'The Pussy Cat' - My Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS [Now Sold]

Thread Starter #61
Hi All,

Quick update from my end. The service station has accepted their mistake and as a quick fix changed the engine oil back to 5W30 and replaced the oil filter with the correct one imported from Japan without charging me anything extra.

However, they have not provided a solution to the damage that could have been done over this time. As usual without much knowledge the service supervisors claim that nothing will go wrong, but I challenged them to give in writing and they couldn't respond back.

I am literally holding a knife at the Nexa Service Manager constantly bugging him to provide me a long term solution/compensation for the mistake that has been done.

I am also raising this mishap to Maruti. It seems like though Maruti has come a long way in India, they are really not ready for the niche market unless we supervise everything ourselves[cry].

The car though after changing back to the correct oil runs much smoother and has better performance and refinement at higher speeds compared to how it was when running with the thinner oil[drive].
Good that you got things corrected on hand. Did Maruti take any measures against this ?
I spoke with some service centers in Bangalore over time, all seems to use normal 0W20 oil and 1.2NA's oil filter unless the owner asks for the Japanese made one. This sure is a worry because they are deviating from what they have been told to do. Some SA's doesn't even recognize it as an RS. Petrol Baleno and Diesel Baleno. Thats all they know. Also found that the guys in most service centers has the attitude of - 'let it get some disease, then we will cure it'.
I am getting glove box rattle(only one side) and all have acknowledged it as a common problem and has to live with it. But my home svc quickly addressed it and said they have remedies to solve, just that I dont find time to go there. There is no other rattle or lose fittings anywhere other than that. Touchwood. [clap]

Hey,

So I have been continuously nagging the so called Nexa Service Manager who is at the Khivraj service station for an update on how I am going to be compensated or what action is going to be taken on the mistake. I have been continuously hearing excuses. "The plant and servers were shut for maintenance" is a classic one. I have lost the feel good factor about the car for good.

I had raised an issue about an annoying rattling noise at the low RPM range, when you have your Air Con at slowest speed and your in stand still traffic without the radio on, which they said is due to the solenoid operation for the turbo which cannot be addressed which came as an utter nonsense reply considering the fact that the boost pressure is going to be the bare minimum of 6 to 8 psi which would be lesser than various performance class vehicles and we can't hear such a noise even there. They never addressed it but stated they will take it as a feedback to Maruti. God knows was it taken.

I have also now started to hear a noise from the steering column, like for slight variations in position I hear a squeaking noise which is another nuisance that has started. Have to get this addressed but I am very pessimistic now with the service centers.

I generally don't drive with music and prefer the sound of the car and such small noises end up becoming irritating and your frustrated with the fact of having to go to the service center to avoid voiding the warranty, you may want to service the car yourself then giving to these untrustworthy and ignorant souls working there.

The car has only clocked 19000 kms on the odometer in about 1 year and issues cropping up already :(

Today, though I have send an 800 word essay mail voicing out my displeasure on the service center. To see that they offer promising products here https://www.suzuki.co.nz/boosterjet-technology, but we cannot see the light of these offerings soon is a sad matter.

Hoping at least they respond with a satisfying response.
Please write a mail to NEXA directly and explain them the whole situation.
Maybe they can help you escalate and solve the issue.

Hey, so have done exactly that. They'd be doing a health check up on the car (Compression Ratio, Oil Temperature etc) and they will be discussing with the VP to come up with a next course of action. At the very least they should give me in writing, admission of the mistake with an apology and taking responsibility for engine failure post the check up and then the discussion will be extended on how this can be compensated.

Fingers crossed.. [thinking][drive]

Hey, so have done exactly that. They'd be doing a health check up on the car (Compression Ratio, Oil Temperature etc) and they will be discussing with the VP to come up with a next course of action. At the very least they should give me in writing, admission of the mistake with an apology and taking responsibility for engine failure post the check up and then the discussion will be extended on how this can be compensated.

