Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel Road Test Review

Well its not a performance car alright but after paying close to 15Lakhs i would want atleast a decent engine under the hood. This Corolla Altis diesel has a puny 1.4L engine under the hood which even a hatch like i20 CRDI or Punto 90HP can make it sweat! Even sedans like Vento and Fluidic Verna which are much cheaper are more powerful than the Altis. I get the Cruze for the same money which puts out 150BHP from a 2.0L engine! I agree the Altis offers great FE but Toyota should have provided an engine which can match the competitors in its segment.
dude your worrying about engine performance but toyota is not!! they wanted corolla for more FE so ppl buy it and also taxi wallas and they got it done!! altis has best FE in segment..

@ Vivian Are you sure about that? Because i thought Cruze was this segment leader sometime back. I hardly see Altis diesel on road these days but Cruze i can spot atleast 10 daily. And anyways Altis may sell well because after its being used as a taxi too but Cruze is not!

@ Dodgeviper Different people , different requirements dude. I just cannot buy a car costing 15Lakhs with a puny engine under the hood! If i wanted more FE i would buy the fully loaded i20 CRDI Asta which offers more features and more FE at a much cheaper price , just that it loses on comfort and space. Look at the Altis petrol it has got a decent performer under the hood but diesel is not.

fully agree with vivian!!

@ Dodgeviper Different people , different requirements dude. I just cannot buy a car costing 15Lakhs with a puny engine under the hood! If i wanted more FE i would buy the fully loaded i20 CRDI Asta which offers more features and more FE at a much cheaper price , just that it loses on comfort and space. Look at the Altis petrol it has got a decent performer under the hood but diesel is not.
dude you can buy i20 over altis but business people and taxi people? do you think they will take small car when they want big sedan with best FE??

@ Vivian Are you sure about that? Because i thought Cruze was this segment leader sometime back. I hardly see Altis diesel on road these days but Cruze i can spot atleast 10 daily. And anyways Altis may sell well because after its being used as a taxi too but Cruze is not!

Friend you are living with figures while Toyota owners are more practical. Altis Diesel is the best choice for a practically thinking man. One thing you should remember is that a car is not only for the person who drives it but also for passengers too. What about the rear legroom and rear headroom in Cruze. It seems like a two seater coupe. And what about i20's handling. People like me ( business class) are looking for decent performance, good comfort and better fuel efficiency for long drives. Moreover Toyota's reliability. Toyota vehicles are properly tested before getting onto roads while Hyundai is just making cars and throwing it onto roads.

Agree Altis is a best practical car considering the FE and the low maintenance costs. And also agreed Cruze is a bit low in legroom and headroom space.

And now wait buddy , don't post comments supporting a car just because you are going to own it! i20 is a bad handler agreed again but Altis is not a great handler either and if you think Altis is a great handler at high speeds then hop into a Laura or Jetta first! And next you are comparing a 7Lakh car with a 15Lakh car , that just isnt fair! And if you think Hyundai cars are not reliable then i feel sorry for you , please grow up! My Verna CRDI has clocked 53k KMS till now and till now i have not spent a single penny towards any repairs or replacement mind you not even a single bulb! And except for the steering rattle in i10 , i20 there are hardly any mechanical defects in the car. Hyundai's are equally reliable as a Honda or a Toyota.

And see the sales figures i bet Cruze is the segment leader now and if not for that i am quite sure it sells more than the Altis. People out there are not fools to buy a car without any reason , there are reasons why Cruze sells more than Altis.

Last edited:
Friend you are living with figures while Toyota owners are more practical. Altis Diesel is the best choice for a practically thinking man. One thing you should remember is that a car is not only for the person who drives it but also for passengers too. What about the rear legroom and rear headroom in Cruze. It seems like a two seater coupe. And what about i20's handling. People like me ( business class) are looking for decent performance, good comfort and better fuel efficiency for long drives. Moreover Toyota's reliability. Toyota vehicles are properly tested before getting onto roads while Hyundai is just making cars and throwing it onto roads.
Budddy im soo sorry to hear that your telling HYUNDAI just throws vehicles on roads[confused] HYUNDAI does all kinds of testing which u said they are not doing!!! There is no company making cars and throwing it on road if you think there s some company like that check if it is the car company which your supporting!!![cheers]

