Tuning a Fiat Palio NV

Thread Starter #16
Well 240 bhp from a 1.6 means 150bhp/litre. From a NA engine, dont you think its a bit more than you can actually do? Unless you are running a race setup with bumped up comp and race fuel, its almost impossible. And for street tune with regular fuel, its impossible.
Motorbike engines get in excess of 180bhp per liter with regular fuel.

Renault is in process to release a Clio engine with 120bhp per liter with regular fuel.

We have done car engines around 150bhp per liter.

I am not claiming that this is a walk in the park nor am I claiming it is cheap. However, we can do it.

Thread Starter #18
@drifter,I May be bit naive to ask, but what about our National engine 1.3litre MJD how much potential do you see in it.
No question is naive.

The 1248cc M-Jet engine has got quite some tuning potential. I personally haven't had a lot of experience in tuning it as most of my clients over her in Europe usually go for the 1.6, 1.9 or 2.0M-Jets.

Currently I am working on the Swift. The results so far look promising, but testing is far from over, which means that product data will not be released till I am satisfied that we reach the targets set.

@drifter ,If you can promise anything near 150bhp for those 1.3 mjd heart ,it would be a great news for me . As i don't trust in race chips and piggy backs.

Thread Starter #20
@drifter ,If you can promise anything near 150bhp for those 1.3 mjd heart ,it would be a great news for me . As i don't trust in race chips and piggy backs.
One of our competitors who spent quite some time with the 1.3 has extracted 160bhp with a full TUV approval.

Depending on the fuel availability in India we can more or less close to this figure. I am working on it, but I will take my time to get things right.

When i sed impossible i meant the difficulty and reliablity part. Not the technical. It can be done and u can do it, but the overall reliablity and driveablity is questionable. The S2000 already runs 118 bhp/lt. WRC engines run that figure, but then their age is severely compromised.

Thread Starter #22
When i sed impossible i meant the difficulty and reliablity part. Not the technical. It can be done and u can do it, but the overall reliablity and driveablity is questionable. The S2000 already runs 118 bhp/lt. WRC engines run that figure, but then their age is severely compromised.
When you get a stock engine for a car that is around 10 lakh when leaving the show room you hardly will get anything with cutting edge technology. Spending little money doesn't get one much further. When spending money the power output can be made driveable and reliable. Bike engines often have a specific power output of 180+bhp per liter. Race bikes are even at 300+bhp per liter and they are not at their limits.

Car engines can within reason be built similar. Material scince has moved on quite a bit in recent times.

Of course nothing in extreme performance tuning is easy. I know a lot about it, but things can be done safely and reliably when done properly. Everyone wanting to cut corners will not reach the standards.

Im not cutting corners sir. But here in India you have to tackle two major problems. Fuel Quality, and Heat. In europe, u dont have to tackle these problems. Im not some ace tuner. Im a complete newbie, but the lack of aftermarket parts support creates a lot of problems. When i had turboed my F8B, i had run into heavy problems regarding parts support even though i had most of them with me. Even a blown seal is a heavy headache here. Add to that my car used to ping on anything less than 91octane, and used to overheat even after i ran rich! Thats India.

Thread Starter #24
Im not cutting corners sir. But here in India you have to tackle two major problems. Fuel Quality, and Heat. In europe, u dont have to tackle these problems. Im not some ace tuner. Im a complete newbie, but the lack of aftermarket parts support creates a lot of problems. When i had turboed my F8B, i had run into heavy problems regarding parts support even though i had most of them with me. Even a blown seal is a heavy headache here. Add to that my car used to ping on anything less than 91octane, and used to overheat even after i ran rich! Thats India.
I am not accusing you of cutting corners. And I am aware of the problems in India. I spend now about 2 years on researching the Indian market in order to solve the very problem you mention. Unfortunately I am currently not in the position to spent the majority of my time in India, but I spend as much as possible to do development work for Indian cars under Indian conditions. Only because of this I have created this thread and will create other threads too as soon as I have relevant test data. By November I do this kind of work for 32 years and am very well aware what the challenge is that is before me.

Top Bottom