The What Car Thread - Helping You Choose The Right Car!

Re: Audi Brings Q3 at Competitive Pricing of Rs.26.2 Lakhs

i have seen many buy a second sale of such cars for snob value, which they sell it again after a year and do not lose risking a lot on depreciation. [;)]

5) ME - I know the new part is an emotional factor but cant some one instead go for a 6000 km done which when new was 65 Lakhs E class for 38 lakhs odd instead (1yr old)?
38L for 6k E Class ? If its diesel, let me know the details please.
I assume it is E350 CDI Avantgarde but 65L is too high still.

Last edited:

i have seen many buy a second sale of such cars for snob value, which they sell it again after a year and do not lose risking a lot on depreciation. [;)]
Ya i have seen people do these mostly with SuperBikes,but in luxury cars unless its something like an AudiQ7 i really dont think people make a profit or break even when they sell it.
38L for 6k E Class ? If its diesel, let me know the details please.
I assume it is E350 CDI Avantgarde but 65L is too high still.
I am from Bangalore,our taxes are the highest.An Eclass belonging to a family friend with glass roof etc is at 71 odd on road here.There are many such cars for sale just need to know some one in the showroom .Some time ago there was a 8 month old Gl class which is around 95 lakhs when new for 60 Lakhs which again could be negotiated. But i have noticed this trend mostly with Mercs.
When it comes to Bmw's you see rock bottom prices only when it has an accident history,in one case a yr old 7series with rear end collision for 23 as insurance company was getting rid of it as repairs were expensive.

Sometimes i am really temped to buy such used cars (regardless it being a petrol or diesel) & modify it.but parts prices are scary,but there is always ebay [:)]

Ya i have seen people do these mostly with SuperBikes,but in luxury cars unless its something like an AudiQ7 i really dont think people make a profit or break even when they sell it.
First, such premium cars are bought for depreciation & love for cars.
If one can easily afford such cars, it doesn't make much difference for the resale value. Forget that, I don't think of resale value even when buying bike, let alone our cars. Infact, most of the cars which we have in our circle are those who may not fetch high resale value. One was tata xenon !! But that guy enjoyed it to fullest, paisa vasool.

Buddy, a GF/wife who spends less doesn't make her good. You need to look at complete character, same is case with car. [angel]

BTW, Audi Q7 has poor resale value, & many people hardly use it on daily basis. And I have seen Mercs which clock 20k+/year & after 2.5 yrs, it is sold off, not because of age but running of around 50-60k kms.

I am from Bangalore,our taxes are the highest.An Eclass belonging to a family friend with glass roof etc is at 71 odd on road here.There are many such cars for sale just need to know some one in the showroom .Some time ago there was a 8 month old Gl class which is around 95 lakhs when new for 60 Lakhs which again could be negotiated. But i have noticed this trend mostly with Mercs.
Thats very expensive, still I bet it has to be E350 CDI Avantgarde. Its too expensive still in KA it means. How about buying car from MH or GA ?

When it comes to Bmw's you see rock bottom prices only when it has an accident history,in one case a yr old 7series with rear end collision for 23 as insurance company was getting rid of it as repairs were expensive.
Not really, infact I have seen BMW M5 for around 38L [lol] at resale BMW showroom at Shivajinagar of Bavaria motors. I had mentioned this somewhere else too.

Sometimes i am really temped to buy such used cars (regardless it being a petrol or diesel) & modify it.but parts prices are scary,but there is always ebay
Never buy used premium/luxury cars unless it is company owned.
And I never like buying used car in anycase. What's the use of marrying multiple divorced super model ? [lol]

First, such premium cars are bought for depreciation & love for cars.
If one can easily afford such cars, it doesn't make much difference for the resale value. Forget that, I don't think of resale value even when buying bike, let alone our cars. Infact, most of the cars which we have in our circle are those who may not fetch high resale value. One was tata xenon !! But that guy enjoyed it to fullest, paisa vasool.
I was talking about a person who buys the car second hand,not about brand new ones(read "superbads" quote).The family friend changes his car every year,he drives it fast but maintains it clean,pretty obvious resale is not an issue.
And when some one buys such a second hand car its cos of the bang for the buck along with glamour mentality,pretty obvious in most cases such a person values his money.

Thats very expensive, still I bet it has to be E350 CDI Avantgarde. Its too expensive still in KA it means. How about buying car from MH or GA ?
Well PY regs are popular here in Bangalore but cops do crack down on them,i have heard of road tax amounts about PY which makes one faint.
But such cars are used in rural areas in Karnataka than in Bangalore city.I have been offered alot of AP cars though,they have good bargain prices.

