Turbo Charger

Thread Starter #1
IMP : This is from our previous forum
Link to Original Discussion : Click Here

Dr.A.K Tyagi said:
I have skoda Octavia 1.9tdi, the turbocharger of my car stop working within 42,000 km, I am very disapointe with the company to fitted sub standard part which is the most vital part of engine, when i contacted compny they refuse to replace turbocharger
So I want to know that is there any effect on the engine if I run my car without tuebocharger so long

raj_5004 said:
many engines work on different designs. since turbochargers are basically to improve the power output of the engine & do nothing else, i think it should not affect the normal functioning of the engine.

however, i would still advise you to change the turbo. i feel without the turbo, you car MAY not meet the pollution norms. also, the techincal guys at skoda know the best. do consult them on this issue too.
sudeepd said:
Turbocharged cars need Special Care.

The Engine SHOULD BE Run at Idle Rpm for 30 Seconds after Starting and Before Turning OFF the Engine.This Lubricates the Turbocharger thereby Increasing its Life.
Also DONT RACE THE ENGINE BEFORE TURNING OFF IT. Racing will damage the TC More.
I guess you have not followed this procedure.

BTW, how did you know that Turbocharger of your Octavia has Stopped working?I have Indigo LS which has covered 1,66,915kms. But still I don't face performance problems.

IMP
Turbocharged cars need Special Care.

The Engine SHOULD BE Run at Idle Rpm for 30 Seconds after Starting and Before Turning OFF the Engine.This Lubricates the Turbocharger thereby Increasing its Life.
Also DONT RACE THE ENGINE BEFORE TURNING OFF IT. Racing will damage the TC More.
I guess you have not followed this procedure.

BTW, how did you know that Turbocharger of your Octavia has Stopped working?I have Indigo LS which has covered 1,66,915kms. But still I don't face performance problems.
Again some part of this is like [shock]

There are so many TC'd cars on roads.None of them have any such rules of running at ideal for 30 sec after starting & before turning off the engine,Not to race before turning off the engine,etc.[lol]

I mean i have never heard of something like this.Neither is it give in the Owners Manual of any Turbo cars/vehicles.

We can know the Failure of turbo when there is a sudden loss in cars performance & you no more hear the turbo whistle/growl.

napster

Suspended
i dont think so..i remember reading somewhere that when a car is turbo charged and when driven without ripping the engine it gives better mileage along wiht better performance than it gives before turbocharging. and regarding the "do not race before turning off the engine" thing, here some of the drivers wantedly do that cause they are used to driving oldies which are adviced to race before turning off the engine :P

There are so many TC'd cars on roads.None of them have any such rules of running at ideal for 30 sec after starting & before turning off the engine,Not to race before turning off the engine,etc.

I mean i have never heard of something like this.Neither is it give in the Owners Manual of any Turbo cars/vehicl

i have a VERNA crdi and its given in my manual to idle the engine for atleast a minute before stopping it!!

Turbo Timing is not an oldies thing. Go to any GOOD tuner and ask him about turbo maintainence. the first thing he says is to let the turbo warm up and cool off before starting and shutting down.
Turbo temperatures go as high as 1500*c. If the engine is stopped suddenly, the oil flow to turbo stops, and it does not cool off. The bearing sleeves expand and contract heavily, due to the heat treatment, and their life is lowered significantly.
All turbo car owners[ even i was at a time[cry]] Please idle at start oand end of ur ride, or still better, install a Turbo Timer

i have a VERNA crdi and its given in my manual to idle the engine for atleast a minute before stopping it!!
A Turbo units turbine spins at a very high rpm (hundreds of thousands rpm), and a lot of turbos spin on lubricated bushes. Now if you start the engine and rev immediately, the turbo goes int its high speed spins, before the lubricating oil reaches the bushes, which could lead to premature failure of the turbo.
If you have stopped the car after a drive, the turbo could still be spinning at a very high rpm. Switching of your engine at this point would mean that the supply of oil to the turbo gets cut off, while the turbo is still spinning, which again, could lead to premature failure of the turbo unit.
This is the reason why one is advised to idle on starting and before switching off the engine.

Hey yes thanks for the advice CRDi!! Yeah this is what i do even though am in a hurry!! I don want to end up with a damaged turbo already!!

Racerdabba and crdi's points are exact. Its all about lubrication also the pressure build in. Lubrication is the important one here. Take a turbo fan and just blow gently , it will be rotating at 1500rpm. Then think about its funtion in its place.

I got my marina at 95000kms. I was worried if previous owner didnt follow the method. But as of now its working fine , If they have not followed properly , the life will come down.I am not sure in this point.

You people can even put a Turbo Timer to avoid sitting inside a car & idling the engine for 1 min.

P.S - Its already mentioned by racerdabba,dint read it.

regarding the "do not race before turning off the engine" thing, here some of the drivers wantedly do that cause they are used to driving oldies which are adviced to race before turning off the engine :P
this is because old diesel engines have a mechanical type fuel injection pump (which dont have solenoids like new engine to pump the diesel from fuel tank)
so to effortlessly start the engine you have to fill the fuel pump which is done by racing the engine before turning off

A Turbo units turbine spins at a very high rpm (hundreds of thousands rpm),
accurately it is 1,50,000rpm per 1000rpm of engine

Top Bottom