The Romance of Trucking

Is long haul trucking romantic?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Who among us is not fascinated by a long drive with nothing to accompany you but your own thoughts, the emptiness inside your vehicle playing solo music to your desolate senses, the destination far far away, and a big, powerful truck providing you all this and gobbling away mile after mile after mile. Yes, trucking may not be romantic in India but in places like the US, Canada, Australia and some parts of Europe, there are people who take up this job just for the romance associated with it. Whenever I see a picture of a big Freightliner or a Peterbilt, I feel like chucking my job and start Truckin' !

So let the thoughts flow. Let's discuss what we think of this job, these wonderful machines, and the people who drive them.

Attachments

Whoa you got a nice thought just like me!

Well i am in love with these behemoths and whenever i see these trucks in highways feels like[drive] it!

Yes, trucking may not be romantic in India
Who told? Indian Trucking is awesome for me than other countries.
Watched the IRT Indian season? I enjoyed every bit.

If i get a chance to drive truck/bus then definitely i would love being in it and especially Volvo B9R,Navistar,Leyland 12M.

If i get a chance to drive truck/bus then definitely i would love being in it and especially Volvo B9R,Navistar,Leyland 12M.
Only if I could manage to drive a multi axle Mercedes Benz bus! I also dream of driving a Volvo bus at night, all the way from here (Calcutta) to Silliguri.

Even i love trucking. I drove a Kensworth and a Mack at my dad's site in oman. Hell that was an awsome experience, with 21 power gears, 600 HP and a nice turbo whine.

Hi thought there sam. One more thing i would like to add is trucking during nights would be even more exciting than in the morning. ain't it? [;)]

Only if I could manage to drive a multi axle Mercedes Benz bus! I also dream of driving a Volvo bus at night, all the way from here (Calcutta) to Silliguri.
[clap],Let our dream come true, at-least for once.

Even i love trucking. I drove a Kensworth and a Mack at my dad's site in oman. Hell that was an awsome experience, with 21 power gears,
Man! you are lucky to drive them!

600 HP and a nice turbo whine.
Mind blowing experience you must have got there.

Hi thought there sam. One more thing i would like to add is trucking during nights would be even more exciting than in the morning. ain't it? [;)]
And that's what those long haulers do in India because of the less traffic and to avoid sun's blistering heat.

I love to cruise and I love big vehicles. Even now, I'm playing 18 Wheels of Steel on my laptop. I'm not thrilled to drive in India, but in countries like US, UK, etc... It would be fun.

I love to see these big trucks and would love to drive one of these. Some of them are so Huge that they will scare you, if you have to overtake them. But they are really beautiful and they drive almost at 80mph - 100mph.
But if its raining and you are on an interstate highway, then its not fun to see these giants. They splash so much water that it becomes hard to see through them. No matter you drive a sedan or a big SUV.
But they are awesome. Thought of sharing the some pictures.

Attachments

Thread Starter #9
singh890:: Nice pics there. Since the truck is the only companion of the driver for most of his life, the driver showers most of his attention and 'philosophy' on the truck and that is why we get to see all sort of paint schemes, custom jobs, and quotes on trucks (the Pakistani trucks beat all and sundry when it comes to decor). The last picture (the Shell truck) is of what is called a 'Road-Train' in Australia. See what Jeremy Clarkson has to say about these Leviathans

Attachments

Well said : to keep awake and to meet the dead lines many use the drug and that is speed "speed".

I have driven a huge Renault.I dared only to move an inch but felt it was more comfy than a high end car.

I haven't driven any one but the idea surely is novel! I liked the thread [:)] If given a chance I would love to drive one endlessly on a straight stretch.

well i dint knew people want to take trucking as profession also [surprise] anyways i will also want to drive one some day but definately not everday!

well i dint knew people want to take trucking as profession also [surprise] anyways i will also want to drive one some day but definately not everday!
Yes Bro in US & Canada trucking is considered as a profession and that too respected one. And acquiring the license to drive these mammoths, you have to undergo few written and driving tests.

And these truck drivers earn a lot dude[;)]. Almost more then $70K per year. One of my friend in Canada has his own trucking company.

I haven't driven any one but the idea surely is novel! I liked the thread [:)] If given a chance I would love to drive one endlessly on a straight stretch.
Same here buddy. I also want to drive them atleast once. I have been in their cabin but didn't get a chance to drive. Their cabin is WOOO. The cabin was giving me the feeling of a cockpit. [:D]

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom