Tips To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

Re: Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

To get the best FE the following are the steps taken by me:
1)Always put the engine in the powerband,example:If you are driving a turbo diesel then its better to put it somewhat above 2000 rpm,due to which you don't need to make many gearshifts,the car moves at a good speed and engine does not feel stressed at all.
2)Be extremely careful at the fuel pumps and never ever go on backfoot if you find them at fault.

I have a question here, may be :offtopic:
Few petrol pumps tweak the meter and gives us less fuel for what we pay. Can we get the correct fuel if we try with Tank Full - Tank Full method every time I fuel my car ??

Your tank has to be completely empty or atleast near empty ... But its a risky proposition to wait till the fuel level reaches such low.

Your tank has to be completely empty or atleast near empty
Do you mean to compare the quantity filled with the tank capacity?
If so, this won't help. Quantity of fuel tank specified in the manual/broucher is always less than the actual capacity.

I have a small question - How to drive in B To B traffic in order to get good FE ? :stupid:

I have a small question - How to drive in B To B traffic in order to get good FE ? :stupid:
There is nothing much you can do here, because you cannot anticipate the traffic pattern ahead of you, IMO just do not accelerate quickly to fill the gap when the vehicle in front of you moves a step.

Really hard to achieve good FE in B-to-B traffic. Still we can observe few points:

1. Do not be very close to the vehicle in front of you. This gives you more length to travel when person in front of you moves.
2. If the vehicle in front of you moves just a lil bit and again comes to standstill, avoid brdging the gap and stay where you are and move only when you see the distance in front of you as descent to move ahead.
3. Avoid racing your engine when standstill.
4. Keep your music system volume low especially if you drive a heavy setup with monos and subs. YES, ICE does effect your FE. [:)]
5. If weather/pollution permits roll the windows down and turn off the AC.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Freakdude.

Really hard to achieve good FE in B-to-B traffic. Still we can observe few points:

1. Do not be very close to the vehicle in front of you. This gives you more length to travel when person in front of you moves.
2. If the vehicle in front of you moves just a lil bit and again comes to standstill, avoid brdging the gap and stay where you are and move only when you see the distance in front of you as descent to move ahead.
3. Avoid racing your engine when standstill.
4. Keep your music system volume low especially if you drive a heavy setup with monos and subs. YES, ICE does effect your FE. [:)]
5. If weather/pollution permits roll the windows down and turn off the AC.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Freakdude.
Your points almost cover everything which can be done in B2B traffic. Also, just to add, IF Possible, try using the roads at that time or if you are stuck in such a situation, if there are alternative routes use them. In case there is no way out of snarl, keep moving your car in one gear only and avoid starting and stopping your car too frequently. Every start takes around 5-10 secs of running fuel.

Good points freakdude. But i think you forgot the main thing leave the vehicle in neutral and not in first gear with the clutch depressed while standing in traffic.

This is really an information.. Can you explain how?

Good points freakdude. But i think you forgot the main thing leave the vehicle in neutral and not in first gear with the clutch depressed while standing in traffic.
Thanks for this info which I do normally. If you could explaing it will be more informative

And yeah even i came to know ICE does affect the FE a bit , can somebody explain how?

@ Sethumurugan Even i am no technical guru but i will say what i know. The more you use the clutch and the longer you keep it depressed the more fuel you use. That is why inside city traffic fuel consumption is more and in highways we get good FE. Wait for somebody more experienced to explain the technical reason behind this.

Reported Post by reheboth

To increase your fuel consumption 20%,to avoid frequent oil changes upto 25000 kmtrs,reduce your engine sound and to keep your engine healthy..you can also use the additive oil GT-OIL Imported ( can use only in four stroke engines ).

Ahhhhhhh. thanks for pointing it out cooldhaya. [thumbsup]

The effect of ICE though negligible but is still there. The ICE system draws power from car's battery which in turn is charged by the alternator which in turn is powered by the engine which burns fuel to keep running. So loading the alternator at lower/idling RPMs means more power required to turn the alternator.

Top Bottom