Fingers crossed.. [thinking][drive]
You have to be behind them, i think you should even consider the consumer court option and be prepared.
Put your complete bad experience till now on the Baleno thread on TAI.
Maybe some Baleno owner from the forum can help you further.

Thread Starter #67
20K Km update .
Odo Reading : 20,100 kms.
Tyres run(Momo Outrun M3) : 9,500kms.
Total Service cost : 7537INR

I have gone to my tried and tested service center for the 20k service. The service was actually scheduled for last Saturday, so I thought up calling the SA on Friday evening as a reminder. I called by 4PM, he asked me if I was free that time and if I could bring the car in an hour. I immediately ran to the service and gave the car and left for home(Had stayed with the car last time, he was fine with me watching this time as well, but he had gained enough trust from my side).
Things to change and address to :
1. Cabin filter and Air filter Clean/Replace.
2. Coolant replace.
3. Oil and Oil Filter replace
4. Add Injector cleaner
5. Brake pad wear check/Replace if necessary
6. No interior polish/dashboard polish application whatsoever.
7. Tighten all frame and engine bolts.
8. Glove Box rattle
9. Brake Fluid Replace
10. One horn doesnt work at times (A common RS issue ? [confused] heard some other RS owners too mentioning the same).
11. Fill the windshield washer reservoir to the brim.

At 6PM, around 1.5 hours after the car was given to service I get a call that the car is ready for delivery [surprise] .
Replaced things include full coolant, brake fluid/clutch fluid, bleeding all 4 calipers, checking their wear(looks good for another 20k kms), RS specific Oil filter and Marutis Castrol 5w30 SS oil, Wheel alignment done from here as they have a new machine now and the SA himself recommended it(Last time he asked me to do from outside), Fully filled windshield washer with 10 packets of backup, Cleaned air filter and cabin filter(Both were quite neat which surprised me since I live in Bangalore and I use the car for majority of highway drives only) Glove box rattle fully gone, horn not in stock, so that was the only thing that wasn't done to a 100%.
I was not charged for washer fluid, nor the backups, and no unnecessary and unwanted jobs thats some MASS try to incorporate into the inflated bill. The only sour point is the price of SGP injector cleaner(Imported from Japan), which costs 2k, which means I could turn to Liqui Moly injector cleaner the next time. Wonderful experience this one, with the 20k service taking just 1.5 hours.

The next sour point is the 40k service cost. The part Prices alone costs around 10k (Plugs costs a bomb(Iridium, made in Japan), and the second round of Injector cleaner) which is the highest for a Maruti Suzuki car that is on sale today. But this cost is something you can save if you move cleverly, but I hope Maruti don't fiddle with Warranty for using our own injector cleaner and plugs.
Other than that, I am completely happy with the performance of the car, getting around 21kmpl with a light foot and around 16-18 with a heavy foot on highways, and city mileage hovering around 13-15. The tyres though are phenomenal in wet and dry alike, slowly is making a bit more sound than they used to make(near 10k kms run), but other than hard ride, it has been a fantastic journey with the tyres. I might stick with the same tyre if it gets a desired mileage.

Attachments

Hey,

So cool, I did my 20k service recently as well (20th Oct). Didn't even consider the injector cleaner. However, had the cabin filter (had rodent problem) and air filter (found it a little dirty) replaced. Considering the mishap they did last time, they were pretty careful this time and filled the correct oil and didn't say a word for being inside the workshop when the service was being carried out.

I didn't necessarily have any complaints per se. I had covered my car in MCP (for 7k) and had to pay only for the filters, wheel balancing weights and wheel alignment which came up to 1600/- approx.

For the mishap with the incorrect oil that had been used, the service provider has agreed to do a full service free of cost at 30k kms. I was pretty much tired going about fighting for this and the car anyway seems fine. I am pretty much getting about the same mileage as you.

Cheers..!!

