Timing Missed

Thread Starter #1
Hello everybody. Yesterday i started my car and suddenly some little noise camed from engine but i ignored it and moved car but after 4 to 5 seconds the noise increased and car engined stalled and didnt started at all. Ok now car is at service centre and they said that water pump jammed and the timing belt belt worned out because of it. Further he said that due to all this timing was missed and the engine stalled. So i asked him if pistons and valves had collide or not and the answer was no.he said due to hydraulics tappets even if timing is missed ,piston and valves collusion doesnt happens when timing is missed. So here i want to ask is it really true that hydraulic tappets does some adjustments so that piston and valves dont collide ??[confused]. Till now i didnt even knew that indica is having hydraulic tappets. They also did compression test and said it was ok but still i am having doubt about pistons and valves remaining safe even after miss timing.never heard something that hydraulic tappets make some adjustments so that pistons and valves dont touch eachother. Waiting for some experts advise.

Thread Starter #2
No replies.? Ok i got the car from service centre one week ago and its working fine. All they did is fixed new water pump, 8 rff and hla, a new fuel injector and new timing belt. Car is running smooth like before but still m having doubt whether everything is good inside the engine beccause timing was missed and no one knows if pistons and valves collide or not. The service centre guys only opened the tappet cover and did some fixing. They didnt opened the head and inspected pistons and valves and that is why i am having doubt. M loosing confidence in this engine and always in tension while driving, what if engine breaks down somewhere. Engine is running fine but who knows if the piston has crack somwhere and breaks while driving.[frustration]

Not an expert in this stuff sir hence didn't comment.
But I think if piston had an issue , obviously , the noise and symptoms can be easily diagnosed by service staffs who may be familiar with same, so trust your ride.
No worries, drive safe.

Sorry missed this thread
No an expert but have faced the same situation on relatives Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI.
The car switched off in the middle of the road and cranking never made it start.
Towed to trusted FNG and on dismantling found the timing belt has lost a majority of its teeth thanks to broken water pump pulley.
Remove head cover and checked for bent valves luckily nothing happened.
Replaced the whole timing kit and put the new water pump and car stills run without any issue

So it's possible that your car is fine since the valves and piston never made contact lucky you.
I can understand that you have done a fair bit of internet reading which is causing you to worry about bent valves. But I have experienced it firsthand and came out of it without huge damage

It's not a concern really. There is nothing to worry if your engine sounds okay and no white smoke from exhaust. If you have damaged pistons and valves, there will be oil slipping through and escapes as smoke from exhaust.
If you experience the car to be pulling same as before, drive with no worries. Nothing will happen.

Top Bottom