Tata Motors: The Story Of Epic Journey

Thread Starter #16
Re: The Story of Tata's Epic Journey from Trucks to Aria

Hatches can also run on diesel and
Hatches can also have a big and spacious cabin.
And why to forget that great FE Indica offered
Absolutely correct,it was Indica that created the B+segment in India,the most frugal diesel hatch it was,and since then all have literally followed suit[:D]

Thread Starter #19

Part 7 --- All Hail " THE KING"

Famous English dramatist Shakespeare once wrote: "What a piece of work is man!".So may I ask you why man is so special,well its his inquisitiveness people,his desire to explore the unexplored,his will to tame the untamed,and his journey to travel the poles,his quest to not follow others but rather make his own road..At the end of 1998 and early 1999 Tata launched India's first indigenious SUV , Tata Safari,which ever since its launch is known as " The King" by its lovers.Now lets know a little about the car shall we:

First generation

Launched in 1998 in Turbo Diesel form, the Safari had 87 PS (64 kW) power. It came with a synchromesh forward five-speed gearbox, with a 4X4 option. However, it was regarded to be grossly underpowered, and had a lot of body roll.
The new Tata Safari DiCOR (DiCOR standing for "Direct Injection Common Rail engine") is powered by a 3000 cc inline-four cylinder engine that develops 116 PS (85 kW) at 3000 rpm and 300 N·m (221 ft·lbf) of torque between 1600 and 2000 rpm. The engine is taken from the Tata 407, a truck manufactured by Tata Motors. The new engine is mated to a five-speed gearbox, with a new, sporty gear lever.

2007 revision

Tata displayed the Euro 4 compliant 2.2-litre DiCOR engine with 140 PS (103 kW) and 320 N·m (236 ft·lbf) of torque at the 2006 Bologna Motor Show. It was launched on October 5, 2007. It has some improved interior features like two-tone upholstery and leather seats. The high end version of the Safari comes with full safety features like airbags and ABS with EBD. Additional features like rear AC vents, reversing camera, DVD player with LCD screens in the front seats headrests and dimming lights too are also available as an option. Four-wheel drive options are available on EX, GX and VX variants which, uses a Borg Warner shift on the fly transfer case.
India's leading automotive portal CarWale recently did a series of off-road trails on a Tata Safari DiCOR 2.2 4×4. The only modifications done to the Safari were removal of running boards and addition 15 inch rims shod with 235/75 R 15 Radial tyres. The off-road performance of the Safari was highly praised by them
Driving impressions
The main issue with the Safari is that it is quite a heavy vehicle; it tilts the scales at 2,115 kg (4,660 lb) (kerb); adding an extra 110 kg (240 lb) for the 4WD variant. The consequence of that is though the engine specifications sound great on paper — 320 N·m (240 lb·ft) of torque at 1600 rpm — it is not a great leap in terms of outright performance. With the DiCOR engine, the 4WD Safari is substantially quicker than the Scorpio or Innova also with a lighter engine under the hood it feels more agile.

Source : WiKipedia

So folks till next time the xover brings more ,"All just hail THE KING"

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20

Part 8 ---- Stick a Boot on to a Hatch!! What an idea 'Sir Jee'[:)]

What's an idea,or better an innovation?Man's creative power, his ability to think out of box,or his ingenuity?Any wild guesses?No, let me give you an hint,"Stick a boot on to a Hatch".Now you definitely know what am I talking about.Yes I am indeed talking about India's first hatch based sedan 'Tata Indigo' which was launched way back in 2002.And voila since than we have seen Dezire,Vento,Rapid and what not!Yes I know idea is "infectious".Now lets go through entire history of this "idea":

Indigo Sedan (2002-2009)

In 2002, Tata introduced India's competitive indigenous sedan: the Indigo. Designed in-house, it is a sedan version of the Tata Indica, with which it shares a large number of parts. Launched with a Turbodiesel and Petrol engines, An intercooled 'TDI' Engine, and Dicor engines were added. A minor redesign was done in 2006 which added dual chamber headlamps and different bumpers. It was superseded by Tata Indigo Manza in 2009.
Indigo Marina (2004-2010)

