The Practicality and Legality of Camping Trailers in India

What do you think of Camping trailers?

• Total voters
There is one garage based out of kerala, josh dezigns, they make caravans with kitchen, toilet etc with tata, force bus and vans. If you check their facebook page you can find some economic (compared to DC) designs with minimal exterior. This will get rid of the issue with annoying crowd.

basically the use of caravan is for camping right in the middle of nowhere. In india do you have places such as nowhere?

say you park in some grassland you are bound to attract people from nearby villages objecting to .....................................

All said that I sill like the idea of having a caravan or camping trailer and camping.

so why not loading your suv boot with all supplies and tents and putting up your own tent and camp?
I think you've hit it right on the nail. We need sufficient secluded areas for these to work. And India with it's population, it seems a distinct impossibility. Besides the caravans would ideally be make more sense on the plains. and you have agricultural/private land all around our highways. Besides, would you really be willing to camp out in a unknown place, knowing that there's no police to protect you if things get ugly.

Camping in Tents while on road.

I searched a quite a lot but couldn't find anything related to camping or placing a tent on the side of the road. or while going on a trekk or while visiting remote places. I wanted to try this out and hence wanted suggestions from fellow TAI- gers. HAs anyone at TAI done this if yes could you pls guide me.

I am thinking of going to wayanad on a budget on a bike ride hence thought that camping would be a good option, Though havent done it ever however there is always a first time for everything.

I have shortlisted this particular tent from Amazon.in

Buy Quechua Arpenaz 2 Tent (Blue) Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in.

Also have shortlisted a sleeping bag.

Buy Quechua S20 Adult Sleeping Bag Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

and this light.
LED Cree Round Shape Pop Up Lantern Torch Flashlight: Amazon.in: Electronics.

there are n number of thing that can be added to this basic gear once i feel i can go ahead with such kind of living while on tour.

your advice would be very much appreciated.

there are public toilets and bathrooms available everywhere in the country if not at least most of the petrol pumps will give you that facility. i can live with that. so go the truckers way for it[:D]

But do you guys feel in india we can do such things. i really would like to know.

Re: Camping in Tents while on road.

incarnation i too had given a good thought on camping in tents and had searched for gears. although its available online and in shops in metro cities but its going to be tough in india. there are lots of miscreants in our country who would rob you of your valuables if they could corner you in an isolated place. the civic amenities in india is very poor. there are not much toilets in most places. i haven't come across any camping grounds.( in india people rob road traffic victims and loot material being sent for flood relief.)

Any update on this BHVN.Can you post some pics of your project.
My opinion is that Caravaning is different experience than staying in hotels.And it's not for metro driving conditions.

Thread Starter #36

bhvm

Honoured Member
the idea has been posponed at the moment due to lack of vitamin.M.

the project cost is almost 25 lacs.

Dear. I am interested in DIY project for motorhome. Can you share your project costing details. 25 lac is too much for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #38

bhvm

Honoured Member
I don't have too much details, But here it goes-

1> Cost of Vehicle (Tempo traveller/Winger/Tata Mini bus)- 13~15 lacs
2> Cost of customization (Interior, Bed, Toilet, Kitchen)- 15 lacs
3> Cost of Custom Equipment- TV, Microwave, Induction, Small fridge, Small Generator, Inverter, Extra Batteries, Sound system- 1~2 lacs.

Dear itsme12345, the cost of customisation can be brought down significantly if carried out as a DIY project. May be you can find designs and layouts from youtube and other online sources. But completely redoing the interior structure, doing the PU panels etc can't be done with minimal tools and machineries as in small DIY projects. The RV should be sturdy enough and after investing all this money it shouldn't carry a wannabe look. So overall it will be a humongous task for a DIYer, so think twice and then thrice before you take the leap!.

Appreciate your inputs Lameassonwheels.Of course its not advisable to do it entirely myself.
My definition of DIY is bit lazy one.. Plan yourself,design yourself,buy the raw materials yourself and get the work done by experts.This way I can get the proper work done with the knowledge of What's stuffed inside..
Currently searching for a suitable chassis which can hold the 8 foot by 14 foot box..confused between Tata and Eicher..ride will be mainly on mountains..not offroad

any progress yet? DIY is the only way to go..
others worrying about privacy, finding secluded areas.. well if you plan it right, then that wont be a problem.. some has to set the trend..

The age of Caravans and roadtrips are coming to India slowly, now there seems lot of opportunities to create service and products for this requirements.[clap]

Yes BHVM, Carrying your bike/scooter at back of your car and using for interior/city travel is ideal and effective option[:D]

While I see that BHVM has some initial plan to make a caravan and not a trailer, in my opinion having a camping trailer is definitely cumbersome.

1. Manoeuvrability in city Traffic.
2. Stability when driving, the steering and braking is completely dependent on the vehicle towing. You need to ensure auxiliary braking setup for the trailer from your car.
3. Ability of your small car to tow on country side roads which may be in a bad shape, have curves, inclines etc. Your XUV can surely pull on flat roads and some low level gradients, but at few places there would be a need for a 4x4 SUV with Low range. I am sure camping is not going to happen at the side of the flat Highway.
4. Taking U turns or reversing if by mistake you get in a dead end. You need to have a lot of practice. I have seen tractor drivers with trolleys behind reversing to take a 3 point turn and how they have to turn in the opposite direction to ensure the trailer goes in the intended direction.

So overall its best to have a single big vehicle (TT/winger/407) with all facilities built on it.

Thread Starter #44

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thanks for the Inputs W_S,
This was a conceptual thinking. Major issues are that there is no legal clarifications on the issue. Major confusion will be TOLL TAX which will consider the setup as Multi axle, charging 600~700 rupees per toll. Or their Barriers will fall between the car and trailer, damaging my possession.

The Practical points you mentioned are very much present. Roads are way too small for proper turning and maneuvering. However if India wants to curb pollution and traffic, 1 CSUV+ Trailer is better than 2 SUVs/Sedans.

New powerful CSUVs like Nexon should be able to tow a trailer provided Tata put some thought in the design. No Indian CSUVs have secondary brake rail, Tail lamp sockets or trailer hitch points even as a Accessory.

Last edited:

Top Bottom