TVS Apache RTR 160 Road Tested; RTR 180 on Pg.2!

Thread Starter #1
SN852427 copy.jpg

Indian Bike Market is currently jam packed with standard 150cc motor cycles range, Almost all of them boast their own strengths, but at the same time, they have their own weaknesses too and this could literally translate in more confusion for a typical buyer. Therefore, The Automotive India took one of the finest and most talked contender of this segment for a spin to check out its qualities and flaws. Meet the TVS Apache RTR 160.

The TVS Apache RTR 160 has been around for quite sometime and is one of the most favorite models for biking passionate and so the popular model from the stable of TVS. Initially, Apache was launched with 150cc heart, although it was not an instant hit, but still it did manage to sell in decent numbers. However, with minimal styling, TVS was not able to impress the Y-Gen out there, and as a result they finally had to try something new and different, then came an all new surprise for us, which was an Apache plunked in with a 160cc engine with refreshed body works. Let’s check out.

SN852395 copy.jpg

How it looks?
For the one word answer, the new Apache definitely looks appealing. It is a kind of safe and decent styling; the fascia looks fresh with a smiling headlamp, giving an impression that bike is gladly inviting you to check out its strength. Inside this assembly accommodates a couple of pilot lamps which lights up pretty well during evening.

The well-sculpted visor complements the overall front and front mudguard has been decal-ed with racing strips, which look really sporty. The color of the strips is different for different body colors. Fuel tank sports an aircraft styled fuel cap. The addition of cowl, which has been well sticker, garnishes to give a muscular look. Give the bike a view from side, and you’ll find it a well grown baby having total length of 2020mm. The tail lamp comes with dual split LED brake lamps, and surely looks fantabulous at night, where as turn indicators look sharp and are just perfect for the job. If you give a closer look at the area near wheels, you will find the naked chain, which adds to the brawniness. Black alloys, black engine and black footrest! Everything’s black here. A body colored engine guard is nestled at the bottom of the engine, which completes the entire look.

Almost all the bike manufacturers recently switched to the Digital mania, and Apache is no different. The cluster has a digital speedometer, clock, fuel gauge, trip meter and a lap timer. The tachometer is Analog with RTR embossed on its background. Daytime visibility is quite impressive, though the real attraction is when the digital meter lights up with the orange glow.

SN852420 copy.jpg

How it Performs?
“Awesome” is what I uttered after getting off this bike from a joyful fast stretch on highway. This bike loves to be revved hard. The RTR stands for “Racing Throttle Response” and true to its name; the throttle response is absolutely breath taking. The response to stimulus here is quick and in no time, this bike zooms ahead to high speeds.

In spite of reaching a speed of 100kmph, it did not run out of breath, but was ready for more. The top speed I could achieve was a whopping 109kmph. High-speed handling is superb and the vibrations too are very less even at higher RPMs. The 159cc engine is able to deliver 15 Brake horse power, which not only sounds “Powerlicious” on paper, but can be felt during the ride too. Also, the exhaust note of RTR is personally my favorite, unlike the other bikes; its note is a bit sharp and gives an impression that you are riding a high cubic capacity bike.

Gearbox has similar mechanism as that of current ones. It has 1 down and 4 up shifts which is bit stiff. It takes a good effort to up shift the gears. We hope that TVS works in this area because a little refinement is actually needed.

Thread Starter #2
SN852405 copy.jpg

How it Handles?

It could be handled with ease at most of the speeds due to the presence of a nice suspension, christened as MIG. Mono tube Inverted Gas Filled Shocks (MIG) with Spring aid absorbing most of the bumps to give a pleasurable pillion ride experience.

The riding position too is a lot better than predecessor. Slightly stepped up seats add to the comfort to the pillion rider. Now RTR comes with two setting the handle bar adjustment to allow the rider to adjust the position of handle bar as per his needs. Front 90/90 X 17’’ and rear 100/80 X 18” TVS tires give an optimum grip to give you a higher confidence while cornering sharp curves. The brakes are reassuring too. Apache RTR comes with Front 270MM Disc Petal in the front and 200MM rear disc brake.

SN852403 copy.jpg

How much it returns?
Even if Apache is a 160cc bike, it is able to deliver fuel efficiency figures of 45-55 KMPL, which is rather impressive. According to the SIAM Fuel Economy Data, TVS Apache RTR 160 is able to run 54.20km in a liter of fuel. This is almost 3-5kmpl lesser than it 150cc predecessor.

What's the Verdict?
TVS Apache RTR is a great bike for young enthusiasts who want a combination of power and style. It is sure a Value for Money product and backed by good after sales service of TVS Motors. However, if you are tall rider (6+ ft), then better look out for something else in the dense competition.