You think ALTIS is better than CRUZE very disappointed!! I agreee your a business class person who wants business class car!! But when it comes to cars you should see whether the money your spending is worth for wat u gonna get!!!! 15lk for ALTIS???? Not a good idea for a business man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Budddy im soo sorry to hear that your telling HYUNDAI just throws vehicles on roads. HYUNDAI does all kinds of testing which u said they are not doing!!! There is no company making cars and throwing it on road if you think there s some company like that check if it is the car company which your supporting!!!
I owned a Hyundai Getz and it's engine got failure just after 16000 kms. I changed the crank case and crank shaft for Rs.13000. I know other two people who had similar problem with Getz. Why they stopped Getz so soon [anger]

I donno how u maintained your ride buddy so i cant comment on that!!! Anyway my hyundai i20 is been awesome to me[:)]
You cant say that they just throw the car on the road!!! Its a car manufacturing company not some toy shop on the road side!!!

I owned a Hyundai Getz and it's engine got failure just after 16000 kms. I changed the crank case and crank shaft for Rs.13000. I know other two people who had similar problem with Getz. Why they stopped Getz so soon [anger]

Dude the discussion is about Altis and its performance , we have moved towards Hyundai , i20 and now Getz. Yes maybe Getz had its share of problems but look at Hyundai now. Hyundai gives VFM cars and at the same time time they are reliable too. My friend's i20 for 10k KMS no problems till now , My Verna 53k KMS not a single problem till now.

Altis is a good car , no doubt. It has got the best FE , good comfort its just that i don't like a car having a puny engine after spending 15Lakhs. I want a car that should perform atleast on par with its competitors and Altis falls short when compared to its competitors.

Anyways as i said before Altis is a great car i agree. Just that different people have different requirements. Altis suits you more whereas a Jetta , Laura or Cruze suits my taste more.

End of discussion , cheers mate![cheers]

Never call Toyota Corolla Altis an underpowered car

Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel 1.4L D4-D mill has more torque than Innova 2.5L D4-D engine

Corolla Altis Diesel 1.4L D4-D torque = 205 Nm @ 1800-2800 rpm

Innova 2.5L D4-D torque = 200 Nm @ 1400-3400 rpm

So Altis has more muscle power than Innova [glasses]

Cost of Carolla Altis Diesel in Gurgaon

Hi am planning to buy Atlis Diesel in next few days. Was wondering if anyone has bought the same car in Gurgaon or Delhi recently and how much have you paid. Dealers seem to be desperate these days and dont want to leave any money on the table. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Cost of Carolla Altis Diesel in Gurgaon

Welcome aboard to The Automotive India, Nitin. Altis Diesel (Base) costs roughly around Rs.13.9 Lakhs (On-Road, Delhi). Please request quotes from various dealers for a better idea. Meanwhile, Do check out the following useful links to the ownership reviews of Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel:

> http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...oyota-corolla-altis-d-4d.html?highlight=altis

> http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...sel-ownership-experience.html?highlight=altis

> http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ota-corolla-altis-diesel.html?highlight=altis

Drive Safe,
350Z

It is the high GC which makes handling poorer than CHEVY cruze. Yes ,practically we need to have good GC in India.

But it is definitely an underpowered car @ 14/15 L INR. During my recent TD ,I felt that the power/torque was no better than manza.

Its been close to 4 years now since i bought a toyota corolla altis diesel. It has clocked close to 53k on the ODO now and no surprises, its just as how it was when i bought it.

As many in this thread feel, i would agree that the Altis diesel has a smaller engine compared to its competition. It does bother when one needs to keep on changing gears all the while in city. However, in the highway ,its such a pleasure driving it as in most of our highways, 100-120 is the average norm rather than 140-150.

I feel if a person is a sedate driver (like me), this is more than enough in the city as well in highways and suits all my purposes. However, if one is a revving and pick up oriented guy, this car is not for him.All said and done, this segment seems to be wafering down giving way to more urban SUVs.

Top Bottom