The station wagon version called the Indigo Marina (called the Indigo SW in export markets) was unveiled at the New Delhi Auto Expo 2004.The various advance features embedded to Indigo Marina variants are front and rear cabin lamp with spot reading lamp, HVAC system, 4 spoke wheel, aluminum gear shift knob, power windows, body colored bumpers, roof rails, rub rails on door, full wheel covers, digital clock, retractable luggage cover, side impact beams, collapsible steering column. As of 2010, the production of the Marina has been cut back, and the vehicle is no longer readily available in most Tata dealerships.
Indigo XL (2007-present)

The Long Wheel Base Version called the Tata Indigo XL went on sale in January 2007. It is the long-wheelbase version of the Indigo sedan. It has a 200 mm (7.9 in) stretched wheelbase and a 101 hp engine.The Petrol model has MPFI 16 valve twin cam engine,whereas the diesel variant features a DICOR engine developed in-house. Some features are powered front seats (driver and passenger), rear air conditioning console with separate controls, all four power windows with auto power down function, and car phone.More to add Tata Indigo XL is also equipped with excellent high end characteristics like 32 bit microprocessor , 1396 cc , 16 valve engine, Power of 100 PS (74 kW; 99 hp) , 200 mm (7.9 in) extended wheelbase , Fuel tank capacity : 42 L (9.2 imp gal; 11.1 US gal)
Indigo CS (2008-present)

Tata launched the Tata Indigo CS at the 2008 Auto Expo in New Delhi. CS stands for compact sedan and is the world's shortest sedan. The Indigo CS is subjected to low excise duty. There are three models each in petrol and disel version. Indigo CS petrol has a 1.2 litre, 65 PS (48 kW; 64 hp), MPFI engine variant and a 1.4 litre TCIC engine for the diesel version. The Indigo CS was initially launched with the Indica Grille and Headlights, and with the Indigo Dual chamber headlights and grille in 2009. A DiCOR option was also added.
In 2010, it received a new BS-4 compliant Common rail CR4 engine and upgrades in technology class and design, under the name Indigo CS e-series.

Features:- Indigo CS is world's shortest sedan car, size of a hatchback and spaciousness of a sedan car. Beige interiors, new AC facia, reading lamp, sporty steering wheel, the instrument panel, New styled Front Grille, front and rear bumper ,Soft touch finest quality seats ,Centre Cluster & Air Conditioning Controls , Anti-glare Inner Rear View Mirror, and trunk space of 380 litres with Independent McPherson struts equipped suspension system.

• Indigo in use in the Indian Army

• Facelifted Indigo Marina

• Facelifted Indigo Marina Rear

• Indigo CS

• Indigo XL

Indigo Manza (2009-present) (2nd generation)

Tata Motors launched the Indigo Manza on 14 October 2009. The variant is based on the Tata X1 platform which was displayed by Tata Motors in its prototype form called Elegante Concept during the 2007 Geneva Motor Show. It is priced between Rs 4.8 lakhs and Rs 6.75 lakhs. The launch coincided with the phasing out of the earlier sedan version of Indigo. Four variants are the Aqua, Aura, Aura (ABS) and the Aura +. with engine options of a 1.4 liter petrol and a 1.3 liter diesel engine, shared with the Fiat Linea.
Tata Motors have confirmed that the Indigo Manza will remain as a standalone platform and will not spawn other variants,like in the previous generation.
A Facelifted version of the Manza, known as The Tata Manza Elan was launched in February 7th, 2011. It sports new looks like the Chrome inserts in Fog Lamps, Rub rails, Bumper etc. It also has the Biege n' Burgundy Dual tone interiors, Silver and Black dual tone Alloys and also, Elan comes in an Exclusive Colour of Tyrian Wine.
A limited edition Manza Elan was also launched. This model was known as the Tata Manza Elan Celebration. It had some limited edition features like Reverse Parking Sensor, Celebration Badging, Ebony black and White interior colour scheme and Leather Feel Seats. The Celebration Edition costs just Rs.15000 more than the in stock Elan
Features

Manza has some of the most luxurious features like a 2 DIN music system which supports USB, AUX and Bluetooth connectivity, driver information system, steering mounted audio controls, ABS, Dual front airbags, Alloy Wheels, colour changing tachometer needle which turns red when the car reaches to the redline, engine immobilizer and central locking based on the variants available.
Source :Wikipedia

