Toyota Fortuner Review & Pictures: Transforming Fortunes

Great write UP @TSIVipul
Now regarding small mistakes I found,
The Endeavor has a ZF 6 Speed AT, its a torque converter box as well and not a Dual clutch like in Fiesta or Figo or Ecosport which are Getrag made dry clutch DCTs

Also regarding accelaration comparison, I dont think comparing it with a GT TDi or Figo TDCi is nice option as many wont try such things and a proper 0-100 timings would be great. Looking forward to that as well.

Also the new Fortumer uses brake based torque vectoring differential and not a proper Limited Slip diff, thats good in a lot of ways because it makes the vehicle lighter and yet dosent compromise much off road, but the real party trick is short wheelbase with high ground clearence, this allows good articulation and better angles for approach and departure, but contrary to what most reviews from Autocar,Overdrive etc I say on road the Fortuners handling is not great, the steering is heavier and gives more resistance but in true fashion its not proper feel, its just gets heavier and lighter but the feel is missing,
Also the wheels loosing grip at good speed corners again is due to the lack of a differential, the diff allows power split into wheels and manages traction even while cornering, thats why I felt the Endeavor has better road manners despite having a light and again not so feelsome steering, what spoils Endeavors confidence are its extra long travel brakes and extra kerb weight based body roll, I too felt the Fortuner behaving wierd while driving enthusiastocally, and felt the brake based vectoring at times in the AT variant as the rpm fluctuated when taking some corners again I believe its due to this torque vectoring system of Fortuner rather than diff based power distribution.

Re: Toyota Fortuner: Diesel Engine Performance

Rated the review well deserved 5-stars. Hopefully someday you would review the Ford Endeavour as well [:)].
Well, the only thing wrong about it is that it doesn't shift down as quickly as say, the DCT in Endeavour.
The 6R80 transmission in the Ford Endeavour is a torque converter unit and not a DCT.

Thread Starter #21
Thanks a lot for the input gentlemen, I stand corrected. Whatever the Endy transmission maybe, it is miles ahead of the dimwit box of Toyota.

Also regarding accelaration comparison, I dont think comparing it with a GT TDi or Figo TDCi is nice option as many wont try such things and a proper 0-100 timings would be great. Looking forward to that as well.
There are 2 reasons:
1) No petrol in direct competition
2) Few people have experience of the cars of these segments, especially the ones upgrading. Hence I tried to compare with the cars those are more commona nd hence people may get an idea that even if the fortuner, being a heavier vehicle, feels a bit slower; but is still potent enough.

Also the new Fortumer uses brake based torque vectoring differential....................than diff based power distribution.
Sirji, not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are, we need to take care of thousands of layman readers too who visit the forum to get the answers to some layman questions. Now if I start explainign every single technicality, then every review will become a novel. I hope you understand my point [:)]

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the input gentlemen, I stand corrected. Whatever the Endy transmission maybe, it is miles ahead of the dimwit box of Toyota.
There are 2 reasons:
1) No petrol in direct competition
2) Few people have experience of the cars of these segments, especially the ones upgrading. Hence I tried to compare with the cars those are more commona nd hence people may get an idea that even if the fortuner, being a heavier vehicle, feels a bit slower; but is still potent enough.
Sirji, not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are, we need to take care of thousands of layman readers too who visit the forum to get the answers to some layman questions. Now if I start explainign every single technicality, then every review will become a novel. I hope you understand my point [:)]
Sure man, I am not complaining, but I was wondering how would one benchmark an enthusiastically driven Polo GT TDi,Figo TDCi, thats all, so I thought a 0-100 time will give a better idea,

Also regarding the differential and its explanation, what I wrote was my 2 cents on why I too felt the same lack of grip at some corners in the Fortuner, at first,I thought it might be tires,but Endeavor too has same tires but different make, and I noticed some artificial brake feeling accompanied by a slight rpm shift while driving the Fortuner AT enthusiastically, so its just my guess that the lack of an LSD is what gives the Fortuner that feel,

