Throttle Body Cleaning: Is It Necessary?

Thread Starter #1
Throttle body cleaning - This job has always been giving me a thought for sometime , as my car is nearing 30k mark. I have felt small drop in mileage , which I suspect with Spark Plugs , but one of my friend told me , throttle body cleaning can be done (Being mechanical engineer+Auto geek) , he does it by his own method , but as i don't wanna risk my ride , thought of consulting here.

1. TBC ensures that residual carbon build up is cleared off. In the age of electronic throttle body control , how to ensure whether ride requires TBC?

2. Some say if done without dismantling , it can prove more cons than pros (Some service centre simply spray off TBC liquid foam , in the throttle manifold setup , which makes carbon to flush inside rather than outside, if it had been done dismantled. The entire process takes 3 hours , which service centre without dismantling , does the job in 15min. Can technical experts comment on this?

3. Is there a notable difference post cleaning ?
4.Expected cost (Maruti app says 195/-) - I doubt its just the cleaning solvent cost , not the labour involved or maybe they simply spray without dismantling.

I feel only if there's any notable difference , there is a need to do it.
In my MPFI, Wagon R , I hadn't done this job till 50k km , and we had sold it post 50k , same with this ride also , so I just wanna clear these doubts.

(Moderators, I had checked the forum , hadn't seen any thread on this name , if i had missed it by chance, kindly forgive , and merge this )

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
You can use spray to clean every 10k kms and take the assembly out and clean every 30-40k or when you feel car is rough at idle or you face problem with acceleration.

Recently I got the throttle body removed and cleaned (verna's)
All the gunk fell out which otherwise would have entered wherever it goes inside the engine if I used the can.

Get it done from a good mechanic and there should not be any issues.

Attachments

I have got the throttle body cleaned only at 75k kms mark on my MPFI Zen.
Took it to my fng who removed the assembly and cleaned it.
Didn't find much difference in performance but might be a good preventive maintenance since excess carbon might get stuck to IACV and create issues down the line.

Thread Starter #5
@Mr.Allhyundaicars , Sir , had you felt any difference in performance ?
Mr.Vishak is also having the same opinion as one of my another friend , who told the same that he didn't find any difference in performance.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Just like vishak said it's just a preventive maintenance. You can either get it cleaned regularly or wait for a problem to crop up since TBC is a part of regular maintenance.
In my experience don't get the spark plugs changed too early. Just get them cleaned at every service.

I paid 600rs for oil , oil filter , air filter change , removal of spark plugs , throttle body cleaning and removal of injector. So about 150rs for the throttle body.

Throttle body cleaning is a simple procedure. It's better to do every 30 to 40k kms on petrol cars. You may not experience significant difference unless your throttle body is clogged with deposits.
I did it on my Fiesta at 90000 kms that has electronic throttle body.

Thread Starter #8
@Mr.Allhyundaicars - MASS recommends spark plug change at PMS40/40k service

@F4frewin , I will ask ASS at next service . Only issue my friend found at ASS is , there are lot of trainees , and these jobs shouldn't be done by them , as these are crucial components, and can prematurely wear if work not done properly.

Top Bottom