The Practicality and Legality of Camping Trailers in India

What do you think of Camping trailers?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
The Indian driving scene has gone complicated by every year. We have extensive travel demands from our vehicles. Sometimes we need to squeeze into the thickest forests of metal and wheels. Other times we need a big boxy 7 seater to accommodate all family members on that long vacation.

As a result, Many of us have to Purchase 2 cars. A small car of City and Premium SUV for year end Vacations. Some of us who are out of budget either compromise by riding Big cars in city or Stuffing more luggage/people into their small cars![frustration]

Like a bolt out of Blue, It dawned on me... what about camping trailers like they have in the west?[evil]
We can have one small but powerful compact car for our daily needs, and for the holiday trips- hook up our camping trailer for ultimate space and luxury! Kills two bird in one stone.

So do join in, and express your views.
I am more interested in-
Legality issues- Tax, Tolls, Registration, Costs,
Safety and Speeds
Practical Issues- Maintainance, Performance, Accessories etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
do join in, and express your views.
I am more interested in-
Legality issues- Tax, Tolls, Registration, Costs,
Safety and Speeds
Practical Issues- Maintainance, Performance, Accessories etc.
Nice Thought[clap]! However, I feel a Caravan is far more easier to maintain, drive and safe. Caravan does have all options as a separate customized camping trailer may have. Caravan can be integrated with all gadgets and looks like home away from home.

A Trailer employs a separate axle so an extra toll can be charged at toll booths in "multi axle" category and cost of building a furnished/ customized trailer is higher than a Caravan.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. caravan does not solve the 2 car problem. and as it would be rarely used will need prepping and preventive maintainance

2. yes I'm confused about tolls. the multi axle category is totally loot !! I guess current toll people are not well versed with trailers

3. caravans are very expensive to make. and they're not very fun to drive as 4 wheelers as well.

@bhvm
1) Agree caravan can't solve the two car problem but it can be solved buy hiring a self drive car which is rapidly emerging as a option .
2) I'm terrified buy the name of tolls with a multi axle category ready to shed five six hundred bucks on every toll plaza.:eek:

3) Caravan are not affordable buy many of us simply even for those who can afford them it will be a mess to get a proper parking space for them and they can't even be utilized as second cars.

Thread Starter #6

bhvm

Honoured Member
I am pleased to see that every RTO has some provision for Camping trailers in OTT category-
Untitled Document

"3. Camper Van/Trailer for private use
F 6 (179) Pari/Tax/Hqrs./ 95 /1 R Dt : 14-07-2014

(a) Purchased as chassis 10% of cost of chassis

(b) Purchased with complete Body
7.5% of cost of vehicle"

2) Self drive car is a good option but we don't know how these were used or Abused. Also the dynamics of each car is different and we don;t know the perks of these Unknown cars. Also getting a paid car with top notch safety features (and ensuring they work ) would be quite a task.

3) Caravans are far too expensive a the momnent. My dad enquired about purchasing a Tempo Traveller then modifying to the heavens to make House on wheels. The whole project cost is 25~35 lacs. I asked him to Purchase a BMW in that budget rather!
I think a Trailer from ground up can be made in 5~7 lacs.
Assuming a 7 lac Small car+ 7 lac trailer. We are very much in the budget of a Normal SUV and with all the flexiblity and luxury added.

Go for old Vans like Voyagers. MATADOR, VW Vans, Or a second hand Winger. its got room for stuffing 7 people as well as easy to maintain as well as can be converted to CARAVAN at the budget of a trailer itself. need help in doing so let me know.

Thread Starter #8

bhvm

Honoured Member
Go for old Vans like Voyagers. MATADOR, VW Vans, Or a second hand Winger. its got room for stuffing 7 people as well as easy to maintain as well as can be converted to CARAVAN at the budget of a trailer itself. need help in doing so let me know.
only tempo traveller has standing height with good AC. about other vehicles, let's take a look.
we are looking forward to integrate washroom, basin, inductor cooker, 3000w inverter etc.

Ac can be fitted in a matador or a winger at INR 24,000/-, Also you have something called chemical toilets which are used in big gatherings and else where.its just a box with a WC installed just cost you not more than 30k. also there is a facility of renting them if you live in a metro. however judging from your Location which is a village, i think renting is out. insertion of basin and induction cooker is matterof wood frame work, or aluminium frame work and a car inverter, That damage ( i mean expense)would be in minimal say within 12-15k

I can imagine a trailer bouncing around on a broken road behind an SUV.
Hell, are our roads meant for them?

What if the trailer fishtails at speed and hits some other vehicle?

Are other drivers on Indian roads sensible enough to see and understand that the person carrying a trailer with his car needs some extra space on the road and he can't make sudden maneuvers like other car drivers can?

I have a firm belief that Indian drivers are stubborn enough that they are going to make way for only the BIG trailers which are pulled by trucks, others are considered foolish by them.

@BHVM: Why don't you get your XUV or T-Fort DCed?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12

bhvm

Honoured Member
Ac can be fitted in a matador or a winger at INR 24,000/-, Also you have something called chemical toilets which are used in big gatherings and else where.its just a box with a WC installed just cost you not more than 30k. also there is a facility of renting them if you live in a metro. however judging from your Location which is a village, i think renting is out. insertion of basin and induction cooker is matterof wood frame work, or aluminium frame work and a car inverter, That damage ( i mean expense)would be in minimal say within 12-15k
Renting... Hmm! That an interesting preposition
Even if I end up paying 2~3 lacs in Rent (Total) its better than spending 25 lacs and caring for a white elephant. You know any such services?
The worst case will be I;ll drive to a metro city, park my car somewhere and the REAL journey begins from there. Seems doable.
do share WIP PIcs in case you are planning to build one might help a lot of people.
Sure man. Dad is very adamant. Just wating for vitamin M
I can imagine a trailer bouncing around on a broken road behind an SUV.
Hell, are our roads meant for them?

What if the trailer fishtails at speed and hits some other vehicle?

Are other drivers on Indian roads sensible enough to see and understand that the person carrying a trailer with his car needs some extra space on the road and he can't make sudden maneuvers like other car drivers can?

I have a firm belief that Indian drivers are stubborn enough that they are going to make way for only the BIG trailers which are pulled by trucks, others are considered foolish by them.

@BHVM: Why don't you get your XUV or T-Fort DCed?
1) Yes handling can be an Issue and other idiots on the roads only makes it worse.
2) DC'ing is out because dad wants standing height with Urinal, Kitchen , bath etc.
Any body mods on XUV or T fort will spoil the looks and dynamics of these vehicles (which they're brought for)

RV's as they are called are rented in Delhi. Goa , Mumbai this is AFAIK, rest india im not sure. However my point was on renting the Toilets. instead of constructing them. I had not meant the entire vehicle, However if you are living near these areas or if commute to this area is not a problem , then i think its better to rent than own and maintain RV's.

1. caravan does not solve the 2 car problem. and as it would be rarely used will need prepping and preventive maintenance
3. caravans are very expensive to make. and they're not very fun to drive as 4 wheelers as well.
Few questions from a novice here!. So will it be convenient to drive an SUV on Indian road conditions with a trailer attached? How about hairpin bends, steep roads (Its meant for camping, holidaying so I am asking) enroute hill stations etc?. I have seen people attaching such things (speed boats and jet skis too) to GMC, Hummer etc only. But our sophisticated SUVs in Indian market are muscular enough to pull such heavy things on its tail?. Questions on legality, vehicle category are extra!
I have this owning a caravan dream since I first watched 'Swades' movie[lol]! But they are no way affordable for me! But I believe people can build caravans at lesser costs as a DIY (with some local tinker, painter, carpenter helps and lots of time), its no rocket science to be priced at big millions as they are doing!. Enthusiasts, please give it a good thought, by the mean time have a look at some caravan tour pics by Motorhome India

Last edited:
407.jpg Buy a Second hand 407--it need not be only SUV, build a Trunk not too much money. Mind you this is affordable to most of them. Facilities, include as per your needs. hows that. Even a D.G can be carried in the same set up in case you plan on camping. on roof thats the AC fitted, near the rear tyres you see a Door thats for the generator. you can include Bed, Plasma or LED TV. Amplifiers for theatre effect. Nice refrigerator, as well as toilet and bath for which a additional motor and tank on the roof can be provided for lifting as well as storage of water. A 407 second hand comes as cheap as a 1 lac

Last edited:

Top Bottom