Tips on Repainting a Used Car & Bike?

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I will be painting the Lamby in a few days time. Although I have a rough idea on how to paint it, I request you all to share some valuable info you have on
"HOW TO REPAINT METAL SURFACES"

What I know is
  1. Strip the vehicle of all parts to be painted
  2. Wash them with strong detergent
  3. Sand them using Sanding tools/ Sanding paper, sand them to the bare metal
  4. Wipe the surface with thinner & a cloth
  5. Apply first coat of Primer & let it dry
  6. Apply second coat of primer & let it dry
  7. Sand the primered surface with 1000/2000grit sandpaper
  8. Wash the surface again & let it dry
  9. Apply the first coat of paint & wait for it to dry (3 - 4 hrs minimum)
  10. Apply second coat of paint, be carefull & watch out for uneven spray from the first attempt
  11. Rub your palm across the painted surface & if everything is fine, apply the CLEAR COAT/ Lacquer
  12. Aplly the second coat of Lacquer after the first one dry
  13. Do some Vinyl Stickering if required (for designs/names etc) then apply Lacquer to the outer edges of the sticker
  14. JOB DONE :D

The above list is for a surface that has no dents, all tinkering work done.

Please let me know, if I am going wrong somewhere, so that I take the correct steps.

Thanks in Advance

SS80

Re: Repainting a used car/ bike - Tips needed

What else? You said it all. The paint area should be dust free. Much better would be a paint booth.

Thread Starter #3

Can you suggest me any particular Brand of primer to use? The paint will be from Dupont, I dont know any brand in Clear Coat/Primer.

The tinker person told me to apply Putty before applying primer, I am not sure if he means Body Filler (as Putty or is Putty totally different item?). But why do we need to apply Putty if surface is normal? I mean no dents/cracks etc.

So If I am correct it should go in this order right?

Bare Metal > Primer > Paint > Clear Coat

The name of this thread should be changed from Repainting a used car/ bike - Tips needed to Repainting a used car/ bike - Tips Provided

The procedure stated by you, ss80, is bang on. You have covered each & every step IMO.

If i may suggest you, please refrain from applying any body filler or putty if the surface is smooth and free from defects. Putty can be used on areas which have been tinkered with, to match the line and level.
Also i hope you will use either zinc oxide (preferred) or red oxide primer on bare metal first followed by a coat of surfacer/ paint primer in simple terms. This will ensure longevity of the paint and painted surface too.

Thread Starter #6
Also i hope you will use either zinc oxide (preferred) or red oxide primer on bare metal first followed by a coat of surfacer/ paint primer in simple terms. This will ensure longevity of the paint and painted surface too.
Thanks Samsag, this is something I did not think of. I thought Paint primer would be enough for the bare metal. I will keep this in mind too.

I will try adding pictures of the Paint Primer, Surfacer & Zinc oxide that I have May be useful to our TAI friends ( I struggled a lot searching for these pictures in the initial days)

Top Bottom