Toyota Yaris CVT J: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #16
Thanks , understood. But my question is was the HU removed and the Converter plugged in behind the same? Can we buy the same in India also ?
Yes Buddy, you'll get it easily from any decent audio installer.
No need to remove the HU, there are connectors available that do the job.
I would suggest you visit any decent audio installer.

One thing to note though is that the factory fitted HU doesn't have much power, so you'll definitely need an amplifier for the components, if you plan to upgrade the speakers.

Looking to buy a rear view camera.. found this interesting.. Yi Mirror Camera, has anyone used this or something similar ?
Am a bit apprehensive that the weight of the display might make my rear view mirror useless over a period of time. [thinking]

Cheers!

Yes Buddy, you'll get it easily from any decent audio installer.
No need to remove the HU, there are connectors available that do the job.
I would suggest you visit any decent audio installer.

One thing to note though is that the factory fitted HU doesn't have much power, so you'll definitely need an amplifier for the components, if you plan to upgrade the speakers.

Looking to buy a rear view camera.. found this interesting.. Yi Mirror Camera, has anyone used this or something similar ?
Am a bit apprehensive that the weight of the display might make my rear view mirror useless over a period of time. [thinking]

Cheers!
Thanks, usually these are mounted on the original IRVM , weight should be ok.

I dont need components as my car Tigor has Harman Kardon ICE + Speakers. Only looking for Connector, Amplifier and Sub.
Can you please post pictures how the Connector is fitted to the HU and Amp ?

Thread Starter #18
Hi All

Got the 1st 1000 Km service done today.
It was a quick service, wherein they asked if I faced any problem, did general checkup, a quick car wash and air filter cleaning etc.
Took around 1.5Hr. with no charges.

Was asked to opt for extended warranty, costs around 14K for 4th and 5th year, or 1.4lakhs Km. Haven't really opted for it.. the cost of the same increases to 18K if I buy post 60 days of car purchase.

Rest everything's fine.. a good point A to B car.. no fuss, easy to maneuver and is giving a FE of around 10.5 kmpl.

So far so good!

Cheers!

Thread Starter #19
Hi All

Got couple of accessories installed.

Seat Covers from Autoform, Dent to Pocket INR 10800/- and a a mirror reverse camera + dashcam from Yi.. INR 6800, source from Ali Express.. Link Here

The camera performance is decent, but the mirror screen brightness is quite low.. you can hardly see anything, in the daylight due to the reflection.. looks Ok when its dark.. The dashcam feature is good.. it records both front and rear camera videos on a SD card..

Below are some pics of the interiors ..

Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase. I am planning to test drive the J CVT this weekend as I am planning on my car upgrade. However have few queries and I am glad the forum has an initial ownership review for Yaris J CVT

Your input on few of my queries will greatly help my selection (presently i have dilemma between Nexon XZA P and Yaris J CVT)

1) How is the engine refinement of Yaris during quick accelerations. Does it sound coarse and harsh with whining or is it reasonable well controlled and smooth?

2) The j CVT does not have the acoustic and vibration free glass. Would that impact the cabin noise ? In terms of higher road noise and wind noise

3) Are the rear seats comfortable for 2 , especially with the headroom?
4) Is it possible to upgrade to a better music system without compromising the guaranty ? Can you suggest the music system you have upgraded and the cost (ICE and Speakers)?
5) How is the steering feedback of the car , is it pointy and chuckable ?How is the ease at lane changing during speeds

5)

Thread Starter #21
Hi

Will try to answer your queries:-

1) The transmission is a CVT, it is super smooth if driven sedately, will reward you with excellent fuel economy and keep both the driver and occupants happy. But if pressed hard, it takes its time to build up speeds, doesn't sound coarse but the engine does sound stretched.
The car can certainly reach 3 digit speeds pretty quickly, and it remains rock stable.
If you want to be the first one to dash out from one red light just to be the first person at the next one, then Yaris may not help you.. But if you want a smooth and calm drive without worrying about the potholes .. then Yaris will shine.

2) My usage of the car is almost 100% within the city and the highways passing through the city.. Within City speeds, the Tyre/Road noise is acceptable... I am sure the acoustic and vibration glass would definitely help in reducing the road and outside noise, but the huge jump in the price from J to G variant didn't justify it to me..

