed also is not accurate I feel because after giving full throttle the speed never touched 60.

I have received the Lock set and Clutch plates but could not source Rear shock absorbers. If anyone knows whether they are available in Hyderabad then I will buy it from there.

thanks.

Thread Starter #7
Hello TAI members,

Last week some work was done on my TVS. I have installed the new Lock Set and Clutch plates and also changed Engine Oil. I went to my mechanic and he first changed the lock set and removed the clutch plates, the cluth rubber set was also replaced as per his advice, the rubber costed 50 rupees and the person charged 50 for installing the new ones. Then I bought Castrol GO engine oil.
The process of installing the clutch plates was a tricky one or looked difficult maybe due to mechanic not having exact tools to remove things. There are springs inside which need to be pulled and locked, the spring is inside the small hole and it has to be pulled outside and then lock it.He failed many times in doing this. After fixing everything when he checked the clutch was not working. He checked the clutch cable and tried adjusting it but it did not help. I asked him if he fixed the clutch plates accurately or missed anything to which he said everything is perfect. Then I was feeling hungry as it was 3pm so He asked me to come after lunch so I excused him. When I went there at 5:30 he had fixed it. Then I filled 200 rupees of petrol and went to home, later that evening I went to a function 10km away from city and while coming bike when I reached the parking I saw that petrol was leaking from carburetor. I dont know the exact reason but when I turned off the knob the leakage stopped, and bike did not start for some time. Then after trying it started and I came back home. This is the first time it happend and there was just 2 litres of fuel in tank.

I will be posting photos in the next post.
Thanks.

I saw that petrol was leaking from carburetor. I dont know the exact reason but when I turned off the knob the leakage stopped, and bike did not start for some time.
Carburetor float is stuck.
Gentle tap on the carb (bottom cup) should solve the issue, if not, get it serviced.

Top Bottom