Never buy used premium/luxury cars unless it is company owned.
I dont think that is true as early in the morning i have seen company driven 5 series drifting & cornering one after the other,i saw 4 of them all brand new driving like this in circles around the cricket stadium.So its all about doing a back ground check, I have a friend who has a A8(1.28 cr on road) just so it sits outside his house along with the rest of the line up to satisfy his ego. You will be surprised to see how many such cars you find around here.They usually take it out for a causal drive for a morning walk at the park or to visit a marriage, etc.

thanks for interesting and informative read. It is very difficult question for sure. Any car is a trouble, to find a balance between bad things and good things, that hard job.

I own Thar CRDE AC .. some small issues here and there, bat the feel of joy driving Thar is so great. I do not remember when I was that much happy with new cars. Perhaps only when I bought my first car Nissan Bluebird.

I was looking for second hand Mercedes C class disel recently in Pune, there was few quite good and fresh in range of 18-31L. But finally I went and booked new Skoda Rapid Elegance. I drive on highways a lot and killing Merc on Indian roads just does not feel right. Rapid for 10.5L on road with great mileage, performance and ride quality, seems like good choice. Skoda bad service not scaring me.

By the way Merc quality is something everyone have to test on your back or neck. I drove once Merc 350 at winter in Russia on highway between Moscow and St Petersburg and cardan axle broke into two pieces on very high speed. Thanks God I was able to stop. USD 1000 too replace. Never heard of such surprise on any other sedan.

thanks for interesting and informative read. It is very difficult question for sure. Any car is a trouble, to find a balance between bad things and good things, that hard job.
True point there, every car has it own way of likes and dislikes, we are helpless there.

I own Thar CRDE AC .some small issues here and there, bat the feel of joy driving Thar is so great. I do not remember when I was that much happy with new cars. Perhaps only when I bought my first car Nissan Bluebird.
Wow great, how about sharing an ownership review on the same, just a small yet weird question, will the Thar be nice for a seven seater? Is it too bumpy to travel in the side seats like what we hear or read in the reviews? We are looking for a 5+ seater though we are only 4 people, my father liked the Thar very much for the seating position. Please reply.

Well PY regs are popular here in Bangalore but cops do crack down on them,i have heard of road tax amounts about PY which makes one faint.
But such cars are used in rural areas in Karnataka than in Bangalore city.I have been offered alot of AP cars though,they have good bargain prices.
Since i told you about PY reg cars just read this article from 2011,our taxes are higher now than mentioned in this article! So one can buy a used PY reg luxury car at throw away price if you are willing to bend the rules! But gives you a hint why so many luxury/sports cars are spotted in Pondy especially around the RTO areas.
Vehicle registration charges, a large component of which is road tax, are nominal in Pondicherry compared to the state and virtually every luxury vehicle which rolls out of a Jaguar, Range Rover, BMW, Bentley, Mercedes or Audi showroom, bears a PY registration. On a monthly average, Bangalore market alone devours as many as 80 high-end cars, each of which cost anywhere between Rs 36 lakh and Rs 2 crore, but these cars are registered in Pondicherry.

It is illegal to use a vehicle registered in another state for more than 30 days on city roads, but the owners of these vehicles have nothing to fear as the traffic police rarely flag them down to check documents, unlike a small or mid-segment car with a non-Karnataka registration.

It’s a win-win situation for these moneybags as they end up saving anywhere from Rs 6 lakh to Rs 36 lakh on a new vehicle. For instance, a person buying a BMW X6 (50i) SUV, which costs about Rs 1 crore, needs to pay a vehicle registration tax of only Rs 75,000 in Pondicherry. If the same vehicle were to be registered in any RTO in Karnataka, the owner would have to shell out 18 per cent in tax, plus a cess of 11.5 per cent on the tax. This would work out to more than Rs 19 lakh.

What’s more, Pondicherry offers other ‘bargains’ too. If one wants a fancy number in Karnataka, RTOs charge a fee ranging from Rs 25,000 to Rs 75,000. But in Pondicherry, the fee amounts to no more than Rs 2,500.

While Karnataka levies the highest registration tax among states in the country, Pondicherry’s tax structure is the lowest.
The Union Territory follows a slab structure: Rs 40,000 for a vehicle which costs up to Rs 10 lakh; Rs 50,000 for vehicles priced between Rs 10 lakh and 50 lakh; and Rs 75,000 for any vehicle which costs more than Rs 50 lakh.

In Karnataka, taxes are charged as a percentage of the unit cost. For a vehicle costing up to Rs 5 lakh, the tax is 13 per cent; 14 per cent for a vehicle costing up to Rs 10 lakh; 17 per cent for vehicles costing between Rs 11 and 20 lakh; and 18 per cent on vehicles which cost more than Rs 20 lakh. This is apart from the cess of 11.5 per cent.

