TVS Apache RTR 160 Road Tested; RTR 180 on Pg.2!

Thread Starter #16
TVS Apache RTR 180 Road Review

TVS Apache RTR 180 Road Test Review

SN852674.JPG

The trend of high cc bikes is on. These days more and more people prefer 150cc bikes over 100/125cc commuters. The major share is of the youth. TVS launched Apache RTR 160 for such people.
Following the RTR160 came, the RTR 180 which posed a direct competition to the Pulsar 180. So here a short review of the TVS Apache RTR 180.
(Since we have already tested the RTR 160 in past, we have highlighted only those features which are different from its younger sibling)

SN852677.JPG

How it looks?
The Apache RTR 180 RTR is same as tat of RTR 160 when it comes to styling. The only difference being the RTR decal which sweeps from the cowl onto the fuel tank. Nevertheless, it definitely looks appealing. It is a kind of safe and decent styling; the fascia looks fresh with a smiling headlamp, giving an impression that bike is gladly inviting you to check out its strength. Inside this assembly accommodates a couple of pilot lamps which lights up pretty well during evening.

Almost all the bike manufacturers recently switched to the Digital obsession, and Apache is no different. The cluster has a digital speedometer, clock, fuel gauge, trip meter and a lap timer. The tachometer is Analog with RTR embossed on its white background unlike the dark shade seen on the RTR 160. Daytime visibility is quite impressive, though the real attraction is when the digital meter lights up with the blue glow.

Also the rear fender is removable which allows the rider to customize the looks of his ride as per his choice. On the edge of this fender sits a rectangular reflector

SN852680.JPG

How it Performs?
The RTR stands for “Racing Throttle Response” and true to its name; similar to its younger sibling, the RTR 180 is a performer.
I could easily achieve figure of a hundred without much effort. Gearbox has similar mechanism as that of current ones. It has 1 down and 4 up shifts which is bit stiff. Gearbox has been borrowed from its 160cc sibling.

The only thing which I found a bit exasperating with the RTR 180 was the infuriatingly high engine noise at speeds of 70-80kmph. The resonance gives an impression that the engine is being strained though it isn’t the real case. After you are par with 80kmph, the sound reducing giving you a pleasure of cruise.

SN852682.JPG

How it Handles?
The MIG shocks found on the RTR 160 do have been employed for the job here too. Which is why high speeds could be handled with ease engrossing most of the bumps to give a gratifying pillion ride experience?

The riding position too is similar to its sibling. Slightly stepped up seats add to the comfort to the pillion rider. Now RTR comes with two setting the handle bar adjustment to allow the rider to adjust the position of handle bar as per his needs. Front 90/90 X 17’’ and rear 110/80 X 18” TVS tires give an optimum grip to give you a higher confidence while cornering sharp curves. The rear tyres are a bit more wider than its 160cc counter part.
The brakes are supportive with Front 270MM Disc Petal in the front and 200MM rear disc brake. The bike uses Roto Petal Disc Brakes for both front and rear that are competent of bringing you to a standstill at whatever instance you wish for.

How much it returns?
Being a 180cc bike, one must not expect a great fuel efficiency. This 180cc is able to deliver fuel efficiency figures of 45KMPL, which is decent though not impressive.

What's the Verdict?
TVS Apache RTR is a great bike for young enthusiasts who want a combination of power and style. Since we don’t have many 180cc bikes, Apache RTR 180 is a good substitute to Bajaj Pulsar 180.

Visual Differences from RTR 160:

RTR Decal which sweep from Cowl onto the Fuel tank
Copper colored MIG Shocks
Digital meter with Blue Illumination
Tachometer with white background
Wider rear Tyre

Official Website: here

What we Like in Apache?[thumbsup]
• Smart Looks
• Smooth Engine
• Good Handling

What we Dis-Like in Apache?[thumbsdown]
• Not Best for tall riders
• Stiff Gearshift
• Fuel Efficiency

Star Ratings:
• Engine & Performance: (4.5/5)
• Looks & Design: (4.5/5)
• Handling & Ride Quality: (4/5)
• Fuel Efficiency: (3/5)
• Value For Money: (4/5)

Engine
Type: 4 Stroke, Air Cooled
Displacement: 177.4 cc
Max Power: 12.52 KW (17 BHP) @ 8500RPM
Maximum Torque: 15.5 NM @ 6500 RPM
Starting: Electric & Kick Start
Ignition: IDI-Dual Mode Digital

Transmission:
Clutch: Wet, Multiplate
Gear: 5 Speed

Suspension:
Front: Telescopic Forks, 105MM Stroke
Rear: Monotube Inverted Gas Filled Shox (MIG) with Spring Aid

Brakes:
Front: 270MM Petal Disc
Rear: 200MM Disc

Tires:
Front: 90/90 X 17’’
Rear: 100/80 X 18”

Dimensions:
Length: 2085 MM
Height: 1100 MM
Width: 730 MM
Fuel tank capacity: 16 litre (2.5 Litre Reserve)
Ground clearance: 180 MM
Wheelbase: 1326 MM

SN852675.JPG

SN852680.JPG

SN852681.JPG

SN852688.JPG

SN852696.JPG

SN852698.JPG

SN852704.JPG

SN852707.JPG

SN852711.JPG

SN852713.JPG

SN852714.JPG

SN852715.JPG

SN852716.JPG

SN852717.JPG

SN852718.JPG

SN852719.JPG

Last edited:
I suggested this ride to my cousin and he is happily owning it(RTR-180 Pearl White)! Though I have not personally taken a testdrive, I feel that it might be uncomfortable for highted people. I even suggested him P180UG4, but he wanted something new...[lol]

nice review!! I absolutely adore this bike. I find this bike third best after FZ-16 and R15. Still the third option is quite nice! LOL

Thread Starter #19
Thanks Archit.
@gears- Buddy i have already mentioned in the RTR 160 report that the Apache isnt suitable for tall riders!

AMG

Suspended
@ akash

The almost everyone who I have talked to says that the stock tyres are Pathetic.

What did you feel about them?

BTW, how tall are you?

Thread Starter #22
@ akash
The almost everyone who I have talked to says that the stock tyres are Pathetic.
What did you feel about them?
Yes, TVS tires are inferior when compared to MRF which come with most of the bikes of this segment. They are a bit disappointing when it comes to grip on corners. But thanks to a bit wider tires on RTR 180, which slightly helps it grip the roads better.

BTW, how tall are you?
I am 6ft, which is why i posted the following info in the original TVS Apache RTR 160 Review on pg1.
....However, if you are tall rider (6+ ft), then better look out for something else in the dense competition

Excellent photos and review Akash! If i was not tall i would have bought Apache only instead of my Pulsar! But hey i feel the FE of 45kmpl isnt that bad considering the performance of the bike!

Yeah the Zappers are quite reliable in my Pulsar!

Thread Starter #24
Excellent photos and review Akash! If i was not tall i would have bought Apache only instead of my Pulsar! But hey i feel the FE of 45kmpl isnt that bad considering the performance of the bike!
Thanks friend. About the FE i agree 45kmpl is a good figure for a 180cc bike, but from most of the real owners i came to know that mostly the figure is around 40kmpl!

Yeah the Zappers are quite reliable in my Pulsar!
Yeah, even my Stunner has MRF Zappers which provided better grip as compared to TVS tires.

Top Bottom