Titanic: A Ship of Dreams

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

17 Years back James Cameron made a un-paralleled effort to bring to life the history of the magnificent ship Titanic which couldn't complete its maiden voyage and went into deep sea due to an unfortunate incident of being struck by an Ice-berg.

I was so fascinated by this movie that I went to search about Titanic in depth. I was in Class 8th when my dad presented me a book on the conceptualizing and death of Titanic. It was a History of the Unsinkable Titanic!

step0002.jpg

step0001.jpg

We as viewers and enthusiasts have limited knowledge about the Titanic and whatever we could gain was with help of the Movie Titanic that released on Christmas of 1997.

This book illustrates the journey of Titanic from start to death in such an engrossing manner that my few words can't portray those details. Such a beautiful way of bringing out an autobiography of biggest man made ship ever in the History by Robert D Ballard!

THE TITANIC

step0002 (1).jpg

step0001 (2).jpg

step0001 (3).jpg

The Building of a Dream! The Titanic!

step0001 (1).jpg

The idea of Titanic was coined at Downshire house, a place where the Spanish Embassy in Great Britain is at present.

step0001 (5).jpg

The man behind realizing this dream of Titanic was J. Bruce Ismay, the M.D of White Star Line.

step0001 (6).jpg

The 15.5 Ton Anchor of the Titanic was carried by a team of 20 horses and then the Titanic's hull was complete and it waited for its launch.

step0001 (9).jpg

step0001 (8).jpg

The launch ticket of the Titanic.

step0001 (10).jpg

Continued in next post!

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Titanic: A Ship of Dreams.

Part 2: Titanic's maiden voyage begins!

step0001.jpg

Titanic's side tower at Southampton's Ocean deck prior to departure in morning!

step0001 (1).jpg

Titanic now slowly moves from the berth towards the river for test.

step0001 (2).jpg

The Captain of Titanic, Captain Smith. Remember the scene where the Captain reaches to the forward Deck of Titanic with a cup of Tea?

step0001 (3).jpg

He was actually the one who voluntarily stood by the sinking Titanic and never left it. He was offered a life jacket but he refused and entered his room and locked it. Within moments the water gushed inside the cabin and he could not survive. Remember the scene of the movie where in the Captain is washed away in the last moments!!

Titanic at France!

step0001 (4).jpg

Below is the pic of the wealthiest passenger of the Titanic, John Jacob Astor.

step0001 (5).jpg

A Star Landaulet rented by a passenger of Titanic.

step0001 (6).jpg

# Continued in next post

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Part 3: Titanic, The Ship of Dreams.

step0001.jpg

Pics of Titanic's 1st Class lounge where passengers gathered over cup of tea!

step0001 (1).jpg

step0001 (2).jpg

step0001 (3).jpg

The 1st Class Stair case of Titanic!

step0001 (4).jpg

The beautiful Chandelier!

step0001 (5).jpg

The 1st Class Dinning Hall!

step0001 (11).jpg

The 1st Class rooms in B-Deck of the Titanic.

step0001 (6).jpg

The Verandah Cafe in Titanic was similar to White Star Line's another ship called Olympic.

step0001 (7).jpg

The Second Class Public rooms.

step0001 (8).jpg

The Third-Level Rooms in Titanic

step0001 (10).jpg

Ticket to Turkish Bath!

step0001 (9).jpg

The Gym in the Titanic

step0001 (12).jpg

# Continued in next post

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Part 4: The Fateful Day!

step0001 (1).jpg

step0001 (2).jpg

As the evening weather grew colder the passengers on the deck enjoyed the historic sunset of their lives!

step0001 (3).jpg

Titanic's 3 Senior Officers

Chief Officer Henry Wilde, Second Officer Charles Herbert Lightoller and sixth Offier James Moody.

step0001 (5).jpg

Officer's coat button with White Star Line Insignia

step0001 (4).jpg

Titanic's A-la-carte restaurant!

step0001 (6).jpg

Titanic's wheel was attached to a Bronze Pedestal called tele-motor!

step0001 (7).jpg

Even after the collision with Ice-berg had occurred the 1st class smoking lounge was full of men playing cards and enjoying Cigars!

step0001 (8).jpg

step0001 (9).jpg

Fredrick Fleet was the one who sighted the Ice-berg first!

step0001 (11).jpg

The in-charge of the bridge who also saw the ice-berg, Officer William Murdoch.

step0001 (10).jpg

Continued in next post!

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Titanic: Immortal Legacy Of A Dream!

