The Urban Flavour: Ford Ecosport vs Renault Duster

Ecosport or Duster

• Total voters
We are not in a country of people who only look on looks we are people who look on maintenance and FE. How many of you agree to this point?
I agree, but for me safety is the first thing I check in a car. I avoid travelling in any taxi. Never seen any taxi with airbags (Even Innova) yes then comes all other things you mentioned. This is where Ecosport kills the competition.

Re: The Urban Flavour:Ford Ecosport vs Renault Duster

Duster seems like a total rip off , looking at what both car offer in their respective price range .

Surprisingly the ES is more expensive in brazil then the duster , but yet sells more . [surprise]
Hope the competitive pricing of ES in India is not just for the initial market capture from Duster+Quanto & to flood the roads with ES everywhere & create a momentum, in which case there will be an even more bigger mad rush to ES in the coming days!! [clap]

Re: The Urban Flavour:Ford Ecosport vs Renault Duster

Hope the competitive pricing of ES in India is not just for the initial market capture from Duster+Quanto & to flood the roads with ES everywhere & create a momentum, in which case there will be an even more bigger mad rush to ES in the coming days!! [clap]
+100 well said .

Car makers by the end of the day can get greedy anytime . So that needs to be seen . Also how ford handles the rush in their a.s.s.c needs to be also seen .

If things go well then ES for sure will lay good foundation regarding brand perception of ford among masses and which in return eventually will help their other forthcoming attractions which the Indian public may receive with open arms .

Products like both ES and duster prove that how one single product can make the car maker suddenly very prominent in the market .

IMO the only big advantage duster have over Ecosport is the size, and may be handling, but rather Ecosport at that price range is the winner.

Imagine a Ecosport at 6.6L on road plonk a sexy looking alloys worth 15-20k and you have dashing looking wanna be UV at your hands.

Thread Starter #36
Ecosport vs Duster by Autocar India:Ford EcoSport vs Renault Duster | Feature | Autocar India

PERFORMANCE:

Renault’s Duster is powered by the familiar 1.5 dCi engine we’ve seen in the Logan, Fluence, Scala and Pulse, as well as a number of Nissans, and in the top-of-the-line variant we are testing, it produces 108bhp. The Duster takes a bit longer than the EcoSport to spool up its turbo, so when you cross the 2000rpm mark, there’s surge in power that can be a bit irritating in stop-and-go traffic. However, if you keep your foot down on the throttle pedal, it is the Duster that is the more rewarding car to drive. The engine builds revs quickly and the Duster does the 0-100kph sprint quicker (11.88sec versus the Ford’s 13.72sec). It’s on an open road that you can enjoy the Renault the most and it is a very good cruiser too. But in the city, the combination of an unprogressive, heavy clutch and turbo lag spoils the fun.
On the contrary, the EcoSport’s 89bhp, 1.5-litre turbo-diesel engine is at its best in traffic. This has a lot to do with this motor’s ready responses and instant delivery of power at low to medium engine speeds. The Ford is happy to amble around in third gear, even at speeds as low as 30-40kph, and tap the accelerator and it picks up the pace quite rapidly. This is in contrast to the Duster, which needs you to execute almost twice as many downshifts. It’s also got the lighter clutch of the two and its gearbox has a nice mechanical feel to it.

However, the EcoSport tends to run out of breath on the highway, particularly when you have to execute a high-speed overtaking move.

The Ford is by far the more refined car, but this is down to the sound insulation rather than the engine. Where the Duster’s motor has a sharp clatter at idle and feels gruff when worked hard, the EcoSport’s motor feels composed. It only gets noisy closer to the redline, and for the most part, it sounds and feels almost petrol-like on the move.
Ride and Handling:
Both cars really impress in this department. Despite their tall stance with high ground clearance, they are as easy to drive as your average hatchback. The Duster’s suspension feels very absorbent over potholes and large speed breakers alike. The thick tyres also do their bit to cushion you from surface blemishes. What’s also nice is that the Duster maintains its poise over big bumps, which can catch the EcoSport out. Straight-line stability is also really good, but then the Ford doesn’t disappoint on this count either.

The EcoSport delivers a somewhat pliant ride too, but it does ‘thunk’ over big bumps and there is a constant pitter-patter over broken roads. The Ford doesn’t iron out surface imperfections quite as well as the Duster. However, the EcoSport is more fun to drive. The stiff suspension setup lends it a certain agility, it’s got the better-weighted steering and, thanks to its good body control, it’s really entertaining to drive on twisting roads.

By contrast, the Duster’s soft suspension makes it roll quite a bit in corners, but it always feels in control and you get good feedback (sometimes too much) from the steering. Still, for day-to-day city driving, you’ll like the lightness of the EcoSport’s steering, while the Duster requires more effort to steer.

After reading this comparo,my respect for Duster specially when it comes to ride/handling/performance has gone up by few notches.It seems that mechanically it actually maybe a better car than the Ford.

However,the looks,interiors and on top of that, the pricing of Ecosport absolutely annihilates Duster,just no two ways about it.

