The Namesake of Indian Cars

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai i10 and Maruti K-10. Sounds rather similar. Doesn't it? That's what happened today with a customer when I was at Maruti Suzuki Dealership. All of sudden a person dropped in and confidently asked the sales man that he is interested in i10. For a moment, the sales man was puzzled. He said that this is not the right dealership for i10. The confused customer then said I think A10? Aha, the sales man understood and replied back. You mean K10? Yes, he said.

After listening to this conversation, I realized that the name of a car does matter a lot. Most of the manufacturers perform a thorough market research while deciding on the name before releasing a product so that the names do not conflict and are not confusing either. Yet, at times, such incidents happen. Though, there have been some examples in the past when a manufacturer sued another for keeping a similar name. Recall the Honda City and TVS Star City case? Or a recent one, Suzuki Splash and Ford Splash? Similarly, K10 and i10 could be confusing for a typical new buyer. I'm sure we can find more such instances. Let’s put ‘em up in this thread.

k10-i10.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
what can happen in the future is Yamaha Scorpio and Mahindra Scorpio.
True. I was too wondering same, but most likely even if Yamaha launches Scorpio bike in India; they will need to re-brand it. Just imagine when Honda can sue TVS for using the name Star “City”, how much objection would Mahindra have for using the entire name of their car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
i think the most stand-out-of-the-crowd name is a-star. nobody can match it. :P
This time TVS has a chance to reciprocate what happened with them in past (Not with the same carmaker though). :wink:

Drive Safe,
350Z

I thinks its us the people that is the real problem behind this. We have become dumber than before.

A long time ago, There were the AX-100, the RX-100 the KB 100 and the CD 100. No one had trouble recognising the brand or name. Well on the other hand there were just a handful of automobiles and people were not always busy like they are today.

I for instance need my calculator to do any simple maths that my mom could do faster and easier in her mind. Gadgets have made us idiots I suppose.

But still the automakers need to do something about this confusion anyway, since they are selling their wares to people who can't differentiate between brands because they sound similar. Its a modern day disability.

Yeah jalex , the gadgets make us idiots hmm lazy too.
My dad calculates with out a calc faster than me, err most of the time i end up confusing , redo twice to confirm .

Yeah , Name is much important to a car .
Manufacturer must name them accordingly for the lazy people.

I have head ladies in my home saying tata innova , tata santro , some times the weird one , "maruti hyundai"

A catch name is a must

ilango[speed thirst];64296 said:
Yeah jalex , the gadgets make us idiots hmm lazy too.
My dad calculates with out a calc faster than me, err most of the time i end up confusing , redo twice to confirm .

Yeah , Name is much important to a car .
Manufacturer must name them accordingly for the lazy people.

I have head ladies in my home saying tata innova , tata santro , some times the weird one , "maruti hyundai"

A catch name is a must
tata santro [lol]

I never get confuse with name but yes people do get confuse lot .

I've seen long back people coming into the TVS showroom to buy the Suzuki "Samirudai" or Suzuki "Sumeria" also known as "Sumania". They had even learnt the catch phrase "Don problem bike" [lol] .

Last edited:
Ha ha some very funny experiences shared here by members!

But i feel apart from car enthusiasts like us there are some people in the society who buy a car just for the status and prestige(No am not talking about Lambo's and Ferrari's here). For them they need a car just to travel from point A to point B. They don know anything about a car. And i strongly feel those are the people who make such kind of mistakes and confuse with names!

Sorry no offence meant to anybody , just my view!

Top Bottom