Toyota Fortuner Bookings Re-open Yet Again (Jan 2011)

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Here’s a special update - Now finally the admirers of Toyota Fortuner can book their favorite SUV from tomorrow. Yes, Toyota Kirloskar has officially announced that the bookings of Fortuner are going to re-open from 1st July 2010.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Attachments

Thats a good news for fortuner lovers. BTW has Toyota increased the production to reduce the waiting periods.

They had to do this. There was no other way to stop customers from straying away to other brands. I myself have seen an upshot in the numbers of Mitsubishi Outlanders nowadays (and it is true-the sales of the Mitsu Outlander HAVE picked up with the introduction of the new 2010 Outlander variant.) However, the big question is just how much time will Toyota take to deliver all these cars? I mean they already have a humongous backlog and with more customers pouring in, will Toyota be able to deal with such heavy demand?

A fortuner for 15L is a dream come true! else this fortuner with 6 airbags, TC, ESP, BA, ESP, Hill descent control, GPS, Cruise control, TPMS, etc for the same price!

AMG

Suspended
Still, it has to be the outlander for me, no matter what the Japs come up with.
Fortuner still seems a century old to me, especially the way it handles.

yes, it is dated, its obvious. thats why i say i should be priced 15L since its a "toyota" !!!

btw, can anyone guess how much profit is toyota reeking with the fortuner now?

Innova: 12L
Production cost of Innova: 8-9L
So, Production cost of fortuner = PC of innova + stilts (since fortuner is innova on stilts) + some more sheet metal + 4WD tranny + (difference of innova's engine & fortuner's engine)

thats is equal to = 8 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 12L = PC of fortuner

Tax + Logistics + other costs involved = 3L

So total selling price of fortuner = 15-16L

Profit for toyota at the moment = A cooooool 5-6L per fortuner !!!

Last edited:
But fortuner to me looks good for 15lacs. The only thing which isnt acceptable is the waiting period.
-----------Next Post-----------
But fortuner to me looks good for 15lacs. The only thing which isnt acceptable is the waiting period.
raj you made me regret on my above post. After reading your post from no aspect Fortuner sounds VFM to me.

Last edited:
Toyota Fortuner@ Rs.15-16 lakh?!!! Has Toyota reduced prices of the Fortuner or am I missing something here? [shock] As far as I know, the Fortuner costs nearly Rs.20-21 lakh on-road here in Mumbai. Am I lost or something?

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team
Yes, Toyota Fortuner costs Rs.21.07 Lakhs On-Road, Delhi and for Mumbai it’s even higher. Anyways, if we consider the calculations done by Raj, In My Opinion, Profit of Rs.5 Lakhs on Rs.20 Lakh car is quite acceptable. After all, from the manufacturer’s perspective, they do need to earn a profit at least to some margin and that is why they are into the business!

Drive Safe,
350Z

I got an info from sales representative here in chennai that engines alone are coming from TMC for fortuner. That's the reason he said for the delay.

TMC planned for 500 engines per month long time back. During the initial launch, the booking reached over 2500 in 3 days. Toyota closed the bookings. May be they might have done some meeasure to increase the production this time.

Anybody have any idea about the production line of fortuner? I dont think sales rep is right. If so, how much cost is involoved in shipping the engines from TMC(japan) to plant here in india. [confused]

@ amaan: i know a fortuner costs 20L, my calculations show its WORTH 15L!

@ Vibhor: 5L of profit on a 20L vehicle is not acceptable friend!

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team
So how much do you expect? If manufacturers will not earn from margin in big cars, how will they benefit? :wink: Though it’s a different matter that practically small cars earn more profit.

Drive Safe,
350Z

So how much do you expect? If manufacturers will not earn from margin in big cars, how will they benefit? :wink: Though it’s a different matter that practically small cars earn more profit.

Drive Safe,
350Z
I completely agree. IMO its better that they put greater margins for profit from their premium models rather than small cars.
And at the end of the day everybody is in business for profits.

exactly. for example, a maruti dealer earns around 3-4k on selling an alto. thats just 1-2% on the total cost of the car. so maruti maybe getting around 5% profit with the alto.

so, even if we assume that fortuner is a premium car & toyota can make more profit, we can assume a profit of max around 8-10%, thats it! thats close to 1.5-2L. this is the max they should "ideally" benefit.

so, instead of 2L, they are getting 5L. why? indians have no other options!

Let me give you one example- A toyota fortuner costs 22L in mumbai whereas it costs 10L in dubai. Dubai does not have vehicles taxes. anyways, these taxes are paid by the car owner & not the manufacturer. So the fortuner is manufactured at less than 10L!!! that is for sure. so now, this means that the PC of fortuner is not even 12L as mentioned above, it is even lesser!

Top Bottom