The Value of ‘L’ Board on Learner’s Cars

I have seen few peoples who keep "L" on their vehicles until they get permanent license. The day it falls in their hand then they swiftly remove these boards. The feel of getting permanent license make them experience as they are 1 feet above ground [:)]

Inferiority complex and the fact that fellow drivers tend to harass drivers with L board could be the reasons for removing the sticker

I have seen few peoples who keep "L" on their vehicles until they get permanent license. The day it falls in their hand then they swiftly remove these boards. The feel of getting permanent license make them experience as they are 1 feet above ground [:)]
I kept my L sticker even after getting permanent license for quite a long days.But I can tell you during this period professional drivers used to overtake mine for no reason even dangerously. Perhaps going behind a L plated car hurts their superiority complex/vanity.[:D]

When you have an L sticker on your car,you are not suppose to overtake any other vehicles .So,if you have a license ,it is better to remove the sticker as the people driving behind you need not be too cautious.

After reading this thread I'm confused on whether I should put a L board in my Ecosports on Day 1 of delivery and take it out of the showroom or to wait for couple of days and then do it or not do it at all. I live in Bangalore BTW and I have seen L board drivers get treated horribly in the traffic. Even today morning a poor fellow got his vehicle stalled in the signal and the resulting horn cacophony was unbelievable. My situation is the same.

'L' Board is actually for those who is learning to drive; Once you get the driving license you are not a learner anymore. So I think it is not a good deed to use 'L' boards even after getting a driving license. IMO we need to implement a 'Beginner' or 'New Driver' board as the 'L', for those who hold a driving license.

'L' Board is actually for those who is learning to drive; Once you get the driving license you are not a learner anymore. So I think it is not a good deed to use 'L' boards even after getting a driving license. IMO we need to implement a 'Beginner' or 'New Driver' board as the 'L', for those who hold a driving license.
I have a valid DL. But the test was a sham and the driving school instructor, overrode my controls and didn't let me drive at all during the test [Ullal RTO, Bangalore - Completely sensor embedded tracks]

As a result, I'm not very confident on bumper to bumper traffic and keep making silly mistakes and panic quickly. I'm trying to rectify this by taking additional classes in Maruti Driving School. I can see that I'm improving. But still I feel that it is Ok to wear a L board in my car till I'm more confident.

Am I wrong in this?

This is the biggest problem we are facing. Most of the people who holds a DL are not well trained to drive on the road. This is due to the lack of proper assessment tests and irresponsibility of the driving instructors, all that they do is just teaching us the basics which is required to pass the driving test.

Btw, I think you have no other way than using an 'L' board to alert other drivers that you are a beginner.

Drive safe dear friend. I wish you will be confident to drive soon.

After reading this thread I'm confused on whether I should put a L board in my Ecosports on Day 1 of delivery and take it out of the showroom or to wait for couple of days and then do it or not do it at all. I live in Bangalore BTW and I have seen L board drivers get treated horribly in the traffic. Even today morning a poor fellow got his vehicle stalled in the signal and the resulting horn cacophony was unbelievable. My situation is the same.
Not Having a 'L' sign will not help you anyways. So its better to put 'L' if you are learner. And in Bangalore even experienced drivers are treated at par with beginners [lol]. If you ever stall on road, just take your own time to get back in business. Ignore all the chaos that may have been created behind you.

This is the biggest problem we are facing. Most of the people who holds a DL are not well trained to drive on the road. This is due to the lack of proper assessment tests and irresponsibility of the driving instructors, all that they do is just teaching us the basics which is required to pass the driving test.
I think learning to drive is not a few days job. It requires a lot of practice. In most of the driving schools money is taken not for imparting driving techniques but for obtaining driving [permanent] license.
Maruti driving school offered me 150 Km or 15 hrs driving time for beginners and they take separate charge for DL. If you wish to learn parking and control techniques of a car on slope you have take another so called advanced course. But is not enough to encounter traffic on Indian roads. So for practicing one needs to drive his own vehicle. The L board is used during this period to get softer treatment from other drivers. I think there is no harm in it.[:D]

Most of the driving schools in India do only teach how to move the car instead of how to drive. Even after driving for thousand of kilometers you cannot say that you are better driver. Every drive will teach you something at the end of day.

Parking is different in different places hence teaching parking at driving school won't help you as this is ongoing process and you have to keep learning it going ahead. So i will recommend to keep "L" board on your car until you have confidence on below two things,

1) You will not bang your car anywhere
2) You have overcome stalling problem

I have put "L" Sticker on my car as my wife had started learning the Driving. She has got Driving License now but am not that much confident to allow her to drive without the "L" sticker.
But what I am sad to share is people behave like maniacs and overtake and honk unnecessarily even when am driving, when they see the "L" sticker. I cant imagine the situation of wife driving without "L" sticker.[frustration]
Please suggest what should I do, shall I retain the sticker still wife is confident or remove it to avoid all these nuisances.[confused]

But what I am sad to share is people behave like maniacs and overtake and honk unnecessarily even when am driving, when they see the "L" sticker. I cant imagine the situation of wife driving without "L" sticker.[frustration]
Please suggest what should I do, shall I retain the sticker still wife is confident or remove it to avoid all these nuisances.[confused]
This is common experience. Professional drivers always do this when they see any L plated car. They can easily identify whether the car is driven by owner or paid driver. In my case a number of professional driver drove my car with L plate on,but in those case the disturbances are non existent. Keep L plate even after disturbances unless you gain enough confidence.

Top Bottom