Thread Starter #3
SN852385 copy.jpg

Price:
Rs.65,500 (Approx. On road, Delhi)

Official Website: Click Here

What we Like in Apache? [thumbsup]

• Looks
  • Smooth Engine
  • Good Handling

What we Dis-Like in Apache?
[thumbsdown]

• Not Best for tall riders
  • Stiff Gearshift
Star Ratings:

• Engine & Performance:
    (4.5/5)
  • Looks & Design:
    (4/5)
  • Handling & Ride Quality:
    (4/5)
  • Fuel Efficiency:
    (3.5/5)
  • Value For Money:
    (4/5)

Thread Starter #4
SN852394 copy.jpg

Engine
:

• Type: 4 Stroke, Air Cooled
  • Displacement: 159.7cc
  • Max Power: 11.19KW (15.2 BHP) @ 8500RPM
  • Maximum Torque: 13.1 NM @ 6000RPM
  • Starting: Electric & Kick Start
  • Ignition: IDI-Dual Mode Digital

Transmission:

• Clutch: Wet, Multiplate
  • Gear: 5 Speed

Suspension:

• Front: Telescopic Forks, 105MM Stroke
  • Rear: Monotube Inverted Gas Filled Shox (MIG) with Spring Aid

Brakes:

• Front: 270MM Petal Disc
  • Rear: 200MM Disc

Tires:

• Front: 90/90 X 17’’
  • Rear: 100/80 X 18”

Dimensions:

• Length: 2020 MM
  • Height: 1050 MM
  • Width: 730 MM
  • Kerb weight: 136 kg
  • Fuel tank capacity: 16 litre (2.5 Litre Reserve)
  • Ground clearance: 180 MM
  • Wheelbase: 1300 MM

Colors Available:

• Red
  • Black
  • Yellow
  • Grey (Matte Finish)
  • White
Credits:
Road Test & Photography: Akash
Edit & Format: 350Z

SN852443 copy.jpg
SN852409 copy.jpg

SN852412 copy.jpg

SN852414 copy.jpg

SN852420 copy.jpg
SN852422 copy.jpg

SN852423 copy.jpg

SN852424 copy.jpg

SN852437 copy.jpg

(C) 2010 The Automotive India. The review/pictures can not be reproduced in any form without written permission of The Automotive India Authorities.

Excellent write-up as usual 350Z and great TD and pictures Akash! I was just wondering as you are tall guy how you felt the handling and comfort and you said that in the end :"However, if you are tall rider (6+ ft), then better look out for something else in the dense competition."

This is the only reason i left out the Apache and picked up my Pulsar way back in 2007! Apart from this i love this bike and would have gone for Apache if i was short! I love the matte finish on Apache but its peeling off in my friend's bike in just 2 years![frustration]

nice review Akash! I really love this bike. It is so masculine. Now you have stated that there is performance also. I think the perfect all round bike and I'm not that tall so it will fit for me! LOL

Thread Starter #10
@cooldhaya- Thanks. Even i was keen on getting this bike but the its hort height made me to look for another bike. I find it a good performer at that price.

@typer- Thanks, yes Apache RTR is a performer.

@mukesh- Yes Apache RTR is available wit 180cc heart and even thats a good performer but like other 180's it isnt marketing well.

Amazing review guys. Kudos! apache thrilled market when it launched and i think its one of the best bike in segment with all great combinations of style and power like you said. the RTR is even a way more appealing.

@cooldhaya
can you tell more about peeling paint? i have seen some scratched ones but peeling indicate towards questionable paint job. [roll]

Well how to say! Layers of paint have been peeling off from his front mudguard in just two years. As the finish is matte it cant fade , so its gradually peeling off in layers.

But our member Racerdabba also has a matte finish RTR but his paint was in good condition , maybe just a rare case of defective painting for my friend.

Thread Starter #14
Well how to say! Layers of paint have been peeling off from his front mudguard in just two years. As the finish is matte it cant fade , so its gradually peeling off in layers.

But our member Racerdabba also has a matte finish RTR but his paint was in good condition , maybe just a rare case of defective painting for my friend.
oh. That may be an exceptional case. Even a junior of mine has matte finished Apache, but his paint condition is perfect.

Thread Starter #15
Excellent write-up as usual 350Z and great TD and pictures Akash! I was just wondering as you are tall guy how you felt the handling and comfort and you said that in the end :"However, if you are tall rider (6+ ft), then better look out for something else in the dense competition."
Yes, i found it a bit uncomfortable but then i had no other option. I had to bend myself to reach the handle bar, but this position is really not suitable for long trips. Hence for guys with medium height, this bike is really good. And the usp of this bike is its fun to drive nature.

Top Bottom