The Mighty Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Drives In [210+ BHP Remap]

Thread Starter #16
Re: The Mighty Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Drives In

Congrats on your new SUV . Wish you happy million miles with it . Hope you can take this SUV anywhere off and on Tarmac now which sometimes the xuv was not able to .
Thank you sir, this purchase has actually made me realise(again) what a super vfm XUV was - i had got it for less than half the price of the pajero and the mhawk in terms of performance and drive-ability (onroad) can give these top guns a run for its money.

Thank you sir, this purchase has actually made me realise(again) what a super vfm XUV was - i had got it for less than half the price of the pajero and the mhawk in terms of performance and drive-ability (onroad) can give these top guns a run for its money.
Sir I was talking about the places where taking any car without proper off roading capabilities is not advisable plus driving it on road too . In that context the pajero I hope can install more confidence then the xuv hence the comment .

It's not about value proposition here iam talking , it's about a *particular * quality / ability in one car which excels when relatively compared to other . I think your basic requirement was off-roading which I had gathered from your thread which you had started before buying the SUV hence the comment that you can take it anywhere on and off road were the xuv was not able to.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18

Err i think its futile to compare xuv and Pajero and probably the only reason we are is because i have one each - they compliment each other perfectly is my view, they come from completely opposite spectrums and built for different purposes. Its futile to even think about xuv's offroad capability.

In my books and my way of looking at things XUV is the best 7 seater diesel soft roader in that range and Pajero the best on-off roader combination at the range - period.
My requirement was something bulletproof on and off road and for years to come - only 2 cut the bar at that price point.

Last edited:

Congratulations IR,
I am always fascinated by the Mitsubishi vehicles be it the Legendary lancer, The Pajero or the Montero. I even considered buying a Lancer at some point of time but the After sales Service of HM/Mitsu just scares the hell out of me.
I can just hope that Mitsubishi revamps their sales and ASS in India so that by the time I am up for a change(hoping Optimus should survive a decade of abuse) they become a strong contender.

Congratulations once again. Subscribing to the thread for more updates.

Thread Starter #20

You are right Kinshuk , after sales would be most of worries with buying the Pajero, as a vehicle it is bullet proof, while browsing other forums, i came across many individuals who are willing to buy a 4 lakh run pajero sport in the used market and it is stock bore!

I did a little research to pacify myself as well and atleast in MH i dont see this a problem for myself as there are 2 service centres in pune, i think 3 in mumbai, then nagpur, kolhapur, aurangabad, goa and one coming up in nasik shortly.

Now coming to first service report :-

I had heard a lot of good things about J WIlliams which is a authorised service center in pune , one of the oldest HM dealer in the country, its a place where you can find a trekker being serviced alongside the latest montero/pajeros - founded in 1930! I had spoken to the service manager Nilesh here even before buying the car just to get a feel. I am most impressed with the boys here especially to name Nilesh, Sachin and Hanif - having spent more than half a day with them.

The Pajero Sport has service intervals as follows as per official lingo :-

1k/10k/20k/30k/40k/50k/60k or 6 months.

The 6 months part is a little bummer , 1 year would have been ideal, looks like i have some work to do [:D]

The 1k service is merely an inspection and at best topping up essential fluids. I had requested for suspension torquing which was anyways part of their checklist. The front upper/lower arms especially. The car was jacked up and all checked to my hearts content, am now a fan of the Pajero under body, reeks build quality. First oil change is at 10k and subsequently as per above schedule, I will nevertheless do it every 10k.

IMG_20131231_103128.jpg

IMG_20131231_103159.jpg

Cleaned up the air filter

IMG_20131231_104738.jpg

Many Pajero SFX at the service centre, including one with Goodrich offroad tyres, arb type bumpers and a custom fitted snorkel, apparently the owner was a die hard offroader.

IMG_20131231_105227.jpg

IMG_20131231_105237.jpg

Cleaning up post service

IMG_20131231_114129.jpg

IMG_20131231_114640.jpg

Look closely there is a HM trekker standing next to a more modern machine

IMG_20131231_124558.jpg

Spanking clean and back to business

IMG_20140105_091939.jpg

I would rate J Williams a 10/10 for their effort and 10/10 for the knowledge they display - i must admit i came out surprised and to add to the surprise, the very next day got a call from HM customer service asking to rate the experience. Baby steps in the right direction! Cost of service - 0 Rs.

Last edited:

Definitely you have to work now. See if you can get even HM to change the timely duration for service to just distance.[;)]

If in any way Mitsubishi/HM increases the number of centers in Tier 2 cities they should get a considerable amount of sales.

Last edited:

Master Rock,

1. Dirty pictures please.

2. How does the cruise control behave on highways? Any hesitation/jerks while declutching/braking/accelerating?

3. Whats the rpm in top gear at 80/90/100/110/120 kmph?

4. How is the headlamp beam spread? Can they spot a Gorilla on a dark rainy night on an empty road?

5. I am sure you havent had to do any emergency braking manouevre but still, would love to know how much of an effort does the ABS have to make to stop this HULK?

6. 4H on the highway/ghats? How's it? How much does it affect the fuel efficency (no naughty MID figures please; in tankfull to tankfull we trust).

7. How is the front/rear/lateral visibility?

8. Would it be successful in negotiating the articulation pits that you encountered at the Force Motors track during the Gurkha (what's that:suspect:?) test drive?

9. How are the Apollos in terms of grip and noise on the highway? Rumour mongers say that these tires last really long.

10. Could you post a snap of the crankcase breather pipe and the air intake?

11. What is the factory fill/OEM oil brand/grade?

12. Whats the oil change interval for the differential?

13. Dirty pictures puhleez.

14. Does it have a drive by wire anything?

15. Crawl ratio in various modes - see if you could get it from somewhere.

16. This elephant looks incomplete without its trunk. What are the plans for a snorkel? Its available as a ready to fit kit and is not more than a couple of hours job.
Screenshot_2014-02-01-10-30-36-1.png

17. How well does the power steerring weigh up at speed/how is it at parking speeds?

18. How is the engine noise on a cold start?

19. Pics of underbonnet noise insulation please.

20. How much does the laden/unladen ride quality differ at different speeds and on different terrain?

22. 4L. Dont give it a step motherly fatherly treatment. Ma Earth can take it.

23. When do we get to see a Pajero Sport Vs Mahindra Tractor thread?

24. AARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!! Dirty pictures pretty pink pleaseeeee[frustration].

Thread Starter #25

Master Rock,

1. Dirty pictures please.
Gun Master Dinkar, your wish is my command, since you cannot wait for the running in to happen i had to do a special photoshoot

IMG_20131129_172007.jpg

2. How does the cruise control behave on highways? Any hesitation/jerks while declutching/braking/accelerating?
Ill post a separate report on the cruise control setup shortly.

3. Whats the rpm in top gear at 80/90/100/110/120 kmph?
never did 120 yet - max 110 usually staying in 90-100kmph with the rpm just under 2k.

4. How is the headlamp beam spread? Can they spot a Gorilla on a dark rainy night on an empty road?
I found it pretty average, its not too great and its not bad either. No Gorillas in MH , problem solved!

5. I am sure you havent had to do any emergency braking manouevre but still, would love to know how much of an effort does the ABS have to make to stop this HULK?
Not tried as yet. But braking stability is exceptional and so is braking distance.
Some data from Autocarindia :- Pajero Sport vs Fortuner vs Endeavour | Feature | Autocar India

6. 4H on the highway/ghats? How's it? How much does it affect the fuel efficency (no naughty MID figures please; in tankfull to tankfull we trust).
I havent tested 4h yet on ghats, its a test case for the next run, this weekend was all about testing the cruise control. I have used 4h in city for the heck of it, dont have enough data yet to talk on fe impact.

Two tankfuls measured yet :-

1) 12.4kmpl
2) 12.98kmpl

Both includes a 50-50 city/highway run, the mid in both cases hasnt varied by over .1kmpl - so i am beginning to finally trust some mid.

7. How is the front/rear/lateral visibility?
Front and lateral pretty good, rear as expected is average to less. Hence you need sensors/cameras

8. Would it be successful in negotiating the articulation pits that you encountered at the Force Motors track during the Gurkha (what's that?) test drive?
As far as negotiating it is concerned, it would be a walk in the park, however would it have hit somewhere is the question i cant answer for sure, long wheel base comes with cons.

9. How are the Apollos in terms of grip and noise on the highway? Rumour mongers say that these tires last really long.
Early to say, but normal roads behaviour/grip is ok, yet to test in wet conditions.
Lets see how long they last.

10. Could you post a snap of the crankcase breather pipe and the air intake?
Air intake visible here, top of the bonnet, so as high as it could be within the bay.

PCV, here is an internet image, too lazy to remove the engine cover for just a pic.:tongue:

PCV_Valve_For_Mitsubishi_Pajero_Montero_Outlander.jpg

11. What is the factory fill/OEM oil brand/grade?
Synthetic, Brand Motul 8100 X-cess , SAE 5W-40

12. Whats the oil change interval for the differential?
Ill revert, need to check manual, i had read but forgotten

13. Dirty pictures puhleez.
Control the fetish please [lol], a pic attached above , more post running in, check out the videos on the first page though.

14. Does it have a drive by wire anything?
Yes FBW.

15. Crawl ratio in various modes - see if you could get it from somewhere.
I have been searching for months now [roll]

16. This elephant looks incomplete without its trunk. What are the plans for a snorkel? Its available as a ready to fit kit and is not more than a couple of hours job.
No Plans right now, and to be honest fording is the one thing i want to avoid in offroading + drilling and making holes on the body i dont want to do any of that early on. I cant convince myself to do it just for looks. Not yet.

17. How well does the power steering weigh up at speed/how is it at parking speeds?
The steering is super taut at slow speeds and very direct/precise, its weighed kind of similar to the civic, xuv feels super light in comparison.

18. How is the engine noise on a cold start?
The clatters are close in the Pajero Sport if you see what i am trying to mean, compared to the t-Fort or the XUV , it hence sounds more refined to the ear , in terms of db its in similar range, though i do think t-fort might be slightly higher.

19. Pics of underbonnet noise insulation please.

20. How much does the laden/unladen ride quality differ at different speeds and on different terrain?

I havent driven very long to have detailed data around this, but on the outset the difference seems negligible.

To describe the suspension , check out 0.42 in this video

Unseen Sholay-Gabbar Kills Sachin - YouTube

22. 4L. Dont give it a step motherly fatherly treatment. Ma Earth can take it.
Tried a few times yet, so no step motherly treatment , running in nice and easy.

23. When do we get to see a Pajero Sport Vs Mahindra Tractor thread?
The tractor is seriously pissed off, i did attempt to plough the field using the pajero - it was too easy. It needs something more, slow and steady though.

24. AARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!! Dirty pictures pretty pink pleaseeeee.
And again, but i did make sure i included pink as well in the above image. Feel free to zoom in![evil]

What about the bumper like below image??
I like this one , basic but very utilitarian - whats the cost of this any idea ?

Super review IR sir and once again congrats on your Paj.This is my second favourite after T-Fort.
Thank you sir, second best is not too bad yaayy!

Last edited:

Congrats IR on your new acquisition.

Pardon my ignorance, of not knowing about the thread.

Wish you miles of Safe and Happy Motoring.

I like this one , basic but very utilitarian - whats the cost of this any idea ?
Just checked on ebay australia. It ranges from $900 to $1300 depending on the brand and material used. One may get it cheaper, if does the intensive digging. [evil]

I would recommend, if you are planning to put it, do that only if and when your OEM bumper needs replacement. [;)] No logic, Just Gujju dimag. [lol]

An off- topic question.

What was the reaction from your political friend after seeing your pajero sport?

I recollect he had some opinion about the XUV and the Storme too.[;)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #29

Just checked on ebay australia. It ranges from $900 to $1300 depending on the brand and material used. One may get it cheaper, if does the intensive digging. [evil]

I would recommend, if you are planning to put it, do that only if and when your OEM bumper needs replacement. No logic, Just Gujju dimag.
Gujju Dhimag is the best in the business, i like it. Dont mend what aint broken.
To be perfectly honest i have never ever modded any of my cars, everything kept bone stock. This is first time in fitting a DRL - my experience on this front is very limited and hence i might be triple cautious doing things.

An off- topic question.

What was the reaction from your political friend after seeing your pajero sport?

I recollect he had some opinion about the XUV and the Storme too.[;)]
I havent bumped in to him yet - thank god for that! But i do get plenty of reactions on the road - a red pajero sport is impossible to miss in the streets !
The best so far was a guy who was telling his friend that this is the new fortuner [frustration]. Most cant spell Mitsubishi correctly leave alone knowing it well. I keep nodding my head!

Master Rock, sorry for bumping in late, heartiest congratulations once again on your red beauty.
Agree that its impossible to miss a red pajero.Wish you many happy miles with it.Subscribed to this thread.

Top Bottom