Toyota Yaris CVT J: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #31
Hi
The brakes are absolutely fine. Disc upfront and drums at the back is the setup in most of the cars below 10L available in India... The setup serves its purpose well if you drive within the speed limits.. no problem at all..
On the NVH.. the car is definitely better built than the Honda City.. I find the doors to be heavier, the fit and finish to be better.. There is not much difference in the NVH though.. one reason could be the Auto CVT which is inherently noisier than a MT.. (my Honda City was a MT)... you hear the engine noise especially when you press the accelerator hard.. the road noise also creeps in beyond 80km/hr.. Nothing alarming though.. and you get used it to in no time.. plus damping of the doors and a good sound system does help a lot..

Regarding driveability, steering feedback, pickup ... etc... It's better you take a back to back test drive.. Honda City and Yaris have different characteristics.. choose the one that suits your driving style..
I am sure none will disappoint you, if and when the enthusiast sleeping within you awakes! (though in this maddening traffic, I wonder if you'll ever get a chance!)
Honda City scores the most in space management.. If you are looking for Space, you can't overlook Honda City..
But if you want an easy to drive, city commuter.. with an automatic less than 10L .. that can seat 4 adults comfortably... than Yaris presents a strong case..

Cheers!
Redev

Hi Redev,

Thanks for your response. I have shortlisted Yaris V variant. But the main concern I am still having is the ground clearance. Toyota did not mention the ground clearance number in their brochure and there are different numbers floating on the internet. As you have driven Honda city and Yaris both, how do you compare the ground clearance of these two cars? and also, in general, how do you see the ground clearance of Yaris?

I did test drive for both the cars, but as the road, load etc different in test drive, I really could not compare.

Thanks
Sourabh

Thread Starter #33
Hi Redev,

Thanks for your response. I have shortlisted Yaris V variant. But the main concern I am still having is the ground clearance. Toyota did not mention the ground clearance number in their brochure and there are different numbers floating on the internet. As you have driven Honda city and Yaris both, how do you compare the ground clearance of these two cars? and also, in general, how do you see the ground clearance of Yaris?

I did test drive for both the cars, but as the road, load etc different in test drive, I really could not compare.

Thanks
Sourabh
Hi Sourabh

The ground clearance of Yaris is at par with Honda City, if not slightly more when fully laden. I've not really found any major issues, infact have not scrapped any of the speed breakers yet. May be slightly shorter wheelbase helps in some way.
My parking has a ramp, and the car doesn't really scrap that has well.

The only issue could be the approach angle, as the Yaris has some flaps at the bottom of the front bumper, my guess is to assist in aerodynamics... and these flaps might brush with high speed breakers or ramps if you are not cautious about the approach angle. Not a major issue at all. Have really started enjoying the smallish turning radius of the car, makes life easy in the City.

Also, got hold of an OEM dashkit for Yaris.. and was able to upgrade the dashboard player to Blaupunkt Osaka 760 (Link) .
It supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto.. and kind of completes the car.

On FE front, getting an Avg. FE of 11 KMPL in 100% city driving with AC ON all the time..

Cheers!

Hi All,
Finally, I have got V CVT and till now completed 1200KM. I did a long drive to Yercaud hill station in Tamilnadu. It was around 250KM from Bangalore. My experience with the car is simply awesome.
Here are a few things which make the driving experience completely different and take it to next level:
1. Super smooth CVT
2. Extremely low NVH level due to acoustic and vibration control glass and also for the refined engine. I drove at 110 KMPH and engine RPM was only less than 2000. That also reduces engine noise and vibration inside the cabin.
3. Lower cabin temperature due IR cut the windshield. You can feel the difference when you park the car under sun.
4. Best in class ride quality and mature suspension. Rear disk brake makes braking super smooth.
5. Uphill is very easy because of CVT, it does not let the car go back while starting.

Overall this car is segment best when it comes to comfort and reducing the stress in driving. And definately one of the safest car in this segment.

One area where I really feel it needs improvement is the infotainment system. No Android Auto, no Apple car play. And overall userfriendlyness is also not thought of. Everytime I switch off the engine and switch it on, infotainmanet system shows safety caution popup and I need to manually touch "OK" button to get the music back. This is very irritating feature while I need to stop the engine frequently in signal. I am already following up with Toyota for a fix. Let me know if others are also finding this issue and able to fix it somehow.

Thanks
Sourabh

Thread Starter #36
Guys!!! There is also a Toyota Yaris India Owners Whatsapp Group. Please add your details here if anyone is interested to join.

