Travelogue Turned Into Nightmare: Skoda Horror Story

Re: A travelogue turned out into a nightmare

ram sir,
Payangadi and Pazhayangadi are same?

What is there in Anandashram?

SR is working at Pariyaram Medical College. Congrats.

Damaged Timing Belt costed you more than one lakh rupees.!!
Any guarantee on newly replaced parts? Any cost adjusted by Skoda due to warranty of the parts used? Impact of damaged timing belt is severe. This is the reason manufacturers suggests to replace on certain kms. Timing belt change for every 100,000kms for Mitsubishi vehicles.

Again, SR is a friend indeed.

Kudos to your composure Ram. Good to know that even after Octy's breakdown, you maintained your composure and continued to explore the nearby places. Kudos.

Thread Starter #33

Ram Sir

What to say[confused] One side the Octy's broken story and the other side is the beautiful resort, fort and beach pics a mixed trip it seems. Pics have come quite nice and SR really made your day with all the assistance and sight seeing other wise you would have felt bad all the time thinking about the car
Thank you for the words RK. Yes, SR helped me lot.

ram sir,
Payangadi and Pazhayangadi are same?

What is there in Anandashram?

SR is working at Pariyaram Medical College. Congrats.

Damaged Timing Belt costed you more than one lakh rupees.!!
Any guarantee on newly replaced parts? Any cost adjusted by Skoda due to warranty of the parts used? Impact of damaged timing belt is severe. This is the reason manufacturers suggests to replace on certain kms. Timing belt change for every 100,000kms for Mitsubishi vehicles.

Again, SR is a friend indeed.
Payyangadi and Pazhayangadi are same.

Anandashram is like a meditation centre.

Its not the belt alone, I had to replace engine head, piston/connecting rod, gasket kit, timing belt kit, oil/filter, coolant and labor etc. And one week stay costed me around Rs 20000/-. Skoda asked me to bring the vehicle there to Thrissur, and would try to reimburse the cost, but not assured, not only that, its a very long process. However they helped me a lot by sending all the spares beyond their limits.

Kudos to your composure Ram. Good to know that even after Octy's breakdown, you maintained your composure and continued to explore the nearby places. Kudos.
Its always better to take everything as a challenge.

Ram Sir, hope to see you on 24th at Bangalore.

Skoda played a perfect spoilsport to your holiday. If you have an ownership review of your car, can you kindly share the expenses (major/minor) which you spent on your car since you bought it.

Thread Starter #35

Ram Sir, hope to see you on 24th at Bangalore.

Skoda played a perfect spoilsport to your holiday. If you have an ownership review of your car, can you kindly share the expenses (major/minor) which you spent on your car since you bought it.
Hope to see you all on 24th.

About Skoda this is the first incident happened after running 108000 kms. The car gives 21 plus FE, 5 kms more comparing to my old lancer. I do the routine maintenance on time. At 70000 kms I replaced struts and suspension bushes. 75000 kms I replaced disc rotors. 82000 kms replaced AC compressor and evaporator. Around 90000 kms replaced Ac contensor due to dog hit. Basically the parts engineered and built very strong and the reliability is more. I replaced all door latches at 105000 kms.

This is an unfortunate incident happened due to the manufacturing defect. Out of lakhs of pieces one may be like this that is no one's fault. It may happen to any vehicle any make, even to an aircraft, and we should be prepared for it.

Thank you anshuman

I wish, this thread isn't true! It's extremely unfortunate.

BTW, how is the car now and what's the overall cost of repairs and spares? And how's Skoda going to reimburse it?

It is really sad to hear about your Octy. For me the most exciting thread here is form your experience with Octy on the 6000+km on the GQ...

Looking forward for more miles from you and your Octy!

Thread Starter #38

I wish, this thread isn't true! It's extremely unfortunate.

BTW, how is the car now and what's the overall cost of repairs and spares? And how's Skoda going to reimburse it?
Thank you for your concern, yes it is very unfortunate. The car is perfect now, feel better than before as the turbo is cleaned and serviced. Skoda is not going to reimburse anything as I have not done the service there. The total cost came up to Rs106000/-.

