Toyota Denies To Market Low-cost Cars to Chase Volumes

Re: Toyota won't market low-end cars to chase volume.

This is a perfect move.People buy Toyota cars because they believe that Toyota makes no or very less compromises in their cars(ignore Etios and Liva quite a bit here).
Now if Toyota goes this way of making mass market cars then definitely they will have to compromise on their own standards,which they are not ready to do.

This is what makes some names special..'Q-class'..

Agree to Vipul here, the etios is where they should draw the line...

Definitely they must,if brand reputation is something then they must.
People respect Honda,Toyota cars far more than Maruti or Hyundai or Tata ones,the reason is same.

350Z

Core Team

-- Toyota Motor Corp. has no intention of offering ultra-cheap cars to boost sales in emerging markets and will keep its focus on customers who expect a certain level of reliability, the company's president.
Isn't Toyota kidding? We have an apt example of latest cheap car from them right here in India – The Etios (Now also exported to Africa) to attract mass buyers. This is a product which has totally let down on the name of Toyota. There is no harm in producing low-cost cars but marketing them otherwise sure is.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Now they have come to their Senses i should say.
The Q-Class actually became the 'Questionable Class', thanks to their cover-blown cost cutting tricks. Which actually made buyers a Guinea Pig and disgrace to the ones who owned the premium cars like Innova and Fortuner.

:offtopic:Probably this would be the same case if Mercedes launches their B-Class which is under 20 lakhs!

Isn't Toyota kidding? We have an apt example of latest cheap car from them right here in India – The Etios (Now also exported to Africa) to attract mass buyers. This is a product which has totally let down on the name of Toyota. There is no harm in producing low-cost cars but marketing them otherwise sure is.

Drive Safe,
350Z
I beg to differ buddy and not because I own ETIOS.

You can compare it to Dezire/Accent/Aveo or any other similar car from this segment and you will find niggles and cost cutting in all of them in one for or the other. Performance wise I dont see any issues with ETIOS and can easily smoke all the above 3 easily. Spare parts cost wise too it is at par with others.

What I feel is ETIOS is the least costed car from TOYOTA stable but definitely not a cheap looking/feeling car.

freakdude.

Last edited:

You can compare it to Dezire/Accent/Aveo or any other similar car from this segment and you will find niggles and cost cutting in all of them in one for or the other. Performance wise I dont see any issues with ETIOS and can easily smoke all the above 3 easily. Spare parts cost wise too it is at par with others.

What I feel is ETIOS is the least costed car from TOYOTA stable but definitely not a cheap looking/feeling car.

freakdude.
Somewhere you are also right buddy,but still you must accept that the overall interior quality is still not there at par with the DZire,Aveo etc etc.
About performance,then buddy Etios has got enough performance to smoke even sedans which are a segment higher.

Somewhere you are also right buddy,but still you must accept that the overall interior quality is still not there at par with the DZire,Aveo etc etc.
About performance,then buddy Etios has got enough performance to smoke even sedans which are a segment higher.
Exactly my point!!!! For few interiors are priority and for few performance. So, all options available in this segment score in one or the other areas. Also, we all know how famous Marutis are for rattles. So, all I meant was we dont have an absolute winner in this category. [cheers]

freakdude.

350Z

Core Team

freakdude.
The point in concern is about the quoted statement, which has nothing to do about the performance aspect. As far as cost cutting is concerned, agreed that every budget car has it but Toyota just gone a step ahead and that too on prime areas (Sounds more surprising since that's not one would expect from this brand). Anyways I won't get into this debate but the following statements are clearly conflicting if considered in context to Etios:

Akio Toyoda said:
Toyota has no intention of offering ultra-cheap cars to boost sales in emerging marketsand will keep its focus on customers who expect a certain level of reliability.
Akio Toyoda said:
"We won't risk sacrificing quality simply to meet a certain price range," he said.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Drive Safe,
350Z
Etios is not that cheap. The cost cutting can be seen only in interiors but it is far better than a Figo. When comparing to swift, the 100-0 kph distance of Liva/Etios is only 40 m while swift will do the same only after 90 m. The only thing I hate in Liva is that it's door beading is not on the door but on the body frame.

Exactly my point!!!! For few interiors are priority and for few performance. So, all options available in this segment score in one or the other areas. Also, we all know how famous Marutis are for rattles. So, all I meant was we dont have an absolute winner in this category. [cheers]

freakdude.
In India compact cars are made cost oriented. That may be the reason for not having an absolute winner.

Exactly what I meant to say,Etios is not that cheap car.Bust still it seems to be sub standard going by the net product quality of Toyota.
Very correct buddy. But I guess we can give this one to Toyota as this is their first attempt at a car this side of 10 lacs. We can certainly not compare Etios's quality with Altis/camry or any other example upwards of 10lac. But still I feel Toyota has done their homework well before launching Etios. I too agree that it is built to cost but is still decent.

freakdude.

Top Bottom