Thanks
Sourabh
Congrats Sourabh on the new car.
Wishing you safe and long trouble free experience with the vehicle. [drive]
The Yaris indeed is an understated car, and the more you drive it, the more you appreciate it.
Not sure if you are willing to replace the OEM HU, I installed Blaupunkt Osaka which is both Apple Carplay and Android auto enabled.

Thanks for sharing the WhatsApp group, will surely join the same.

Cheers!
redev

I have booked Yaris J MT yesterday. There was a huge price hike on J-MT variant ,hiked by 55K on Ex showroom which resulted near to 80K increment in on road price. Other than J variant MT, they hiked J CVT by 5,000/- and all other variant prices remain same.
IMO, J-MT variant lost its VFM tag.
I have ordered Rear parking sensor, Camera(With separate screen) -not an official accessory and under body coating. Car is available at yard and it is Aug 2018 manufactured. Will do proper PDI once I get time and if satisfied, I will make it a deal.

Redev, I have noticed seat covers on your car. Are they airbag compatible? As per my SA, Toyota will release a new official airbag compatible car seat covers soon which will feature an open cut on airbag side.

Thread Starter #38
I have booked Yaris J MT yesterday. There was a huge price hike on J-MT variant ,hiked by 55K on Ex showroom which resulted near to 80K increment in on road price. Other than J variant MT, they hiked J CVT by 5,000/- and all other variant prices remain same.
I have ordered Rear parking sensor, Camera(With separate screen) -not an official accessory and under body coating. Car is available at yard and it is Aug 2018 manufactured. Will do proper PDI once I get time and if satisfied, I will make it a deal.

Redev, I have noticed seat covers on your car. Are they airbag compatible? As per my SA, Toyota will release a new official airbag compatible car seat covers soon which will feature an open cut on airbag side.
Hi

Congrats on the booking.
Autoform India makes customised covers for Yaris, I was told that they don't interfere with the Airbags.
On the Rear Camera, would suggest to find a dashkit so that you can replace the OEM HU with a touchscreen unit.. You'll not need a separate screen for the reverse camera as well.

Good Luck!
Redev

Hi congratulations on booking India’s safest car.I own Yaris V cvt.My Toyota SA also is saying that Toyota will soon launch official seat covers specifically for seats with airbags.Waiting for those as I don’t want to lose warranty.

Thank you, Remdev and Vinumarul. I am a bit confused between J(90%) and G(10%) variant. On seat covers, I will wait for Toyota Genuine accessories.
I have checked Blaupunkt Mote Carlo and seems to be a good add on. Also I can see the price in 16K range. I am checking with my SA if they can fit this from their workshop(I will buy it from local dealer) instead of separate LCD display.

Thread Starter #41
Thank you, Remdev and Vinumarul. I am a bit confused between J(90%) and G(10%) variant. On seat covers, I will wait for Toyota Genuine accessories.
I have checked Blaupunkt Mote Carlo and seems to be a good add on. Also I can see the price in 16K range. I am checking with my SA if they can fit this from their workshop(I will buy it from local dealer) instead of separate LCD display.
I believe the J (CVT) is the most value for money model.
The money saved can be spent for buying a much better sound experience..

You'll need to buy a Dashkit to fit the HeadUnit, I believe the dealer should have that available.

The Osaka model is Toyota specific and fits the dashboard as good as the OEM.. so do check that one..

Cheers!

Last edited:
The Osaka model is Toyota specific and fits the dashboard as good as the OEM.. so do check that one..

Cheers!
Thanks Redev. Yes, I have checked the specs and found it a good fit for J variant. But as of now, I kept it as a future add on. I will be going for Extended Warranty and later, may be after after 1 st service I will check official accessories as I was told that Toyota may introduce new accessories for Yaris based on customer feedback.

Also checking options to add speed sensing door auto locks(I don't know why Toyota omitted such an important security feature on J variant). I have seen some OBD type devices at AliExpress. Not sure how good they are.

Hello All.. Nice to see a Toyota Yaris ownership thread here.. I am also having Yaris G CVT. I am waiting for the Toyota authorized seat covers and got pics from the dealer. Just check it out.
Rahul Panwar
Hi I saw these photos of Yaris seat covers on the Yaris owners Whatsapp group.our Toyota dealer is yet to get these seat covers.
Look like a good option especially for seats with airbags

Hi I saw these photos of Yaris seat covers on the Yaris owners Whatsapp group.our Toyota dealer is yet to get these seat covers.
Look like a good option especially for seats with airbags
Hi..
The dealer told me that it will take around 10 days to get these once booked. However price is not confirmed yet.
Pls add me to the whatsapp group. Thanks.

Top Bottom