THE X-OVER

I just want to say recalls done by ford was not free. You must know this. They charge for consumables like oil and fluid for steering used. This is realy bad. This was their fault and they should not charge even for consumables. No hard feeling brother 60000 customers in duster even when we had beast like XUV. Let us wait and watch its reliability. You know how swift is popular globally. If there was severe braking issue sales number would not count. You can count swift sold this year.
Ok let us discuss this in new thread. Sorry guys for off post.:cool:
Look brother on a public forum there is no point in posting wrong and misleading information . If I said maruti needs to learn recall policy from ford / mahindra I say that because it was quite a famous issue . If this topic interest's you , then sure open a new thread we will discuss about this since further discussion on this will be off topic on this thread .

Maruti Suzuki Swift’s customers do not look happy any more. The company’s customer relations have not been good, especially when the customers are facing problems with their cars. Most of the Swift customers have been complaining that the brakes are not functional at times. Now, this is indeed a serious problem. The problem was faced by not one or two or three customers but by hundreds of them. So how has been the company handling this issue? Well, the company had remained complacent and had not acknowledged the fact that there is indeed some problem with the braking system

Read more at New Maruti Suzuki Swift Having Brake Issues | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Over the past several months, many owners of the new Swift have been complaining that their car doesn�t stop in bumper to bumper traffic. Maruti doesn�t agree. Will this be the first test of SIAM�s voluntary recall code?
Read more: Forbes India Magazine - The New Maruti Swift's Brakes Don't Work

NEW DELHI: Country's largest carmaker , Maruti Suzuki India is re-working the software of its popular Swift hatchback to rectify widespread customer complaints of soft braking at low speeds, but denied any 'technical recall' of the car.

Maruti has sold around 2.5 lakh new Swifts in the Indian market, so far since August 2011, when the next generation of the highly successful hatchback was launched in India. Customer's had been complaining of poor braking at low speeds leading to potential safety hazard on the road.
Maruti plans to improve brakes of its popular Swift hatchback - Economic Times.

Last edited:
IMO Duster and Ecosport's are of different era and different generation's.
And different category in the size wise and performace wise. Its not good to compare which car is good and which is bad. Both are capable vehicles in their own league. But Duster is priced too costly than other's.

Look brother on a public forum there is no point in posting wrong and misleading information . If I said maruti needs to learn recall policy from ford / mahindra I say that because it was quite a famous issue . If this topic interest's you , then sure open a new thread we will discuss about this since further discussion on this will be off topic on this thread .
Brother I did not say swift did not have a braking issue it was not so severe. And I am not wording wrong in a public form please do not express me to look as a wrong teller. The braking problem was a known issue and Maruti is rectifying it for free if the customer had a complain. My team mate at office got it rectified in his 2nd service. But Ford has failed engineering which was a severe hazardous to human life. The steering in Figo and the rear twist beam in Fiesta. There is difference in the problem between swift and Ford. We are not ready to accept it.

http://www.********.com/forum/techn...-dangerous-behaviour-steering-locks-move.html

I had faced this issue many times the steering would lock. Many of my friends faced this issue too. Finaly after many write up to Ford I got my steering hose kit replaced.
I have 3 college mates who work in Production unit & Business Development here in Ford Chennai. Only because of their help I got it replaced. I hear lot of such issues from them. I accept that Maruti did not do such recalls. But as per them the issue was not severe and if some one face such issues they can get it rectified.

Maruti Swift braking problem finally fixed! Maruti recalls Swift for ECU software update | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

Read more at New Maruti Suzuki Swift Having Brake Issues | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Read more: Forbes India Magazine - The New Maruti Swift's Brakes Don't Work

Maruti plans to improve brakes of its popular Swift hatchback - Economic Times.
Moderator : If you feel this a a off topic kindly transfer this to a new thread.

. Brother I did not say swift did not have a braking issue it was not so severe. And I am not wording wrong in a public form please do not express me to look as a wrong teller. The braking problem was a known issue and Maruti is rectifying it for free if the customer had a complain. My team mate at office got it rectified in his 2nd service. But Ford has failed engineering which was a severe hazardous to human life. The steering in Figo and the rear twist beam in Fiesta. There is difference in the problem between swift and Ford. We are not ready to accept it. .
I never said you are misleading or posting wrong info , infact It was directed to myself , since I had said about the recall issue , hence said there is no point in posting wrong info and provided you the links to read incase you or some think iam posting wrong info .

And how come braking issue in maruti swift is not serious issue , journalist making issue owners making issue about it is not serious ?

Hundreds of the customers have been complaining about the faulty braking system but little response did they get from the company officials. Emails upon emails have fetched nothing to the distressed customers. Many moved to the consumer courts but saw no success. How can the India’s biggest automobile brand not take any action? Customers have been waiting for weeks now to figure out the problem with their braking system. Even threats did not move the company an inch into action.
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/marut...wift-having-brake-issues/#pM8xHSB6Lzw3vxbk.99
According to them this problem has cropped up only in a few models. Will the company do something about this or leave the customers at their distress? Will there be a recall? Are the authorities listening? Time for the SIAM voluntary recall to come into play!