Now I am trying to drive an Endeavor 2.2 MT 4x4, because ATs however good is kind of numb, so I think the Endeavor 2.2 4x4 MT should be a good comparison to the Fortumer 2.8 AT,

Re: Toyota Fortuner: Diesel Engine Performance

This engine makes a higher peak power at 175 BHP @ 3400 RPM, with a peak torque output of 420 Nm for MT and 450 Nm for AT (1600 - 2400 RPM), with ARAI certified FE numbers ticking at 14.29 Kmpl for MT and 12.9 kmpl for AT respectively. Yes, the torque figures for the manual version are lower by 30 Nm as compared to its automatic counterpart, which makes a higher peak torque at 450 Nm.
Congratulations TSIVipul. Excellent Review. Great effort.[clap]
FE figures are excellent. Welcome all changes. The new design was not promising while at the product launch, but it gradually grown on us, now look much better.

1. Which OEM battery are they using? Earlier model use EXIDE batteries. This version use a different one, is it?

Tipping scales at 4,795 mm in length, 1,855 mm in width and 1,835 mm in height, the new Fortuner is already longer and wider than the outgoing model, it sits lower though.
Headroom compromised with outgoing model. I feel, the headroom is better in earlier version.

3. Ride comfort might have better compared to earlier model. AT20 Dunlop Tyre versus Bridgestone Dueler A/T.

4. How is the Stock Horn? The outgoing model is having a very feeble Horn.

5. Taillamp cluster is excellent. It resembles the LEXUS tail lamp cluster.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
@Vipul, Well compiled and extremely detailed review there. Worth the wait and in true sense its the benchmark review for Toyota Fortuner. Thanks for keeping me in the loop for this review. Do let me know when you need the Endeavour so that it can be done too in the same fashion as this one.[:)] Superb Effort!

Regards

Akash

@Vipul, Well compiled and extremely detailed review there. Worth the wait and in true sense its the benchmark review for Toyota Fortuner. Thanks for keeping me in the loop for this review. Do let me know when you need the Endeavour so that it can be done too in the same fashion as this one.[:)] Superb Effort!

Regards

Akash
Can we expect comparo between two ?

It is an excellent review TSI Vipul. It is detailed, clear & crisp. I think this is the only review where the mileage figures have been tested in various driving modes(Eco, Normal & Power).

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30
FE figures are excellent. Welcome all changes. The new design was not promising while at the product launch, but it gradually grown on us, now look much better.
Same opinion in terms of design, initially it looked chinese to me but now the older version looks well outdated.

Headroom compromised with outgoing model. I feel, the headroom is better in earlier version.
Especially in third row.

3. Ride comfort might have better compared to earlier model. AT20 Dunlop Tyre versus Bridgestone Dueler A/T.
Ride, handling and braking - all three have seen vast improvement. Rest the ride is still far from plush.

4. How is the Stock Horn? The outgoing model is having a very feeble Horn.
Be ready to get disappointed, it's still same.

Do let me know when you need the Endeavour so that it can be done too in the same fashion as this one. Superb Effort!
Even I also would love to look forward for one. Let's see when time allows for it.

Sure. There are some more reviews which are being compiled so once we all get some breathing time we'll schedule the Endeavour one.
Indeed, the list is really long this time.

What an awesome review Vipul bro. Creating new gold standards of reviews imho. When can we expect Tigor review btw?
I won't say that it will come very soon. We have a clear policy of no rat race. We wait for media cars to munch miles so that we can deliver you a fully transparent review, giving you clear details of how the car will drive after say even one or two or even more years of ownership.

It is an excellent review TSI Vipul. It is detailed, clear & crisp. I think this is the only review where the mileage figures have been tested in various driving modes(Eco, Normal & Power).
I would still suggest you take those figures keeping an error of up to +-10% in mind, these are MID figures after all.

Top Bottom