3) The rear headroom is a challenge if the occupants are 6 feet+ .. else the seats are quite comfortable for 2 adults and the legroom is sufficient..

4)Yes, you can certainly upgrade the Speakers and add Components + Amp + Woofer, without compromising on the warranty.. though I am told that there are Dash Kits now available for the Yaris, which allow you to replace the Head-Unit to a Touch Screen one as well, but I wouldn't really risk on that .. A decent pair of components can start from 5K.. A 4 channel Amp from 10K.. and a Subwoofer again can be another 10K.. So a very high level starting range of an upgrade is 25K to 30K .. The sky is the limit here..

5) The steering feedback is not razor sharp, but I am sure it'll not disappoint you in case of a sudden lane change in an emergency..

Hope my 2 cents can help you make up your mind!
Take a test drive with an Open mind.. Note down your priorities and rate the car on them..

Good Luck!

Wow. Congratulations on your purchase, and thanks for the first review. I too went to nearby Toyota showroom as I'm in the market for a petrol automatic sedan. My wife fell in love with the looks of the Yaris immeditely, but on the test drive, I found the car impossible to drive as the brake pedal is overly sensitive, just a movement of an inch and then the brakes grab so hard that all 3 of us kept getting thrown forward. I tried to just keep my toe on the brake pedal, which made things better but after just 2 km in the city, and 4-5 throw forwards, I turned back as I didnt want a rear hit because my car stopped suddenly. I have been driving for 25 years, and have had only 2 minor accidents so consider myself a safe driver (but then who does'nt?)

The test vehicle was a VX CVT. The SA said the bakes are normal and pointed to the brake assist feature. So this ruled out Yaris for us. Now considering City, Elantra and Verna (Corolla is out of budget) - none of whih I particularly like, though there is little to dislike about the City. I did want to go with a Toyota as Hyundai ASSs have been overcharging and not repairing properly for several years.

Qn 1 - Has this been your experience too or should I go to a diferent dealer and try another vehicle?

Qn 2 - How does the car do on the highway, if you have taken it there? I read reviews saying the CVT rubber band effect gets bad at about 100 and things get so noisy that you dont want to accelerate the car further. I want a car that has smooth powere delivery and doesnt run out of steam till 130-140, not because I want to drag race, but it comes in handy when you are trying to overtake at 100.

Thanks for your advice...

Thread Starter #23
Hi
I am not facing any issues with the breaks.. infact the car is primarily driven by my wife and even she has not pointed any issues with the breaks..
The Vx though comes with all Disc breaks, as ours is the J variant, it comes with drums at the back.. not sure if that makes such a big difference.. Take a test drive of the variant that you plan to buy..
Haven't really taken the car on a full blown highway run.. but I believe being a 1500cc, 105+bhp car, it should be able to run consistently at speeds on the other side of 3 digits..
The Yaris is a very capable car, the automatic is a boon in the city and the CVT makes it effortless..
If you are looking for a city commuter with an occasional highway run, Yaris shouldn't disappoint you..

Cheers!

Hi
Will try to answer your queries:-
Thanks Bro for your inputs. I have test driven Yaris for a good 30 mins, it is a solid car however the hand rest and the frequent cabin whine on acceleration inputs based on my driving behavior has moved it away from shortlist. The front seats are superb and the ride quality is like it is a segment higher,simply fantastic. There have been many reviews which said the steering is lifeless, however it is not only good to hold but reasonably sharp and much better than Hyundai Vernas steering

it is a solid car however the hand rest and the frequent cabin whine on acceleration inputs has moved it away from shortlist. The front seats are superb and the ride quality is a segment higher,simply fantastic. steering is not only good to hold but reasonably sharp and much better than Hyundai Vernas
I agree. Despite the looks and gadgets, Vernas floaty ride and lack of steering feedback just dont work for me. Went to another Toyota dealership, test drove the same VX CVT variant, and this ones brakes worked very well. However that console jutting out, and low headroom in the rear made me reconsider Honda City.

Any solutions likely for this? How is your Toyota treating you?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #28
Hi Guys

Good to read your comments.

