Tips For Long Highway Drives in India

I may have to do night driving to go to Kolhapur (from Bangalore) and wanted to get some tips on night driving. I have also seen http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...10-how-avoid-sleep-while-driving-night-3.html on avoiding sleep, but think there will be few more important things I need to be aware of like high/low beam, where to stop and where not to stop etc.

It would help if experts could advise me.

Note that I will be driving with my wife and kid (2 yr).

Thanks.
Apart from anything else, please make your wife and kid sit at back seat. If someone sleeps at front passenger seat, it makes you feel double sleepy.

Couple of things I takecare especially when I drive nights are,

1. Check my fuel. Once it is half empty, I will try to fill it and won't wait till it is empty.
2. If I feel tired, I just pullover in a place/junction where there are ample light as well as movement.
3. Check my lights and if possible carry extra set of bulb as well as fuses.
4. Definitely a fully charged powerfull battery
5. Sleep very well before starting my journey.
6. Try to take rest close in between from 1 to 3AM. You will be fully recharged and from then you can drive. This is important, as this the time many driver fall asleep and cause accidents.
7. Have lot of fluids and feel free to stop as many as times for nature call. This will give yourself and machine some break. And definitely for your legs.

Make sure you have a spare tire in a good condition.

All the very best for your journey. Safe and Happy journey!

Can any one help about highway conditions form Bangalore to Varansi. Please update on route places how safe they are and what precaution i should take in particular place. I am planing to go with in a month time. Any update is appreciated.

The most important aspect is patience, and be cool to face any situations.
Avoid mid night drive if not comfortable, and roads are not familiar. I have these following items ready while on long trips.
  • Torch,
  • CD/DVD of your favorite musics,
  • Refreshments to refresh you at times.
  • Drinking Water at door pockets
  • Necessary tools to handle any situations.
  • Battery chargers (camera, mobile),
  • Maps or Smartphone,
  • Towels,
  • Be prepared to change a flat tyre on demanding situations

Great thread to share our views on highway long drives.
Whenever I will go on long drive will do the vehicle regular service in advance and prepare a check list to keep the below items in my car.
• Torch
• Pen drive updated with latest songs
• Drinking water
• Air pump and Tube less tire puncture repair kit
• Usb charger cable for my smart phone and camera charger
• My photo gear and batteries with full charge
• Check the tire pressure and get it corrected
• Fill the petrol to the brim
• Keep the speed within limits

Share important things to ensure before a long car journey

Hi all,

I am preparing for a long journey from Mumbai to Kerala(Cochin) the coming week. I would like to ask you all the things to ensure, like objects to carry, the route to take, things to do in the car, schedule planning, and all other important things to note while embarking on a long journey.

I want you all to share your experience regarding planning for a long journey at home and then the execution and things to care.

Waiting enthusiastically for all your answers.

Thank you.

details regarding the drive would aid in planning the drive. do you intend to make a beeline to kochi or do you intend to see/ stop in between the two places. will you be the only driver ? the vehicle. time that you can spend driving etc etc.

details regarding the drive would aid in planning the drive. do you intend to make a beeline to kochi or do you intend to see/ stop in between the two places. will you be the only driver ? the vehicle. time that you can spend driving etc etc.
Hello smooth rider,

I am planning to halt at Kollur, Karnataka on Day 1, and then proceed to Cochin a day later. I am planning to drive only during the day (5am to 7pm) and my machine is a Chevy Enjoy LTZ. Can you recommend the route to take, or others who must have gone through this route can help. And yes, only I will be driving[:)] Thank you for helping..!

Homework to do for long distance travel in car

I am new member joining this thread. I am planning for a long journey in my car. My vehicle is wagon R. What are the planning i have to do regarding my car? Experts can give me valuable comments on this...

Re: Homework to do for long distance travel in car

I am new member joining this thread. I am planning for a long journey in my car. My vehicle is wagon R. What are the planning i have to do regarding my car? Experts can give me valuable comments on this...

check the mechanical and electrical conditions..ride carefully..single lane roads less than 80, highways less at 100. ride at 50% of your riding skills. you are safe

My wagonr is lxi so not additional lights ( fog lights ). What type of light i should install for both raining and foggy condition. Is it legal in india to use those lights?.
Second, what documents should i carry in related with car. During any highway checking should we have to show the original or attested copies of car documents?
Third, my car is registered in kerala. So i go other state or crossing check post of other state, do we have to stop for any verification?
I am planning the trip in the month of september but still want to do everything in advance

kumargmks how long is your trip? if you are not planning to drive long distances at night no need for extra lights. if its raining cats and dogs and if you are not comfortable in driving park your car safely by the road and wait out the rain to slow down.
you should carry the original rc if you are going out of state, the insurance paper, the pollution under control certificate and your driving licence.
if its a private vehicle no need to stop at check posts if going out of state.
regarding preparing your car for a trip - one week prior to your trip give your car for a check up at your maruti service centre. the coolant, the engine oil level has to be topped up. the brake fluid level had to optimal. the fan belt has to be checked, the battery water has to be topped up, the wind shield cleaner fluid level has to be topped up.check the wiper blades to be sure that its wiping the windshield adequately if not better change the blade,if the brake pads are worn better have it replaced. check that all the tools needed is there . check the air pressure in all wheels including the spare tyre .make a print out of all the maruti authorised service centres in you route .adequate drinking water & food can also be taken along.if you are going to places where ther ar no facilities for puncture repair, a electric / manual tyre infllator and puncture repair kit is advisable.ag route map and GPS would help a lot in saving you from getting lost,

Hi smooth rider,
My plan was to go goa via banglore-hubli
I prepared the route and it is safe to travel. I was with two of my friends but they don't prefer to drive a lot. So i will be the only driver.
Thanks for your comments

Check and re-tighten all the nuts on your alloy wheels before starting on a long journey.

The nuts on one of my alloy wheels once came loose while cruising. I became aware of this due to the rattling noise coming from the wheel. When I stopped to see what was wrong with the wheel I was aghast to find that all the nuts on the wheel had loosened by themselves. For some reason this seems to be a common problem in alloy wheels.

Top Bottom