In other states, registration charges are between 10 per cent and 14 per cent. Dealers admit the high tax structure in the state is literally driving owners to Pondicherry. A person buying a lower-end Mercedes ends up paying Rs 6.5 lakh in tax in Karnataka. The same vehicle can be registered at a throwaway Rs 50,000 in Pondicherry - with a fancy number thrown in.

“There are some people, especially corporates, who are conscious of the law and prefer to register their cars in Karnataka to avoid harassment at the hands of RTO authorities and traffic police,” a dealer said. “But most prefer to have their vehicle registered in Pondicherry.”

Syed Shafi Ahmed, an RTO, clarified: “As per the Motor Vehicles Act and Karnataka Taxation acts, it is illegal. According to rules, non-transport vehicles from other states can ply on roads in the state for a period of one month. If the vehicle is in the state for a longer time than that, the owner has to get it registered here. The onus is on the owner to prove that the vehicle is in the state for not more than 30 days. They can do this by showing a fuel bill issued in another state indicating the date.

“If the date is within 30 days, they will not be asked further questions. If RTO authorities find a vehicle which is here for months, it will be seized and given to the owner only after he or she pays road tax here.” Ahmed said that the rule is being uniformly applied, regardless of the cost of the vehicle, but those in the know claim otherwise.

“In spite of the application of the law, luxury vehicles with Pondicherry registration numbers are flourishing in Bangalore,” a source said. “Let the authorities go to high-end car dealers and examine the records. It will clearly indicate that buyers, who are income tax assessees in Bangalore, are registering their vehicles in Pondicherry.”
So now you can imagine how much tax the Aventador owner must have paid for his Lambo!. Imagine the diff in comparison to a PY Reg!

Last edited:
Thar is great car for city, mountains, sands, highways it will last and last, what anything else, any one can ask from car which cost 7L.

it can easy and comfortably accommodate 4 people. I changed bumpers from Bindra in Delhi and front grill. It improved aero dynamics on hi speed a lot. By the way, best bumper for Thar so far I've seen. Ride is bumpy on new suspension and improve after 2-3K kms, also I adjusted torsion axles and it rises front little bit. It increased suspension travel and decreased bumping significantly. But, it is a short car, so it have be a bumpy, for example Mitsubishi Pajero 3 doors, also shorter then 5 doors and ride is quite bumpy as well.

For back seats I made a steel trunk and fixed it between the seats. On top placed foam mat. Perfect seat and kids and wife, also they can sleep on long drives. Great storage space too. Entrance from front doors not a problem, take your shoes off and feel like at home. I will make a thread with pictures. Not to hijack another thread.

Last edited:
Thar is great car for city, mountains, sands, highways it will last and last, what anything else, any one can ask from car which cost 7L.

it can easy and comfortably accommodate 4 people. I changed bumpers from Bindra in Delhi and front grill. It improved aero dynamics on hi speed a lot. By the way, best bumper for Thar so far I've seen. Ride is bumpy on new suspension and improve after 2-3K kms, also I adjusted torsion axles and it rises front little bit. It increased suspension travel and decreased bumping significantly. But, it is a short car, so it have be a bumpy, for example Mitsubishi Pajero 3 doors, also shorter then 5 doors and ride is quite bumpy as well.

For back seats I made a steel trunk and fixed it between the seats. On top placed foam mat. Perfect seat and kids and wife, also they can sleep on long drives. Great storage space too. Entrance from front doors not a problem, take your shoes off and feel like at home. I will make a thread with pictures. Not to hijack another thread.
Thank you for the explanation Buddy[thumbsup], this post has brought some confidence in me to buy the Thar, because i'm really in love with it, please do post pics.

I'll be starting a thread on my buying decision soon, please do help me out as a Thar owner will you?

you will not regret buying Thar, that car made for real world. Not so long time ago, bike was not able to stop on bridge and do not have space to maneuver. So it bumped directly into my Thar's rear bumper. That was fun, I want be laughing all the way back home, if it happens with any other car.

in attached file Thar on SH79 after all night drive from Delhi to Pune,

Attachments

Last edited:
Uh just stumbled upon an used Tavera LT 2.5 Model.I really need a suggestion from you people.............
Brother,
Old model tavera, 86000kms done to your 2010 alto?
If the purpose is strictly on personal one then do not go for it,even qualis is a better option even if it has done a 200000kms.

Brother,
Old model tavera, 86000kms done to your 2010 alto?
If the purpose is strictly on personal one then do not go for it,even qualis is a better option even if it has done a 200000kms.
Somehow, we did not like the car and i was quite skeptical that the car had run ony 86k mark being 04 model and 2nd owner, though the clutch, body and electricals did not show age, i was somewhat dissatified. so we are planning for Quanto/Beat/Thar.

Excellent info Vipul. [clap]

And thanks for explaining the cross-over concept of Aria which TATA didn't care to explain. Masses are assuming it to be a Innova rival in the market.

Top Bottom