'The Pussy Cat' - My Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS [Now Sold]

Thread Starter #92
Looks like you're having fun with your lil pocket rocket. Don't care about mileage, RS is just about power.
Yea, one of the major advantage is the lack of turbo lag and I am yet to feel the need for more power. Maybe that will change once I test drive some remapped cars. The only issues till now is the feel that the sheet metal is not robust. Plastic panels can be better, and such sort of things. But again, my priority is a strong passenger compartment, no compromise braking and I think that's well there. Another thing is the additional 60kgs over the normal Baleno. Some have earlier said that the additional weight is due to turbo and its related stuff, but the thing is the K10C engine of the RS, inclduing the Turbo, intercooler is well around 30kgs lighter than 1.2VVT NA, and around 25kgs lighter than 1.2 Dual Jet that Suzuki uses in Baleno elsewhere. Hopefully the weight has gone to strengthening the chassis which as Maruti said at launch time, and is a good thing when looked at all angles. And not to mention that the models sold in Europe, Australia etc. with the boosterjet weights exactly the same as Indian version. But as long as Maruti wont share, we wont know. I wish it had cruise control too.

Issue with new marutis is the calliper pin .
Check that also during 5k intervals . Service advisors say to do the shimming , but I suggest you to either replace at 5kkm or shim and grease it at 5kkm and replace at 10k .
I prefer the latter , saving about 500rs .

Probably your wheel alignment were off ? I made it a habit to check all 4 pads at every 5k kms during wheel balancing and alignment, just to be on the safer side. And yes, RS uses different pads from Baleno, and thankfully because of that I haven't seen any owners wanting a brake upgrade. Apparently the rear pads are same from S-Cross 1.6 and its a Suzuki Genuine part costing north of 5k afaik.

25K kms update :
Not much to talk. All going smooth and sound, brake pads looks set to go another 25k kms more as its not even half worn, probably due to maximum usage on the highway, thereby less braking. The engine is a gem, the 3rd gear is a diamond on it. Yet to be solved are some rattles near glove box, I do have to blame the 17 inch wheels partially for it, the mileage remains around 19 kmpl on highways and around 11-13 in B2B Bangalore traffic. One thing I did change is the seat cover, rather I threw out the one which I bought from Nexa at the time of the delivery due to their ridiculous heat saving capability. One hour under the sun, and it was virtually impossible to sit in the car, now running stock seat without any covers and the situation is a big big improvement. Doesn't look like I will use a seat cover ever again, until I find a really good one for my taste and use.
Our very own @Rasheek56 have got his RS Wolfd. Approximate new power figures are around 120PS and 175nm torque. I am still waiting for his ownership thread, perhaps he will pen one when he finds time.
The information on the break pads are really helpful. Things I'd have to upvote are
1) 3rd gear being the diamond, couldn't agree with you more.
2) Stock seat covers are much better than Rexin or Leather covers if you live in places where it is hot. I think an occasional interior treatment from 3M or just a plain vacuum should keep the seats clean enough.

Thread Starter #95
2) Stock seat covers are much better than Rexin or Leather covers if you live in places where it is hot. I think an occasional interior treatment from 3M or just a plain vacuum should keep the seats clean enough.
Exactly. I would be doing that occasional 3M Germi clean(if it gets dirty that is) or will keep it clean myself, this is much better than using the seat covers that is provided by MSIL. Again, this is a personal opinion. Have seen people liking those seat covers as well [:D]

Thread Starter #99
Update on Service: 30,000kms/2nd paid service. Total Cost: Rs.4872

Went back to my trusted service centre in Calicut, 'Popular Vehicles' for 30k kms service. They had already procured the oil and oil filter since I had given them a heads up the previous week. Car was given for service by 6:00PM after they called me and informed that they would free a mechanic by that time and it was convenient for me as well. The car was ready by 7:30PM and I had waited at their lounge watching them work on my car. This time a big board has come up saying "No photo or video allowed". Overall, a decent job. They again did not charge for wiper fluid refill(the tank was almost empty) and coolant top-up. They did mention one screenwash fluid cost on the bill and gave me multiple sachets to keep with me. Air filter was surprisingly clean for Bangalore conditions and decided to dust it off and use it till 40k service and will replace irrespective of the condition. Got the cabin filter replaced and the Castrol FS oil continues this time as well since I am pretty happy with the same.

The front brake pads might need a replacement soon. As I saw it, it did have some 5k-7k kilometers left in it. The MASS asked me to replace them before 5k kilometers just to be on the safer side. The rear pads are still strong and should do another 15k-20k kilometers.
The front brakes on the RS are different from normal Baleno and the pads cannot be interchanged. The normal Baleno pads cost around 2k INR and RS pads are around 4.7k INR. I haven't decided whether to stick with stock or go aftermarket. That is a decision I will have to make in the next 5k kilometers. Not to mention, the RS pads are indeed out of stock with most dealers, but a couple of Nexa service centers in Bangalore has them, so it shouldn't be a tough job to get them.

Its highly unlikely that Maruti has decided to put a completely new set of brakes on the RS. So this front brake set up should match with some other car from their own stable. The rear disc setup is the same as S-Cross and I thought the front was of Baleno itself, but its not. Its not of S-Cross's either. That's one thing I need to find out, so I can search for those part numbers in future in case the RS pads are out of stock.

Attachments

Thread Starter #100
Update: My Baleno RS, now sold!

Yes, you read that right. 3 years, 1 month was all I could do with the car. Most of us had postponed our car purchases thanks to the global pandemic and I being one person who did not have any car purchases(in mind) in the near future has pre-poned my plans as the need for an automatic was already here before I could think twice.

I might be one of those guys who was looking at the possibility of a new car thanks to Covid-19 because the fear of travelling in a public transport is higher than ever before and by the looks of it, this fear is going to stay with us for quite some time(Hope I am wrong here). Primary reason for the sale was wife's requirement to travel to and fro to office(she was using public transport till the pandemic hit) and as I explained before, she wasn't comfortable using a manual, especially in a city like Bangalore. This rang alarms earlier than expected and we have decided to trade in the RS for a Hyundai Venue DCT. Yes I know the issues of Dual clutches in traffic, and I believe we can discuss that later in another thread. For now, its a good bye to a trusted companion who was all trouble free from the date of purchase, served me well and comforted me all throughout, just a bit sad that Maruti Suzuki did not feel the same and pulled the plug on it. The car had 35k kms on the odo.

Top Bottom