Tips on How To Effectively Wax Your Car

Finally i bought 3M Liquid wax.
I couldn't find Turtle or Formula1 (original).

I am planning to wax this weekend.[clap]

There is a good demo on youtube

[YT]nOJqntJjn9I[/YT]

Last edited:
I tried this weekend the 3M wax on my car. The resut was satisfactory but nothing great. I will try Formula1 or Turtle next time.

Waxing the car is 45 mins. hard work!!

Same happened with me too.Got formula1 wax at rs.300/- from bigbazaar 3 months back but i think it was afake one because it didnt give that kind which i used to get before when i used the same product.
Guys please suggest other wax that works gud.
Big Bazaar has lots of fake products. I could find many not genuine products sold in Big Bazaar, Coimbatore. Even the quality of many products are not good.

Thats why i dont shop such products from BB now. Actually my place doesnt have much big market for Auto goods which is why i went to BB.

I received the wax, its 500ml - cost Rs. 465 (433+VAT). They delivered to my office address.
The best thing is its original and imported from UK.

Initially i was thinking its costly, as 3M cost was just Rs. 80. But that is just 100 ml, and turtle i got is 500ml, so cost wise its same. I will make an update here once i apply this sometime next month.

Going by the title ... am reminded of the scene in Karate Kid ...

Wax on .... Wax off.
Left hand ... wax on, Right hand ... Wax off!

[:D]

Below are the details of "Platinum Series Precision Car Wax".

Our finest wax for a performance finish
- Includes Brazilian Carnauba Wax and the finest Bavarian Montan Wax, to deliver a brilliant shine
- Special lubricating polymers ensure that the product glides on easily and buffs off without effort
- Contains Polishing agents to remove light oxidation and stubborn road film
- Balanced formulation permits multiple coats without build up

So there is polishing agent. Now the question is, is it OK to use?

How to choose

All waxes require elbow grease, patience, and time. Depending on how fast you work, how thorough you are, the size of your vehicle, and the product you choose, expect to spend at least an hour to do a decent job. Match the car wax to your car-care needs to see which type of product best suits your needs.

Consider the age of your car. If It’s one or two years old or still has a good finish, an easy spray wax might be all you need. But keep in mind that these products wear out the fastest. No wax will improve the shine on a newer car. But if you don’t plan to replace your car for a while, waxing will help preserve the finish over time.

If you have an older car, or one whose finish has already begun to oxidize or has embedded grime, you may want to consider a product that scored high for cleaning to help bring back and maintain the finish. Liquid waxes proved the best in cleaning.

Watch out for abrasion. Waxes can be abrasive, some more than others, and the tiny particles in car waxes or harsh chemicals can leave fine scratches or a haze on your car’s finish.

Dark-colored vehicles show scratches more easily than lighter-colored ones. If you own a black or dark-colored vehicle, be especially wary of products that scored low in our scratching and hazing tests.

The same abrasiveness can make clear-coated surfaces look hazy or cloudy when the finish is marred by fine scratches, giving the paint a duller look than before waxing. Most wax packaging indicates whether a product is safe for clear-coat finishes.

Consider how much plastic is on your car. Some waxes can leave a visible residue on nonglossy, porous plastic parts such as bumpers, plastic body panels, and door trim. Those parts are often black or gray, and some newer cars may have a lot of them. If that sounds like your car, choose a product that scored well in our compatibility-with-plastic tests. Once wax gets on those surfaces, it may be necessary to use a commercially available plastic cleaner to get rid of it.

If saving time and effort is your priority and your car’s paint is in excellent condition, a spray-on, wipe-off product may be your best bet. Spray-on waxes can also be used for a quick touch-up between conventional waxings. These waxes don’t clean as well as or last as long as liquids or pastes, but that’s not an issue if you wax often. And the more often you wax, the more you’ll appreciate their ease of application.

With any wax you choose, it is recommended you first try using it on an inconspicuous area such as a doorjamb. And regardless of how hard you work, how much you spend, or what longevity claims manufacturers make, don’t expect any wax to last all that long. All of the products tested showed a significant loss of protection within about five weeks.

Source - How to choose

Difference between Polishes, Waxes and Sealants

There is a distinctive difference between these 3 products that all those interested in detailing should know.

A polish removes flaws that are below the paint surface. They are abrasive, and will eat into the paintwork in order to remove the imperfections.

Waxes are the traditional, natural, protection for cars. Most car waxes use carnauba as their main component. It is nature's hardest, purest and most transparent wax. Carnauba car waxes tend to produce a deeper, darker, richer shine that is often described as "three-dimensional."

Paint sealants are synthetic waxes that serve the same purpose of protecting the car paintwork. They are made of polymer or acrylic resins and are known to offer excellent durability and ease of application. However, many feel that paint sealants lack the depth and richness of colour that natural waxes provide. Car owners with little detailing experience should not use paint sealants as they are difficult to buff off.

Good one again RSM. I use wax and polishes, never heard of Paint sealants before. Can somebody explain this in simpler words?

Top Bottom