Baleno RS requires SAE 5W30 (API SL SM OR SN) GRADE classification oil and most of the service centers are putting (99999M05W30-IOC, 99999M05W30-TTL, 99999M05W30-SHL, 99999M05W30-CAS, 99999M05W30-IDT) that costs around 270 per litre which is SG plus category and now seems very old and obsolete. Most of the service centers are unaware about this and some of them thinks 0w20 for RS even the nexa service center at cochin kerala. In my opinion 99999MS5W30 CAS is the correct oil for the RS(Ivin used the same oil on his 20k service) which costs around 490 rs/litre compared to 270 rs/litre for the SG PLUS oils. I did some little research about the oils which they are using now and found out it was devoloped for old series of maruti engines like swift first gen petrol, old grand vitara etc.

Boosterjet engine is very popular on UK and suzuki is using castrol edge fully synthetic 5w30 and 5w40 oils for the regular oil change there, only in india we are getting poor grade mineral oil for this sweet turbo petrol motor. Turbo petrol motors always requires latest grade oil for turbocharger protection, better sludge control and thermal stability.

99999MS5W30 is maruti genuine branded castrol Magnatec professional oil and most of the service are totally unaware about that specific oil or they don't have that oil in stock. Recently maruti launched a new product called ecstar lubricants in India. Baleno RS was the show car of the event and they don't have any ecstar oil available for the RS LOL!! . only they have 0w20 petrol and 5w30 diesel oils. When i mailed my concern to nexa and regional service care i didn't get any reply.

Thread Starter #70
Hey,

So cool, I did my 20k service recently as well (20th Oct). Didn't even consider the injector cleaner. However, had the cabin filter (had rodent problem) and air filter (found it a little dirty) replaced.

I didn't necessarily have any complaints per se. I had covered my car in MCP (for 7k) and had to pay only for the filters, wheel balancing weights and wheel alignment which came up to 1600/- approx.

For the mishap with the incorrect oil that had been used, the service provider has agreed to do a full service free of cost at 30k kms. I was pretty much tired going about fighting for this and the car anyway seems fine. I am pretty much getting about the same mileage as you.

Cheers..!!
Hopefully they wont void warranty for not using the injector cleaner. Even I am not planning to use it again from 40k kms. The 40k service should cost approx. 15k including taxes(Around 6k for 3 plugs). Maruti could have easily sourced plugs from India rather than importing as an SGP part from the Japan factory. Hopefully more localizing could be on the cards , once the Swift RS comes in. This engine could be powering the future Maruti hatchbacks considering the 1.2NA maynot qualify as a BS6 compliant one. VW also is testing the 1.0TSI with 2 power tunes. So small turbo petrol's could be the future for power+ mileage+ less pollution.

Baleno RS requires SAE 5W30 (API SL SM OR SN) GRADE classification oil and most of the service centers are putting (99999M05W30-IOC, 99999M05W30-TTL, 99999M05W30-SHL, 99999M05W30-CAS, 99999M05W30-IDT) that costs around 270 per litre which is SG plus category and now seems very old and obsolete. Most of the service centers are unaware about this and some of them thinks 0w20 for RS even the nexa service center at cochin kerala. In my opinion 99999MS5W30 CAS is the correct oil for the RS(Ivin used the same oil on his 20k service) which costs around 490 rs/litre compared to 270 rs/litre for the SG PLUS oils. I did some little research about the oils which they are using now and found out it was devoloped for old series of maruti engines like swift first gen petrol, old grand vitara etc.

Boosterjet engine is very popular on UK and suzuki is using castrol edge fully synthetic 5w30 and 5w40 oils for the regular oil change there, only in india we are getting poor grade mineral oil for this sweet turbo petrol motor. Turbo petrol motors always requires latest grade oil for turbocharger protection, better sludge control and thermal stability.

