The One and Only - Pawan Goenka

Thread Starter #1
aupij.jpg

Well,guys today I was reading my ACI magazine and was busy looking at what won what award on the name of car/bike of the year and suddenly my eyes caught something different,it was Autocar India MAN OF THE YEAR AWARD and guess who on this award?You are quite spot on,the person is 'Mr.Pawan Goenka',President – Automotive & Farm Equipment Sectors(M&M).

Well,today if anybody knows M&M,then 'Pawan Goenka' is the name which automatically comes to the mind,here is what Mahindra Rise says about this man:-

Often referred to as the father of the Scorpio, Pawan is President of the Automotive and Farm Equipment sectors of the Group. He joined Mahindra in October 1993 as a General Manager, R&D. In April 2003 he was appointed COO of the Automotive sector, in September 2005 he became President, and in April 2010 he assumed his current role leading both the Automotive and Farm Equipment sectors.

Pawan holds a Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering from IIT, Kanpur. Post his Engineering degree, he earned his PhD from Cornell University, USA. He’s also a graduate of the Harvard Business School Advanced Management Program. He is an internationally acknowledged scientist-manager with several citations to his credit.

Before joining Mahindra, Pawan spent 14 years with General Motors (GM) in Detroit, USA and is credited with pioneering research in engine design and development. His methods for the analysis of engine bearings and engine friction are still in use 20 years later, and in 2007 he was honored as Man of the Year by Autocar Professional, India’s leading auto magazine. In 2011, he was named Automotive Man of the Year at the annual NDTV Car & Bike Awards. He is a fellow of SAE International and of the Indian National Academy of Engineers. He is currently President of SIAM (Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers).

When not thinking about automobiles, Pawan can be found watching Bollywood movies or playing cards. He lives in Mumbai with his wife, who volunteers her time to counsel cancer patients and help them receive proper treatment and post-operative care. They have two children.

This is what Autocar India says about him:-
Pawan Goenka has been at the helm of the Mahindra Automotive business since September 2005 and has helped translate the automaker's global vision into reality with 2011 being a landmark year.He has put his stamp most emphatically on his company,driving into the global arena like no other.Last March he sealed first overseas acquisition of the 61-year-old company.He also launched M&M's first global SUV,the XUV500,and has laid the ground for new products in electric vehicles.

A true blue engineer,a pure R&D person in his own words,Goenka joined M&M in 1993 lad the team that built the Scorpio,one of India's best known SUV marquees.Since taking over as head of automotive division,he has closely supervised every M&M product launched ever since.In 2010 he engineered the buyout of Reva,a niche Indian electric vehicle maker,with the aim of carving niche in this technology of the future.

The 'architect of M&M's new global vision',he has gradually translated his vision into actual results.For his outstanding achievements and contribution,Pawan Goenka is our Bloomberg-UTV Autocar's choice of 'Man of the Year'.

This is what I say:-
In 1990,everyone knew that Mahindra=Maxi cabs,Jeeps and Tractors.
In 1995,everyone knew that Mahindra=Maxi cabs,Commander,JEEPS and India's best tractors.
In 2000,everyone knew that Mahindra=Mini buses,JEEPS,Tractors.
In 2005,everyone knew Mahindra as a competitive car maker providing some great vehicles such as Bolero and Scorpio.
In 2012,I really don't need to tell what M&M has became now...and I owe this change in M&M to only one man...HATS OFF TO MR. GOENKA..

Re: The one and only PAWAN GOENKA..

Great man. Really happy to see the 'Rise of Mahindra' in the last few years.

Excellent thread Vipul.

Mr. Goenka very well deserves to have that title. If one wants to see the real rise of M&M (Automobiles), he just needs to look at the Jeeps of 90's and then have glance at the all new XUV 5OO. The glance says it all.

25k bookings for XUV shows peoples trust in M&M now , all possible because of such talented people M&M got.

The man behind Mahindra's transformation from crude UVs to a modern SUV. M&M has got great potential, especially when they enter the volume market with mini-XUV.

I totally respect & adore him. He is great inspiration to all of us.

Another person i admire from the same group is Mr. Anand Mahindra. What's commendable about him is that, inspite of being the Chairman, he is there to listen to every customer of Mahindra. He is very very active on Twitter & updates about everything that the company is upto & also responds to every customer complaints & issues. I have read about many cases where a customer had some issue with their vehicle & it got solved promptly because Mr. Anand intervened.

Top Bottom