It is really sad to hear about your Octy. For me the most exciting thread here is form your experience with Octy on the 6000+km on the GQ...

Looking forward for more miles from you and your Octy!
Thank you mastiandroid5 for your words

Last edited:
Thread Starter #39

Pictures of the damaged parts

Attachments

Last edited:
The basic reason is faulty timing belt.
A sequence of damages happened due to faulty timing belt. I have a feeling that, you should not have run the car after you noticed something went wrong. You drove the car with the problems, that have made more damages. So damages would have minimized if taken to Skoda service center earlier. Skoda service experts could have guided you in this aspect.

Again, the previously installed timing belt might have been QC verified. Any similar problems reported elsewhere? Need to check with Skoda for similar incidents, on over 1Lakhs km used vehicle.

Toyota ASS offers 3/6months warranty on Jobs. Is there any warranty on Skoda jobs? The timing belt must be changed every 80,000km or 4 years whichever is early. Is it like that or only km counts?

You cant run the engine once timing belt breaks.
One of the reason for this failure could be that timing belt was not installed properly in the first place. With wrong timing, engine could have been running but towards a disaster to happen.
Anyways damage has been done. Any car wont survive in such condition.

Thread Starter #42
A sequence of damages happened due to faulty timing belt. I have a feeling that, you should not have run the car after you noticed something went wrong. You drove the car with the problems, that have made more damages. So damages would have minimized if taken to Skoda service center earlier. Skoda service experts could have guided you in this aspect.

Again, the previously installed timing belt might have been QC verified. Any similar problems reported elsewhere? Need to check with Skoda for similar incidents, on over 1Lakhs km used vehicle.

Toyota ASS offers 3/6months warranty on Jobs. Is there any warranty on Skoda jobs? The timing belt must be changed every 80,000km or 4 years whichever is early. Is it like that or only km counts?
It is still a mystery whether the tensionor broke first or the belt. Skoda asks to replace the T. belt kit every 60000 kms. In my case first replacement I did it at 50000 kms and the second at 98000 kms. So, I never anticipated that it would break that too a genuine spare changed by SASC. If the problem was due to faulty fixing it would not have run 9000 kms. Skoda gives six months guarantee for the service and parts, but in my case it was done in last March 2013. It seems, this is the first incident reported that the T belt broke within the life period.
Anyway, next week I am taking the car to Skoda ASC Kerala for a complete check up.

Thank you Mathew

You cant run the engine once timing belt breaks.
One of the reason for this failure could be that timing belt was not installed properly in the first place. With wrong timing, engine could have been running but towards a disaster to happen.
Anyways damage has been done. Any car wont survive in such condition.
Thank you nozzlering

I know if the T. belt breaks it will end up in a disaster. But I never expected and anticipated that it would break so soon. Anyway, I still try to console myself by thinking only one piston and C rod is damaged in the down half of the engine and Crank shaft is intact. Moreover these are all the lessons we learn by practical experience. I think this incident is an alert to all.

First, it is a very unfortunate thing to happen, whether its a Holiday or a Daily home-work drive. And Sir, you have handled it exceptionally well. Even i own an Octavia. Impressed by its Speed , Built and Dynamics , that aside, reliability is even more important for a car. And while doing my Market research i found the Car to be very reliable but the Indian Service Network being very unreliable.

And in this particular case, i see it more of a "error while fitting" rather than a manufacturing defect. Even in the case of Manufacturing defect , it is the negligence(quality control ?) by Skoda India which has ended up with your car being stranded. Skoda should stop taking Indian Customers for granted or they will end up with no sales !

Jeno

mathew, ramji was in constant touch with skoda service personnel from the time the light in the dash came on. but the fellow had given the green light to keep on running. even i had cautioned ramji but he was reassured by the skoda service personnel. and ramji was confident that the timing aseembly had been changed just 8oookms back so he never anticipated any issue with it.
the other thing is that the skoda ass is about 150 kms away from where the light came on. how to take the car there ?

Top Bottom