99999MS5W30 is maruti genuine branded castrol Magnatec professional oil and most of the service are totally unaware about that specific oil or they don't have that oil in stock. Recently maruti launched a new product called ecstar lubricants in India. Baleno RS was the show car of the event and they don't have any ecstar oil available for the RS LOL!! . only they have 0w20 petrol and 5w30 diesel oils. When i mailed my concern to nexa and regional service care i didn't get any reply.
Surprised to learn that Maruti haven't done much investigation before launching a product with a new engine. Apparently they tested the RS engine for 4L kms in India. That is a lot of kms if you ask me and I dont doubt their statement either. So they might have found that the mineral oil they supply does just 'fine' in Indian conditions. Agree most service centers haven't got a clue on what they are dealing with, but AFAIK, haven't heard any complaints about the Boosterjet yet, apart from a couple of turbo failures, caused mainly because of neglecting the Turbo rules.. Agree to the part that they might be using a wrong type of oil for India compared to abroad, but I guess Maruti will be having their own test results as their back up and hence might be the reason for continuing with the same.

Last edited:
Hopefully they wont void warranty for not using the injector cleaner. Even I am not planning to use it again from 40k kms. The 40k service should cost approx. 15k including taxes(Around 6k for 3 plugs). Maruti could have easily sourced plugs from India rather than importing as an SGP part from the Japan factory. Hopefully more localizing could be on the cards , once the Swift RS comes in. This engine could be powering the future Maruti hatchbacks considering the 1.2NA maynot qualify as a BS6 compliant one. VW also is testing the 1.0TSI with 2 power tunes. So small turbo petrol's could be the future for power+ mileage+ less pollution.

Surprised to learn that Maruti haven't done much investigation before launching a product with a new engine. Apparently they tested the RS engine for 4L kms in India. That is a lot of kms if you ask me and I dont doubt their statement either. So they might have found that the mineral oil they supply does just 'fine' in Indian conditions. Agree most service centers haven't got a clue on what they are dealing with, but AFAIK, haven't heard any complaints about the Boosterjet yet, apart from a couple of turbo failures, caused mainly because of neglecting the Turbo rules.. Agree to the part that they might be using a wrong type of oil for India compared to abroad, but I guess Maruti will be having their own test results as their back up and hence might be the reason for continuing with the same.
May be they are using this oil to bring down the service costs and I guess may be that test car used castrol synthetic 5w30 MGSO for their 4 Lakh test, there's a chance and we will never know. Btw im using liqui moly molygen 5w30 fully synthetic.

Thread Starter #75
May be they are using this oil to bring down the service costs and I guess may be that test car used castrol synthetic 5w30 MGSO for their 4 Lakh test, there's a chance and we will never know. Btw im using liqui moly molygen 5w30 fully synthetic.
Yes right, thats something we are never going to know off. I did not have the time and space to get a different oil TBH. The worrying comments on Amazon with at least 2 reviews saying the oil is fake made me not to purchase LM or Shell from Amazon. Went to Shell outlet here and they quoted me MRP for their oils without any discounts. LM were available , but shopkeepers wernt able to answer me how to differentiate between original and fake ones, where they themselves were not sure if they were selling original or counterfeit ones. So decided not to take a chance this time around and went in with Castrol. Probably 30k service is the time for a change :)

Most SA's are not familar with RS technicals , so they mix up the Oil I believe.
Yes, most wernt even aware it uses a completely different oil filter in the first place. Some still dont know the same. Have seen service centers using 0W20 for RS which is a completely wrong grade. I have a really knowledgeable mech at home service who has been trained well for RS, and he talks sense as well. This is the sole reason I dont give the car for service anywhere in Bangalore as most here just takes it as business, there is no enthusiasm found in any MASS of Nexa service center here. Once I went to try E City Nexa for de-chroming handle bars , booked an appointment after telling everything on phone and while typing the job card, the SA asked me why I want to de-chrome a part when it wont last more than a month. I was like WTF are you talking ? He said the paint wont stay on chrome handlebar and that it will peel off. I immediately left the place and never went that route again.

Top Bottom