Ford did a recall , maruti dint infact was even never admiting the car has isuues , this is the point . Again ford recall point was brought by you and not me in this thread hope you remember that , hence the example of maruti was given .

Mahindra , Toyota , Nissan , Renault , Honda all do a recall , maruti dint do inspite of the problem is a issue .

Online complaints force Maruti to fix Swift braking problems | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

The Internet not only managed to get consumers facing the same braking problem to come together and share the nature of the problem, it also got them to put in a joint effort and force Maruti to fix this problem. Community members began to speak with each other through forums and highlight the issue. While it’s good on Maruti’s part to come up with a fix, the company is still not officially acknowledging the issue.

buddy And it seems your dealer must have cheated you by taking money from you for this official recall which was actually free so please don't blame ford India , kindly read here .

Ford India is recalling identified batches of Figo and the Classic that were built between September 2010 and February 2011. As a precautionary measure, Ford is also inspecting all the units of both the models built between January 2008 and December 2010. Ford India will replace the PAS hose and and fix the suspension issue for all the Figo's and the Classic's that stay affected by the said recall, free of cost of course.
http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail/Ford-Figo-and-Ford-Classic-recalled-in-India/2846

And how does a engineering issue for " figo " which ford already did a official recall for certain batches has to do with people thinking ES better then duster ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #43
@bharathj85

Even though there is indeed price difference between the two, yet both are primarily targeting the same chunk of urban soft-roader customers.

Remember XUV500 was also 3-4 lacs cheaper than the Aria,but yet we compared those two cause their target was the same very customer.

PS:Heard that Nissan is also going to launch Duster based SUV soon.[:)]

I never said you are misleading or posting wrong info , infact It was directed to myself , since I had said about the recall issue , hence said there is no point in posting wrong info and provided you the links to read incase you or some think iam posting wrong info .
Please do not justfy for everything. It is not a fist a fight here because Ford is your Company and Maruti mine :lol!: We are here to help others and get help overself. I am motivated a lot by this form so I do spend lot of time in this fourm.

And how come braking issue in maruti swift is not serious issue , journalist making issue owners making issue about it is not serious ?
Because only at low RPMS this issue was raised by some customers and was not as hazardous as leaking hose of figo and breaking twist beam of Fiesta.. And maruti has so called fix for it through a ECU patch updates. How many of you know if your car ECU updates are done during your services? This is a secert behind the service center hoods. Even today leading experts from NDTV, CNBC, AutoCar, Wheelocity, all recommend going for Swift when comes for hatchback.

New Maruti Suzuki Swift Having Brake Issues | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Ford did a recall , maruti dint infact was even never admiting the car has isuues , this is the point . Again ford recall point was brought by you and not me in this thread hope you remember that , hence the example of maruti was given .

Mahindra , Toyota , Nissan , Renault , Honda all do a recall , maruti dint do inspite of the problem is a issue .

Yes that was a real flaw from Maruti. Instead they started calling customers to visit their centers to do a fix. If it was a recall they should re do a ARAI certification again.
Do you know ford has silently done such updates for 2010 Figo?

Online complaints force Maruti to fix Swift braking problems | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

And how does a engineering issue for " figo " which ford already did a official recall for certain batches has to do with people thinking ES better then duster ?
You were talking about reliablity of Ford so I gave an example of figo and fiesta. I can say ES is a killer as of todays market but one word I said is we have to wait and watch how reliable it is. This was the only statement I made. Giving car in killer price (cheap than you imagine) and later filling the loss by high maintenance is today market tragedy (I mean they make money in long term maintenance to compensate the loss). It is something we have to think about.

You were talking about reliablity of Ford so I gave an example of figo and fiesta. I can say ES is a killer as of todays market but one word I said is we have to wait and watch how reliable it is. This was the only statement I made. Giving car in killer price (cheap than you imagine) and later filling the loss by high maintenance is today market tragedy (I mean they make money in long term maintenance to compensate the loss). It is something we have to think about.
Ford high maintenance cost is old story and thats gone with the legendary ford ikon, from fiesta classic to even the new fiesta maintenance cost is on par or lesser than MS.
am using ford figo and i the total amount i spent on figo maintenance for all services i did till date never exceeded 3xxx rupees which was including oil and other fluid changes.
my car is 2 and half years old and last month one of the electrical sensor gone kaupt and warning lamp keep blinking .... ford replaced it free of cost.. remember electrical components are not covered even under extended warranty
i cant expect the same treatment MS if i had a swift in out of warranty

for every car maker the devil[evil] is in the form of few of their greedy dealers
luckily i got a dealer who is toooo good

ES is released almost 1 year back internationally and their was no reliability issue report i heard till now from international market such as mexico
i know the next question from you would be the international product made in india is different from the product the same factory made for india... But if it comes to engine or core parts they dont made changes[may be tune it for indian condition] according to country specific and regarding ecosport body or external parts on interior materials quality .. what our TAI review said was true

Anyway lets close our argument and will reopen it after a year to see how is it and who is rite

Top Bottom