Tips For Long Highway Drives in India

I found replacing bulbs of modern cars complicated. It is really cramped there. Any idea to change bulb easily?
ya its a bit cramped in some vehicles , I would suggest you to keep a small torch light for emergency,it will help you to change the bulb at night,and just checkout the way in which your vehicle's headlamp bulbs can be removed.You can do it thereafter.

Well, my car will always have a tow belt (with heavy duty coupling), a torch, a Swiss army knife, gloves, and a 2 litre bottle of water in the boot.
Had to get a good velcro strap to keep the bottle from rolling around.
Change the water every month or so, so that in an emergency, it remains drinkable .. check the batteries every 3 months or so.

Thread Starter #22
During my recent trip, I noticed that when you are nearing to your destination, you try to reach as soon as possible. Since you are already tired, one should be extra careful while nearing to destination.

During my recent trip, I noticed that when you are nearing to your destination, you try to reach as soon as possible. Since you are already tired, one should be extra careful while nearing to destination.
Yes, i agree with you. Even i feel the same when i near my destination.

Yes i agree with RSM , especially after long trips. We would be very tired and maybe our reflex actions will not be spontaneous either. Its always safe to drive at a normal speed even though the road is empty in late nights.

Yes, i agree with you. Even i feel the same when i near my destination.
Yes i agree with RSM , especially after long trips. We would be very tired and maybe our reflex actions will not be spontaneous either. Its always safe to drive at a normal speed even though the road is empty in late nights.
But i have never felt the same while reaching destination.
And night driving is really best time as the vehicles are less.
Whether it's Day or Night , I love to drive all time.

Last edited:
Thanx for sharing ! Excellent tips and if you may allow I'll put in my two cents to combat highway drowsiness., pop in a chewing gum, suck a candy., in case of diabetics try a combination of fenugreek and cardamom (saunf and elaichi).

For long Night drives on Highway, Always don't focus on a particular area of the road in the front.
Change the lights from low beam to high beam and back to low beam.
And change you viewing distance to the far & near combination.
This really works in order to judge whether a truck or any other obstacle's are stranded on highway or broken down without any signal or light & one can avoid it very well & judge accordingly.

Last edited:
on long drives don't keep on looking staight ahead frequently focus on objects on the sides of the road for a few seconds it relaxes your eyes.on drives on highways if you see somethig amiss brake first ask questions later (like a stalled vehicle, an accident site etc) i have seen cars braking very near to broken down vehicle and ramming onto the rear of the stalled car. keep some eatables in the car so that you can keep up your energy levels chocolates are my favourite. on night drives either drink coffee/ tea to ward off sleep.if driving for real long hours cat naps of 10 - 15 minutes are refreshing. if driving alone late at night keep the volume of the music system a bit on the higher side it helps to keep off sleep & also singing along. best time for a night drive is after 10pm till 6am. the truck wallas don't do much driving after 10.my longest non stop drive was from pune to kannur in 23hrs55minutes in my indica v2 in 2005.a medicine kit in the car is also useful. pain killers for head ache ( try driving long distance with a head / tooth ache ) anti diarrhoeals.anti emetics for vomitting. antisceptics etc etc.foot pump to inflate a deflating tyre. a tyre pressure gauge are also helpful at times.on long haul journey don't be an aggressive driver. drive smoothly ( hence my name hi...hi ) no sudden acceleration or trying to keep up with some kid who has just overtaken you.you can catch up with him as no one can go on continously on high speed for very long.

Keep alternative horns in your car by using 2-way switch.

I faced some problem with my Bosch Horn(Skoda type) during Vellore to Madurai trip. but i also have alternate horn (Roots Steel plated) in car. so i managed the whole trip with Roots horn.

Top Bottom