Tribute To F1 Legend – Michael Schumacher

Re: Tribute To F1 Legend – Michael Schumacher

Schumacher to retire at the end of 2012

Michael Schumacher will retire from Formula 1 at the end of the 2012 season, the 43-year-old German announced on Thursday in Suzuka.

Following last week's announcement that the seven-time world champion will be replaced by Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes, Schumacher called a press conference along with the team in Japan to call time on a career that has spanned 21 years and more than 300 races.

Speaking of his decision, Schumacher said: "We did not achieve our targets but I can be happy about overall achievements in my career.

"I would like to thank Daimler, Mercedes-Benz, the team, my engineers and my mechanics for the trust they put in myself.

"I would like to concentrate now on the end of the season and enjoy those races with you."

Schumacher added that he had felt his energy and enthusiasm had begun to wane, just as it did when he quit Ferrari and the sport the first time at the end of 2006.

"I have been thinking for quite a while [about this]," he said. "We had a three year agreement, hard to keep motivation and energy - it's natural you think about this more than when you are young.

"I have had my doubts for quite a while whether I had energy to [carry on]. I said in 2006 my battery was empty and now I am in the red zone. I don't know if there is time to recharge them - but I am looking forward to my freedom.

"I have no hard feelings. In a different way we achieved a great deal...

"Now I will do exactly as I did the first time - to finish and focus 100 percent on what I do."

Speculation had linked Schumacher to a move to Sauber, where he began his world championship-level career with the Mercedes-backed Swiss-team's endurance prototype squad in 1990, but that proved wide of the mark.

Schumacher to retire at the end of 2012 | News | Autocar India
To the God of racing, Wishing you the Very best in the last 6 races.

Lets have the vintage Schumacher in these races

Thread Starter #17
While browsing found this interesting fact about Schumi

Michael Schumacher has driven around the Earth twice in an F1 car

In Texas, during what will go down as one of the absolute best inaugural Grand Prix weekends in series history, there was yet another Formula One record set by his lordship, the soon to retire Michael Schumacher of the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 squad. And, no, it wasn't his finishing in 16th place and lapped by the leaders that got the attention. Nor was it his recent purchase of a 500-acre horse ranch in Texas.

While watching the broadcast television coverage, the chief commentator announced that, upon the completion of Lap 10 of the 3.4-mile Circuit of the Americas, Schumacher became the most traveled Formula One pilot in history. That lap saw him clock 80,000 kilometers – or 49,710 miles – in competition in an F1 car over 19 seasons. By the time he finishes the 2012 F1 season finale on November 25th in Brazil, that'll be over two-times the 24,901-mile circumference of planet Earth driven in a Formula One car.

This feat outdistanced the record set by his former Ferrari teammate Rubens Barrichello, though it is not known if Barrichello came to the Mercedes trailer after the race to congratulate the seven-time F1 champ. Rubens was, after all, a guest of honor over at the Ferrari compound.

Michael Schumacher has driven around the Earth twice in an F1 car

Schumi is great but his comeback was not appreciated by many the only reason i feel his morale might be down

But one thing is 100% correct for sure a one time great can never be the greatest ever, there is one more example for it none other than sachin

Age takes a toss be it any sport

But with all due to respect adieu to the legend...... [clap]

Schumi is great but his comeback was not appreciated by many the only reason i feel his morale might be down

But one thing is 100% correct for sure a one time great can never be the greatest ever, there is one more example for it none other than sachin

Age takes a toss be it any sport

But with all due to respect adieu to the legend...... [clap]
Not sure if Sachin and Schumi can be compared as they are in 2 different sports. But if his return was to be evaluated, he came in a car which was the Champion (erstwile Brawn) but at that point of time was no match for the Red Bull. Ferrari and Mclaren. Even Force India, Williams and at times Torro Rosso challenged them.

The plus points of his return
- In the 3 years he would have made up the maximum positions from the Grid position to the final classification position
- Could not outqualify Nico in the first 2 years but did that in the last year
- Built up a position from where the team can go miles in subsequent years.

The negatives
- Made some silly mistakes which the Michael of 2006 would not have done
- Could not consistently outqualify Nico in the first 2 years

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
Bernie Ecclestone Says ‘Schumacher Should Not Have Returned’

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone gives his own thoughts on the matter.
I would rather he had stopped as a seven-time world champion than stopping now. People new to the sport - people who have joined the F1 fan fraternity just recently - will remember Michael now, not as he was. They don't see the hero that he was but the human that can fail. I think the important thing is - and this is probably difficult - to know when you can't do what you used to do anymore and then hand it over to somebody else.”
He concluded the idea, saying
"I hope that's what I can do: when I feel I can't deliver, I will certainly say goodbye."
Ecclestone did admit to the fact that the world of F1 is not necessarily a better place sans-Schumacher, as he was a well-known figure which brought additional attention (and money) into the sport
"We will miss Michael, because even though he wasn't winning races in those three years, he is still very popular,"
Bernie Ecclestone Says

Last 3 years i was very much waiting to see Michael Schumacher win a race and prove all the critics wrong..But unfortunately, the machinery was not designed in perfection to win Races.
Eventhough this season start proved that Mercedes are the favourites, his race retirements in first half of season hurts a lot. Unlucky in Monaco was worse.

Watching F1 without Michael Schumacher is ......... I am a big fan of MSC.
I thought that Michael will show his fantastic skills in the racing where Young guns like Vettel,Hamilton,Rosberg will fumble against him. If Mercedes gave him a quick car, he might done it.

Last edited:
Shumis petronas was a good car but not for him. Alonsos F2012 was a complete screw up,despite that he performed so well.

Shumis petronas was a good car but not for him. Alonsos F2012 was a complete screw up,despite that he performed so well.
I partially agree with you not fully. The Petronas AMG was a good car only for the first few races till Monte Carlo. Post that it fizzled out, more importantly it lost out to the development of Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull.

The Merc just about was brought down to the level of mid field players.

Also please remember even in the early stages of the year, tyre degradation was a huge problem for Ross Brawn and Company.

Ferrari on the other hand upped the ante and definitely had the measure of the field by the mid season only to be upstaged by Red Bull towards the end,

Where Nando scored was he is a very good percentage driver and once he had the max championship points with him, he played safe to keep within sniffing distance of Vettel.

Also please realise that Massa played a perfect foil once he found his lost touch back

Last edited:

Hey guys, yesterday was Schumi's birthday. He is 44 years old now.
Happy Birthday Michael!!! [:)]

I have bought myself Schumi's 2002 Ferrari scale model as his memory. Will share pics soon.

Top Bottom