So now you know it really was "What an idea,sir jee".Surely one can say "ingenuity thy name is Tata"[:)]

Thread Starter #21

One word, awesome, thats some superb collection you got and shared.It takes efforts to collect this all and share.Thankyou for doing it and awaiting to come more.
Thank you vijay. You meant THE XOVER or TSIVipul[evil], because really though Xover started this topic, actually its Vipul that has done the hard work and made this thread such a readable and interesting one,so Vipps you may agree with me or not,but THE X-OVER says thank you one more time.[glasses]

Last edited:

Thank you vijay. You meant THE XOVER or TSIVipul[evil], because really though Xover started this topic, actually its Vipul that has done the hard work and made this thread such a readable and interesting one,so Vipps you may agree with me or not,but THE X-OVER says thank you one more time.[glasses]
Well,ahem ahem..there is nothing like that,its just THE XOVER who thinks like that.

Now,here are the achievements of some Tata cars/SUVs in some motorsport events,its this year that Tata has entered the motor sports and has given sweep to many other competitors who were ruling but didn't had enoyugh pedigree to do so:-

Attachments

Part 8 ---- Stick a Boot on to a Hatch!! What an idea 'Sir Jee'[:)]

What's an idea,or better an innovation?Man's creative power, his ability to think out of box,or his ingenuity?Any wild guesses?No, let me give you an hint,"Stick a boot on to a Hatch".Now you definitely know what am I talking about.Yes I am indeed talking about India's first hatch based sedan 'Tata Indigo' which was launched way back in 2002.And voila since than we have seen Dezire,Vento,Rapid and what not!Yes I know idea is "infectious".Now lets go through entire history of this "idea":

Indigo CS (2008-present)

Tata launched the Tata Indigo CS at the 2008 Auto Expo in New Delhi. CS stands for compact sedan and is the world's shortest sedan. The Indigo CS is subjected to low excise duty. There are three models each in petrol and disel version. Indigo CS petrol has a 1.2 litre, 65 PS (48 kW; 64 hp), MPFI engine variant and a 1.4 litre TCIC engine for the diesel version. The Indigo CS was initially launched with the Indica Grille and Headlights, and with the Indigo Dual chamber headlights and grille in 2009. A DiCOR option was also added.
In 2010, it received a new BS-4 compliant Common rail CR4 engine and upgrades in technology class and design, under the name Indigo CS e-series.

Features:- Indigo CS is world's shortest sedan car, size of a hatchback and spaciousness of a sedan car. Beige interiors, new AC facia, reading lamp, sporty steering wheel, the instrument panel, New styled Front Grille, front and rear bumper ,Soft touch finest quality seats ,Centre Cluster & Air Conditioning Controls , Anti-glare Inner Rear View Mirror, and trunk space of 380 litres with Independent McPherson struts equipped suspension system.
OT:Well,as I am reading this thread I have started loving the fanboyism of THE XOVER towards the Tata.What I mean is that there are the fans of other brands too on the forum but the way the Xover presents the Tata simply moves me,you put a heap of trash in front of him and put a Tata logo on it and I am sure The Xover will definitely find out something good out of it too.

Returning back to the topic:-
Well,the Indigo is amongst the cars which I really liked and praised too.Yeah,it was an Indica with a boot but the design never looked awkward or weird like the DZire,instead it always looked like a complete sedan.
Although right now Indigo may not be ruling,but it was the sedan which taught India what the hatch based sedans are and they are also nowhere lagging against the true Sedans.
Also the Indigo was the first budget diesel sedan of India
[clap]

Now came Indigo CS,this taught the world what the compact sedans are,in other words not only India,but Tata taught the world about the compact sedans.In other words,THE LUXURY OF A SEDAN CAN BE COMPACT TOO!!
The path showed by Tata is now being followed by Maruti Suzuki for their new DZire CS.
Mahindra for their new Verito CS and many more.

