The SUV Dilemma

kkn13

Suspended
XUV is a good vehicle but with all the seats up there is no boot space.
Hexa the vehicle has no problems but Tata's Servicing is very bad
Safari Storme Has a very comfortable ride quality but Tata's Servicing.
I wouldnt expect much boot space with seats up in either of these cars
7 seater is a psuedo term for these cars in a way

If you are concerned about servicing, Toyota is a no-brainer imho. service costs and experience is good
Mahindra is a love-hate once again, some places good servicing, some places bad servicing, so check that out first

Thread Starter #48
Took a test drive of The XUV 5OO really liked it. The car which came for the test drive was driven 50,000 kms and there was no rattles and squeaks.

Check out Tata Hexa at the dealerships.Here in Kolkata one salesman called me promising to give a good offer before March 31st. But I already bought another car.

Toyota Crysta and Hilux are based on same platform and share most of the thing like the front, engine. The crash test result from EURO NCAP[for Hilux] for the variant that features similar to INDIAN market has 3 stars, whereas the safety package variant gets 5 stars.

Although safety package kind of thing is mostly not available in INDIA for car with price tag below 40 lac approx. So this means the Crysta can be considered as 3 star safe.

My interpretation and comparison may not be 100% perfect but to my understanding the Crysta is not a good deal if you compare with the XT 4x4 variant of HEXA.

With the last month news about first Hexa crash at almost 90kmph approx. all of the passenger where safe with no scratch at all and airbag got deployed with not major body damage apart from the front left wheel. So it partially proves that HEXA is VFM car.

I am not biased to TATA or TOYOTA. But since few years back TATA feels the heat of competitors quality product and service, so they started to build there reputation with quality, which results in customer benefit.

Ultimate is your decision, but safety should be on TOP priority and ESP with TCS is better to have when it comes to such huge cars.

Watch videos on YOUTUBE about ESP & TCS and then decide.

kkn13

Suspended
Toyota Crysta and Hilux are based on same platform and share most of the thing like the front, engine. The crash test result from EURO NCAP[for Hilux] for the variant that features similar to INDIAN market has 3 stars, whereas the safety package variant gets 5 stars.

Although safety package kind of thing is mostly not available in INDIA for car with price tag below 40 lac approx. So this means the Crysta can be considered as 3 star safe.

My interpretation and comparison may not be 100% perfect but to my understanding the Crysta is not a good deal if you compare with the XT 4x4 variant of HEXA.

With the last month news about first Hexa crash at almost 90kmph approx. all of the passenger where safe with no scratch at all and airbag got deployed with not major body damage apart from the front left wheel. So it partially proves that HEXA is VFM car.

I am not biased to TATA or TOYOTA. But since few years back TATA feels the heat of competitors quality product and service, so they started to build there reputation with quality, which results in customer benefit.

Ultimate is your decision, but safety should be on TOP priority and ESP with TCS is better to have when it comes to such huge cars.

Watch videos on YOUTUBE about ESP & TCS and then decide.
I dont agree at all
Until we see proper NCAP results for Hexa or even Indian Crysta, its too early to pass such judgement saying Hexa is better than Crysta, especially after Zest's disasterous zero star rating in base variant and 4 stars in a toughened variant (with airbags) of the Zest which isnt the Zest thats being produced and sold.

Also in the Hexa crash, curtain airbag wasnt deployed, I wouldnt call that safe given the extensive side damage

Also if we are gonna use such logic, then why not do Aria vs older Innova??
Innovas have been around far longer and far more in numbers too, if it was really that unsafe, explain why Aria never overtook Innova in Personal,Taxi and 5-star fleet markets
Certain variants of Crysta may be pricey but I wouldnt use that to judge the car totally

If Tata was so concerned about its customers, explain why a certain gentleman in Mumbai who bought a Discovery 4 has still not got justice 3-4 years after buying the car and having multiple near-death experiences etc with it (Im aware, Im not allowed to link so I havent)

Toyota has proven itself in the market since the first launch of the Qualis days
Tata is yet to prove itself
Companies like Ford on the other hand have given the segment a clear shake with the launch of the Endeavour and have considerably improved after sales etc

Hexa has only one concrete point going for it , the Varicor 400. Its a proven engine and has proven its worth in the Safari Storme
So Crysta and Hexa are fairly equal on the engine reliability level

Till there is no proper proof, I wouldnt pass judgement

I wish they brought 4x4 instead but then again thatd affect Fortuner sales so they wont

Last edited:
Thread Starter #56
I will have to rule out SUV'S as my wife is not comfortable driving SUV'S. She is used to driving sedans so i will have to buy a sedan[cry]. The Options are-:

Maruti Ciaz ZXI+
Volkswagen Comfortline[Petrol]

kkn13

Suspended
I will have to rule out SUV'S as my wife is not comfortable driving SUV'S. She is used to driving sedans so i will have to buy a sedan[cry]. The Options are-:

Maruti Ciaz ZXI+
Volkswagen Comfortline[Petrol]
Ciaz for all round peace of mind but fairly sedate
Vento for driving pleasure but maintenance and reliability concerns are there though much much lesser since you are buying the manual variant

Thread Starter #58
Ciaz for all round peace of mind but fairly sedate
Vento for driving pleasure but maintenance and reliability concerns are there though much much lesser since you are buying the manual variant
Took a test drive of Ciaz petrol and Vento Petrol.
Ciaz-: Ciaz is a beautiful car. It is Very comfortable. But the performance is not that great for me.

Vento-: Vento is very classy the feeling when you sit inside is awesome. The Plastic used in the interiors look built to last. Performance is superb. Handling is rock-solid. Seating- Easily can seat 2 dogs.

Volkswagen Palace Cross can give a Vento Comfortline 2017 manufactured any colour within 1-2 weeks. Which is amazing.

kkn13

Suspended
Took a test drive of Ciaz petrol and Vento Petrol.
Ciaz-: Ciaz is a beautiful car. It is Very comfortable. But the performance is not that great for me.

Vento-: Vento is very classy the feeling when you sit inside is awesome. The Plastic used in the interiors look built to last. Performance is superb. Handling is rock-solid. Seating- Easily can seat 2 dogs.
Volkswagen Palace Cross can give a Vento Comfortline 2017 manufactured any colour within 1-2 weeks. Which is amazing.
Yeah this segment is pretty confusing
None of the cars can directly compete because they have rather varied pros and cons
If you liked the Vento, just ensure the service centre is good because VW after sales is always either hit or miss depending from dealer to dealer
If the nearby dealer is good enough, go for it imho
Just avoid DSG according to me , its not made for our traffic conditions. Manual petrol should be fine
Just check reviews etc for car and dealer before going ahead

PS- I suggest S Cross 1.6 TD if possible too
its price is not far ahead and its engine is amazing
very refined too even for a diesel,build is very European and engine is Fiat 1.6 MJD
space etc will be more than C segment sedans
Otherwise theres always Vento

Last edited:
Thread Starter #60
My Wife is getting transferred to Goa so i'm buying her an Polo Trendline Petrol. Now, the budget is restricted so XUV 5OO W4 and Renault Duster is my options now.

Top Bottom