The Search? 8-17L Range!

Thread Starter #1
So I just want to do research on the vehicles in the 8L-17L Range.
We may buy a vehicle in the next few months, if it matches our bill.
I cuurently have a VW Polo CL D which is at 17000Kms and 18 months old(14500 of it in the last 6 months).
Polo is superb and no problems but my hearts asking for a new one.

->Should we retain the Polo and have a second car or sell it and go for a new one?

If We Retain it :
Then we will have a budget of around 10 L and settle for a C1 sedan mostly.
If We Sell it:
We would boost our budget to about 16/17 L and can have much better car.

Background :-
My Dad would be driving the car and his monthly usage is about 1500km and sometimes 2500 also.
It should be a nice performer, comfortable and safety is the most important factor.
Brand or Image is not a problem.We need a good car and by the way no Marutis or Mistus.
Would be used for 3-5 years depending on the buy.

The Cars considered if we retain our Polo :-
Both Diesel and Petrol are considered since we have a diesel.Listed choice wise!

1)Honda City - My choice but think Sunny is VFM and it is the only petrol considered.
2)Nissan Sunny - Oil Burner and feautristic but Small heart.
3)Mahindra Xylo- 7 Seater and would compliment the Polo nicely.

Cars not considered -
1)Tata Manza :- I think Sunnys anyday better and seriously can u compare the ride and quality of a Polo and Manza. If we end up buying it then we may never use it.
2)Fiat Linea:- May consider but lets see.
3)Renault Scala :- Pricey
4)Duster :- Out of Budget

So will discuss deeply later.Now Moving ON

If we sell our Polo :- (In no order)
Only Diesel as running is high.

1)VW Vento - Whats different same everything but powerful.I would really buy this car blindfolded but not this time cos I already have the Polo.
2)Skoda Rapid - Same thing as above but wait .... different badge
3)Renault Duster - Not the choice when u have a free budget of 16L
4)Toyota Innova - Great Vehicle but a I think its kind of sticking around long(7 years) I think Toyotas follow "Old is Gold" lines.
5)Mahindra XUV 500 - The Only choice for me below 15 L and the best choice anyway.
6)Tata Safari / Storme/ Aria - Kings but kinda bulky and I think they dont suit self driving.
7)Reno Fluence - Nice vehicle but the loaded ones out of budget.
8)Hyundai Elantra - Nice Engine,Feautres,Styling and a Hyundai
9)Chevrolet Cruze - The other Best option above 15L which u can take w/o thinking.

So these are my options.I didnt consider cars like Yeti,Laura etc cos they are out of my budget.
Jetta is my liking but not enough Vitamin M.

Please share your worthy opinions and kindly please remind me if I missed your liking,I would reply Why ?

Now I think that I have explained you the options.I have something to say -
I heard that D2,D1 segments cars lose their value quickly.So if I want to sell the car after 3 years then what is my position?
And if I have two cars then the depreciation is doubled so how would it affect me after 3 years.Though having two cars is a benefit.
But I think a second car is the best option.Anyway Pls answer the above!
I would like to wait for the Ecosport and can u suggest any other cars worth waiting for?
Finally
A B2 hatch and a C1 sedan or a D1 car.

Last edited:
hey buddy well i will say sell your polo and get cruze'd! its best for your dads requirements imho!

I'd say go for the Hyundai Elantra, IMO the best looking sedan in the market at that price range (trust me it sold more than Corolla in the U.S & in 2011 it was declared North American Car of the Year, Cruze is nowhere in that picture). So its definetly a great car.

You might find a few of the Elantra's features (segment leading) like reverse camera assist, A.C filter & ventilated cooled seats very useful, not to mention servicing may be easier compared to others. Hyundai's usually have soft suspension and light steering which are bad but Elantra has variable weighted steering hence better to drive. So in my opinion out goes the Polo and in comes the Elantra.

You also asked for a financial angle so I will add my opinion. Yes there will be considerable depreciation on your Polo over & above book value, reason : the latest upgrade & price reduction (over 50k for Diwali) VW themselves will undervalue 2nd hand cars to promote new sales even though the additions are meagre and I know their tactics. In anycase if you retain the Polo to the 3rd year, definetly the depreciation would reduce the value to well under 60% because of newer more feature laden models by then. The car scenario is changing here so cars will not hold value for long. Im very sure of my prediction so now is the best time to unlock the higher value if thats what you seek.

Last edited:
So I just want to do research on the vehicles in the 8L-17L Range.
We may buy a vehicle in the next few months, if it matches our bill.
I cuurently have a VW Polo CL D which is at 17000Kms and 18 months old(14500 of it in the last 6 months).
Polo is superb and no problems but my hearts asking for a new one.
>Should we retain the Polo and have a second car or sell it and go for a new one?
Replacing polo or retaining it depends on your utility rather than need for upgrade. If you can manage with one car at home then sell polo and get a premium sedan. But, see that your Dad's daily running is quite high and you will have lesser access to a vehicle for remaining members of the family.
As per my experience, an alternate or second vehicle should be available in family for certain times (I am assuming currently you have polo only in your family). Also, when first vehicle rests at service center for any repairs, the second vehicle performs the duties. So, you need to look into the real need first, rather than satisfying the itch for upgrade.

In my opinion you should keep polo diesel and get a new petrol sedan. Keep the petrol for weekends and polo for work. You got options like Honda City, Fiat Linea, Skoda Rapid. Best of luck.

Top Bottom