I didn't really test drive the Verna so no real comments.. but have owned two Hyundais in the past, Santro and then Getz... and can say the Hyundai cars are excellent in terms of fit and finish but the service and the parts are expensive.. and the Fuel Economy too is on the lower side as compared to their Japanese cousins..
Have owned a Honda City for 13yrs and driven for close to 1.75 lakh Kms.. A No Fuss car, easy to maintain, though the fit and finish is just acceptable.. But off-late I find the prices to be on the higher side.. couldn't find a City automatic below the INR 10L mark..

Yaris on the other hand ticked the checklist.. easy to drive in city, automatic, easy to maintain (hopefully !), below 10L (at least Ex-Showroom price) automatic and Secure.. so went ahead with it..
Getting a FE of 11KMPL with 100% city driving and AC On 100% time.. No complaints ..

BTW, took the car to office and had a late evening (almost midnight) run on the Gurgaon - Delhi 'Expressway'... Those who say the car is slow.. might be pressing the wrong pedal!

Regarding the Hand Rest.. it is surely Useless to say the least..

If you are looking for a City commuter with an occasional highway run with 4 occupants..
The car should accept whatever you throw at it..

Cheers!

Wow. Congratulations on your purchase, and thanks for the first review. I too went to nearby Toyota showroom as I'm in the market for a petrol automatic sedan. My wife fell in love with the looks of the Yaris immeditely, but on the test drive, I found the car impossible to drive as the brake pedal is overly sensitive, just a movement of an inch and then the brakes grab so hard that all 3 of us kept getting thrown forward. I tried to just keep my toe on the brake pedal, which made things better but after just 2 km in the city, and 4-5 throw forwards, I turned back as I didnt want a rear hit because my car stopped suddenly. I have been driving for 25 years, and have had only 2 minor accidents so consider myself a safe driver (but then who does'nt?)

The test vehicle was a VX CVT. The SA said the bakes are normal and pointed to the brake assist feature. So this ruled out Yaris for us. Now considering City, Elantra and Verna (Corolla is out of budget) - none of whih I particularly like, though there is little to dislike about the City. I did want to go with a Toyota as Hyundai ASSs have been overcharging and not repairing properly for several years.

Qn 1 - Has this been your experience too or should I go to a diferent dealer and try another vehicle?

Qn 2 - How does the car do on the highway, if you have taken it there? I read reviews saying the CVT rubber band effect gets bad at about 100 and things get so noisy that you dont want to accelerate the car further. I want a car that has smooth powere delivery and doesnt run out of steam till 130-140, not because I want to drag race, but it comes in handy when you are trying to overtake at 100.

Thanks for your advice...

Well, I too test drove Yaris CVT, but not the J, but the one with all 4 disc brakes, unsure if it was top or one below top variant.

I drove across Koyambedu, the flyover intersection at Bangalore Road, and also tested the brakes, though not that hard, but I never felt any challenge as you have mentioned, that is, brakes being over sensitive. Al 4 disc brakes were really good as per my assessment, and nothing was over-sensitive as you've pointed. Brakes do their job well.

Request them to give you a different CVT (with all disc brakes variant) for a test drive and see. May be your issue might have been car specific...

But Yaaris is a good car to drive in city limits. However, the only turn down was that I felt the steering small for that size of a sedan, and also I somehow didn't feel I am riding a C segmenter, I felt the car small for me, when comparing viz a viz with Honda City. No offence to current Yaris owners, but I think that kind of dynamics should be for compact ness of the car.

Regards
Kumar

Congratulation for owning the Yaris!!!
I have taken multiple test drive of Yaris V and VX CVT version. As per me, J CVT is the real value for money and well loaded. But unfortunately, none of the local dealers in Bangalore has J CVT for a test drive. Being an owner of Honda city and as well as Yaris, can you please help me understand the following parameters of Yaris J CVT?

1. How do you compare the breaking of Yaris J (fr Disk and rr drum) compare to Honda city? In terms of sharpness and gradual breaking.
2. How do you compare the NVH level of Yaris J compare to honda city? I guess both do not have acoustic and vibration control glass.
In general question:
1. How do you compare the steering feedback of Honda city vs Yaris?

Thanks
Sourabh

Top Bottom