Xovy dear,now I am eagerly waiting for the Nano chapter to come,very well written every chapter is and I can really say that this is the best piece of writing I have came across on the forum till date(no offence to any one,its just what I feel)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #25

OT:Well,as I am reading this thread I have started loving the fanboyism of THE XOVER towards the Tata.What I mean is that there are the fans of other brands too on the forum but the way the Xover presents the Tata simply moves me,you put a heap of trash in front of him and put a Tata logo on it and I am sure The Xover will definitely find out something good out of it too.
Yes The Xover is simply too patriotic[:)].
Xovy dear,now I am eagerly waiting for the Nano chapter to come,very well written every chapter is and I can really say that this is the best piece of writing I have came across on the forum till date(no offence to any one,its just what I feel)
Thank you very much Vipps, yes Nano saga will come soon,but that part you brought about Tata winning motor races was quite informative to say the least, so Vipul , I say ," Just bring more".[thumbsup]

Well,here are some more:-

Attachments

Thread Starter #27

Part 9 ---- Small Wonder/India Shinning [;)]

For all those who are following this thread and all those who will follow it in future,today we have come to that part which is most special of them all.This part tells the story og that car which has shaken and astonished people world wide,it is culmination of the Indian engineering to its ultimate height.Who would have thought that a proper car can be built for around 1 lac rupees,but one Mr. Ratan Tata( the real ratan of our nation).One day as he was going to his office in his luxury sedan, he saw a person carrying his entire family of 5 in a scooter and commuting in rain.His great brain started to work, something needs to be done to get rid if this pathetic state of Indian commuters,and there he conceived yet another idea which turned into innovation and then literally converted into a revolution.The Tata Nano was Born!!

Now lets go through its entire history shall we:

How The Nano was Born?
Seeing an opportunity in the great number of Indian families with two-wheeled rather than four-wheeled vehicles,Tata Motors began development of an affordable car in 2003. The purchase price of this no frills auto was brought down by dispensing with most nonessential features, reducing the amount of steel used in its construction, and relying on low-cost Indian labor.
The introduction of the Nano received much media attention due to its low price, and the car was available to buy throughout India in early 2011.
The Nano's development was foreshadowed by the 2005 success of the affordable, 4-wheeled Tata Ace truck.

Expectations

Many have had great expectations for this small car, some perhaps going a bit too far. One study, by Indian rating agency CRISIL, thought the Nano would expand the nation's car market by 65%. It was also anticipated that the 2009 launch of the car would greatly affect the used-car market, with prices dropping 25-30% in the lead up to the launch. However, due to limited supply (customers had a waiting period of up to one year) used-car prices reverted to their former figures.
Sales of new Suzuki Alto-based Maruti 800s (considered the Nano's nearest competitor) dropped by 20%, and used ones by 30% immediately following the unveiling of the Nano. As Autocar journalist Mark Rainford summarizes: “People are asking themselves—and us—why they should pay, say, 250,000 Rupees for a Maruti Alto, when they can wait and get a brand new Nano for less in a few months’ time, a car that is actually bigger.”

Singur factory pullout

Tata Motors announced in 2006 that the Nano would be manufactured in Singur, West Bengal, helped in part by a forced acquisition and reuse of farmland by the West Bengal state government to entice Tata to build there. Local farmers soon began protesting the forced acquisition of their land for the new factory. As the protests continued through 2007 and 2008, Tata first delayed the Nano launch and later decided to build the car in a different state (Gujarat) instead.
Design

A Tata Nano in silver.

The car's exterior was designed at Italy's Institute of Development in Automotive Engineering(I.DE.A).
Cost cutting features

The Nano's design implements many cost-reducing measures.
  • The Nano's trunk is only accessible from inside the car, as the rear hatch does not open.
  • One windscreen wiper instead of the usual pair.
  • No power steering, unnecessary due to its light weight.
  • Three lug nuts on the wheels instead of the usual four.
  • Only one wing mirror( now 2 in Nno 2012).
  • radio or CD player can be fitted as accessories.
  • No airbags in any model.
  • 624cc rear engine has only 2 cylinders.
  • No air conditioning in base model.
Price

Announcing the vehicle as the least expensive production car in the world, Tata aimed for a starting price of one lakh, or 100,000, rupees. This was approximately US$2000 at the time. As of December, 2010, the cheapest Nano costs around US$2900.
Rapidly rising material prices (up 13% to 23% over the car’s development time) are blamed for these price rises. In late October 2010, Reuters reported that prices will be raised by an average of 9,000 rupees (US$202) from November because of rising material costs,and as of the end of 2011 the Nano costs
140,000 rupees (more than US$3,000).

Model versions

Tata Nano Std

Tata Nano Europa

At its launch the Nano was available in India in three trim levels:
  • The Tata Nano Std priced at
    142,00 with a choice of three exterior colors, dual tone vinyl seats, and a fold-down rear seat
  • The Tata Nano CX at
    171,000 with six color options, air-conditioning, two-tone seats, a parcel shelf, assisted brakes and fold-down rear seat with nap rest
  • The Tata Nano LX at
    195,000 with all of the features of the Cx plus beige fabric seats,beige door trim,beige dashboard, central locking, front power windows, body-colored bumpers, fog lamps, a trip meter, a cup holder, tri spoke steering wheel,mobile phone charging capabilities and a rear spoiler
Europa

This export version of the Nano was first shown at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show but has yet to go on sale. Heavily upgraded to meet EU safety and emission standards, the car will have a number of improvements over the standard Nano, including an extended wheelbase, a new 3-cylinder engine, power steering, an anti-lock braking system (ABS) and an improved interior and exterior. The Nano Europe will be more expensive, heavier, and less fuel efficient than the standard Nano with prices said to be around US$6000. At the 2011 Geneva Motor Show Tata unveiled the Tata Pixel, a rear engined, four passenger city car based on the Nano Europa platform.[
Export

Export to other countries like Sri Lanka and Nepal has akready begun, and the car has shown good response there.
Technical specifications

The Nano(2012) is a 38 PS (28 kW; 37 hp) car with a two-cylinder 624 cc rear engine.
The car complies with BS4 Indian emission standards and can also meet European norms.

Awards

• 2010 Business Standard Motoring Indian car of the year.
  • 2010 Bloomberg UTV-Autocar car of the year.
  • 2010 Edison Awards, first place in the transportation category.
  • 2010 Good Design Awards, in the category of transportation.
And folks don't for one second think that the Nano saga has completed, hell for nano ,"End is only the beggining of the start"[;)].

Thread Starter #28

The Nanomania continues
Scene 1
Way back in 2005, when Mr. Ratan Tata conceived an idea to make a people’s car for the masses, his idea was made fun of by the auto experts, the media,as well as other company CEOs.Noticable amongst all critics of Nano were the CEO of Suzuki Global Mr. Suzuki, who said that a car at one lakh is just not possible.There were interesting speculations in the media, some said the car would look like bajaj “tuk-tuk”.Some believe the car would be two bikes welded into one, but who would have thought how this car would turn up at 2008 auto expo[:)].

Scene 2
Come January 2008,date 10, time 11 am, and Tata are going to unveil their 1 lac car.There is a buzz in the audience section who were covering the event LIVE, first the function starts with how this dream was conceived, then some mention of the nay-sayers who believed this can not be done.Then finally all lights go out,all silence,The Xover is getting even more impatient, "Oh Lord all mighty!! Why this waiting game."Then finally, finally flashing of indicators and here comes Tata’s 1 lac car in pearl white colour driven by one Mr. Ratan Tata himself, and the whole world was shocked, Oh!! What a beauty THE XOVER says at one glance.Ratan Tata then addresses the mob, “There are some people who thought the name of the car should be Mamta,some said it should be Budhu, but we have decided to call it the Nano”.Huge applause by the witnessers.”Even though prices of raw materials are up since we made this promise of giving you a car at one lac",says Mr. Tata,”but a promise is a promise, so this car would be available at one lac ex-factory”.People go absolutely nuts with this announcement.Some are waving their check book as they want the car now.

Scene 3
April 2009 the car is launced at promised price and receives more than 2 lakh bookings,many people believe that had Mamta Banerjee not spoiled the party Nano would have been a run away success, but lack of proper production facility really did hurt the car,and now with Nano 2012 the car is doing a revival, lets see how it goes.But The Xover for one can not help but remember the lyrics of Mirja Galib on this journey of Nano which have been full of trials and tribulations:

“Haq to ye hai ki Haq ada na hua”.[cry]

Last edited:

Haha thanks a lot Xovy,now here comes some images:-
The various colors of Nano,and yes you are right that car in the rally is a Nano:-
Tata NANO-KHUSHIYON KI CHAABI!!!

Attachments

Good job!!! Xover and Vipul

Please do mention about the 37 patents in Nano.

Top Bottom