Part 5: The Deadly Encounter, Changed lives of many and created history!

step0001 (1).jpg

step0001 (2).jpg

In it's last tryst with destiny, Titanic was helped by these firemen who were present in the boiler room. They were like the unsung hero's who helped Titanic to fight the battle!

step0001 (3).jpg

Depiction of Ice-berg

step0001 (4).jpg

After the passengers realized that the ship was in trouble they immediately went to get their deposited valuables but were refused and told to wear life jackets and move up.

step0001 (5).jpg

There were really few life-boats due to over-confidence of Titanic being "Unsinkable".

step0001 (7).jpg

Part 6: To the life-boats, It was a sea of emotions which can never be explained in words.

step0001 (8).jpg

step0001 (9).jpg

step0001 (10).jpg

step0001 (15).jpg

The Unsinkable Molley Brown!

step0001 (12).jpg

The descent for an eternal sleep begun by Titanic!

step0001 (13).jpg

step0001 (11).jpg

Even after knowing the fate, few brave musicians kept on playing the band!

step0001 (14).jpg

# Continued in next post.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Akash1886

Honoured Member

The Final Plunge and Rediscovery after many years!

step0001.jpg

step0001 (1).jpg

step0001 (4).jpg

step0001 (5).jpg

step0001 (3).jpg

The route of Titanic's maiden voyage! The "x" mark shows the accident sight.

step0001 (2).jpg

Rediscovery of Titanic after many years. The last remains of the Titanic!

step0001 (7).jpg

step0001 (8).jpg

step0001 (9).jpg

step0001 (10).jpg

As mark of respect the statue of Captain Smith stands tall in his hometown!

step0001 (6).jpg

So Friends, after thinking and working on this thread for more than 5 hours together, I conclude that there can never be a parallel to Captain Smith or to the Titanic Movie. What Leonardo, Billy Zane and Kate Winslet did in the movie, they immortalized the Titanic!

Hope you enjoy this thread!

Regards

Akash

Hello Akash,

I went through your thread on the Titanic and must admit that you have taken pains in compiling it - the photos specially are very evocative of the period. It is interesting to note that the "steering telemotor" that you mention in one of the photos had remained more or less unchanged for over 50 years!
The very first ship of my career (the M.V. Sonavati", which went down in a cyclone off Vizag on 8th Dec. 1973, & yes I was on board as the 5th engineer!) had a steering telemotor which had an identical system!

I heard the radio officer of Titanic was some how responsible for the fate of the ship. He was warned of the presence of iceberg near the ship. But not properly communicated to captain.

Thread Starter #11

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hello Akash,

I went through your thread on the Titanic and must admit that you have taken pains in compiling it - the photos specially are very evocative of the period.
The very first ship of my career (the M.V. Sonavati", which went down in a cyclone off Vizag on 8th Dec. 1973, & yes I was on board as the 5th engineer!)
Sir request you to please share some pics of your Ships and do begin a dedicated thread about various ships and their mechanisms too. It would be interesting as well as really helpful in learning about something new too.

I heard the radio officer of Titanic was some how responsible for the fate of the ship. He was warned of the presence of iceberg near the ship. But not properly communicated to captain.
There are many speculations. But the truth itself went down with the ship. God knows whose fault was it.
Ya, very true. who was at fault or not, what could have been done that time, all is now history. But no matter what, after so many years of the sinking, after 2 decades of the movie, when we talk of TITANIC, the excitement to know more about it is still the same even today.

Regards

Akash

Sir request you to please share some pics of your Ships and do begin a dedicated thread about various ships and their mechanisms too. It would be interesting as well as really helpful in learning about something new too.
Regards
Akash
Hello Akash,
OK, I'll try and start a thread on Mariners & Ships so that our mariner friends on this forum can also contribute their experiences & visuals, thus enriching the forum content![:)]

Hello Akash,
OK, I'll try and start a thread on Mariners & Ships so that our mariner friends on this forum can also contribute their experiences & visuals, thus enriching the forum content![:)]

Instead of starting a thread, I feel it is better if I contribute to the thread " My experience as an engineer, as a Mariner" by Nozzlering. This would provide some continuity and may even add to the content in the thread!
Regards,
Shashanka

Hello Akash,

I went through your thread on the Titanic and must admit that you have taken pains in compiling it - the photos specially are very evocative of the period. It is interesting to note that the "steering telemotor" that you mention in one of the photos had remained more or less unchanged for over 50 years!
The very first ship of my career (the M.V. Sonavati", which went down in a cyclone off Vizag on 8th Dec. 1973, & yes I was on board as the 5th engineer!) had a steering telemotor which had an identical system!
Mr Choudhury
My father was Radio officer on the M V Sonavati
I would like to get in touch with you please
How can I
thanks
Aban

Mr Choudhury
My father was Radio officer on the M V Sonavati
I would like to get in touch with you please
How can I
thanks
Aban

Hello Aban,

Please excuse the delay in my reply to your post. And this is an extraordinary experience - you are the first person I am hearing from (in the past 30+ years or so) in connection with the Sonavati incident. The last person I met was Mr. Subedar (the 2nd Engr) at the Mumbai Marine Club, sometime in the late seventies!
Alright, so you are Mr. Billimoria's son. I always remember him as a very pleasant human being and one who was very active in our MUI organisation. I shall not dwell on the actual incident & revive painful memories.
You can certainly get in touch with me - my e-mail id :
With best regards,
Shashanka Choudhury

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom