The Mighty Kiney – Kinetic Honda DX ‘92

Thread Starter #1

deville_56

Honoured Member
2013-11-25 07-16-05.jpg

Nothing much to write as an ownership thread. Restored in memory of my dad. The machine I almost grew up with, which I wished to mod/ride all my childhood, which dad never did, the machine that never let him down, the machine that keeps me happy now, the machine that polished my patience, so and so. Now my trusted daily commute machine, my best companion.

History: Kiney was bought 2nd hand from a doctor in 1993-94 with very little reading on ODO. This is the second Kiney dad buying, first one was a 91, which developed engine trouble, which mechs of that time were not able to rectify. Kiney was an owner’s pride, neighbors envy kinda machine that time. No gears, no oil mixing, self start, funky sound, etc., etc. Which ever garage you take it, they pursue hard to sell to them. Even 5 years back, one workshop guy quoted 10k the time other Kinetics were going scrap or cheap like 3k max. The time I took over, it remained idle for more than a year and came to life in 4-5 kicks.

Kiney was a bright red model, which was converted to Black after an accident and then Metallic Grey by me.

My era: Kiney was parked when dad fell ill. Remained idle for long time. I was using it for a brief period of some 2-3 months before that and screwed it up and dad never gave me again. After his death, everyone was telling to scrap it. The time was nearing for 20-year retest. I had only 2 options – Scrap it or Restore it. Decided to restore it. Every workshop guys were saying same thing, are you mad to spend a lot on such old scooter, which don’t even fetch 1/3rd the amount. Cost quoted in making it retest worthy was an average of 10-13k, minus tire and tidbits. Had a very tight budget and decided to fix it myself. Started off with stripping and DIY painting, but tight work schedule and date nearing I had to get it painted outside. Then also most were quoting 5-6k, and one local painted set the deal for 3.5k. Got it done there, decent quality, can’t argue for more at that price. Threw away spare tire, added new grab rail, painted the plastics myself, new light, new number plates, new nuts and bolts, new tires, new battery, reworked seats, Kiney was ready to roll. Engine was in perfect condition. It had already done 1’11’3xx km. Now 1’19’6xx in 1.25 years, 25 km daily use.

Riding experience: Incomparable handling, I can even lean and scrape the foot peg. If won’t go beyond 50 kmph, reaching 60 from 50 needs another 2 km of road. 20 years of 40 kmph made it so. Still I was very happy with it. 90% of the time it came to life in just 1 crank. Mind blowing acceleration. Most of the time, I will be leading from the red light (but only till I reach 50 :D). Recently rebuilt engine, now much more smoother and better performing. Now it can take more than 50 kmph, but I don’t want to push it more. I am loving the 40 kmph now. Enjoying every meter of road is incomparable, with an end product called “Patience.” Now my daily commute in this only, taking Barricade only on weekends and highway rides. Giving steady 45+ kmpl. Running only on semisynthetic 2T oil, little to no smoke.

Troubles: Ran without oil and the engine started showing troubles. Then gave it to a friend one day, he ripped more and engine was done. It used to stall at every traffic light. Once had to take bus to home as it refused to start. Engine had to be rebuilt then. Ride it for more than 25 km in a stretch and balls and ass will get numb, that is the only issue, thanks to the bloody seat guy.

This is one boring write-up, I know.

Additions from stock:
TVS Olivia 100/90-10 rear tire. (Love wider tires).
Original 90’s Kinetic Honda grab rail without spare wheel holder. (Got it from scrap dealer and got powder coated, I was looking for Kinetic Campus Chills’ grab rail).
R15 foot pegs (Just tried the ones bought for Vichu and it fitted perfectly).
Unicorn rear view mirrors.
Unicorn handlebar end (somebody stole it).
Clear lens headlamp, tail lamp and indicators from Kinetic 4S.
Maintenance-free battery.
NGK G-Power platinum-tipped spark plug.
Standard size rear number plate.
Halogen bulbs.
FZ horn.
FZ handle grips.
Carbon fiber wraps and stripes.

Wish list:
Better painting with clear coat.
Kinetic Campus Chill ladies step (so that I can take mom out).
Tubeless tires.
LED indicator and tail lamp.
Embossed number plates.
Full DC wiring.

Parts replaced so far:
Cone set.
Speedometer glass.
Front mudguard.
Speedometer panel.
Headlight panel.
Indicator screw cover panel.
Number plate clamps.
Number plates.
Center stand.
Brake levers.
Indicator flasher.
Air filter.
Engine bearing.
Engine packing kits.
Drive belt.
Oil switch.
Oil pump.
Kicker lever.
Front shocks.
Wheel bearings.
Indicator switch.
Foundation bush.

Hi Devil! Nice write up! Even my mom has a 91 Kinetic Honda and we ride that whenever we go to my native. I would love to restore it to original condition but no sure if any garage will do that. Even I am worried about getting parts.

Thread Starter #5

deville_56

Honoured Member
Original shape back in 2010

2010-06-10 07-32-19 c.jpg

Started stripping.

2012-06-24 08-29-13.jpg

Original Keihen Carb. 20+ years back they had auto-choke, ages before Bajaj even thought of making Pulsars.

2012-06-24 08-29-29.jpg

2012-06-24 08-30-04.jpg

After TD to check what all mechanical stuff needs to be replaced.

2012-07-02 13-31-02.jpg

Did this even before, stripping down completely [evil]

2012-07-30 08-23-44.jpg

Almost there.

2012-08-01 09-14-40.jpg

Rebuild begins. Cleaned everything with diesel. Painted chassis, engine, rims, etc., black.

2012-08-04 10-49-56.jpg

Painted panels arrived.

2012-08-04 10-52-52.jpg

DRLs in the testing (Not working now, LEDs blew off)

2012-08-05 09-43-16.jpg

New tail lamp and all plastic panels on.

2012-08-05 14-39-08.jpg

New rear tyre. 100/90-10.

2012-08-05 14-40-20.jpg

Fixed broken speedo needles and wrapped them in red.

2012-08-05 14-41-37.jpg

Finally on August 5th, 2012, The Mighty Kiney started rolling again from 1-lakh-11-thousand-3-hundred-83 kms.

Last edited:
Wow superb man! I think the paint job is awesome, can you post a recent pic of the bike. How are the inner plastics? have you painted them as well. Finding mechanics willing to do Kinetic Honda repairs/service is a big challenge for sure.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

deville_56

Honoured Member
First day of rolling.

2012-08-07 10-28-35.jpg

2012-08-07 09-47-49.jpg

Then in the wild.

2012-08-12 18-28-48.jpg

2012-08-12 18-29-43.jpg

Custom DRL.

2012-08-12 20-56-41.jpg

After adding Unicorn Mirrors.

2013-01-11 08-07-30.jpg

Nightmare of every 2-strokers. Improper oil mixing/improper carb tune. Brand new plug after 2k km of use. Changed to platinum plug then.

2013-01-31 17-28-09.jpg

Changing plug is pain in ass without the wrench. Exhaust was rusted and most of the mounts were loose, but intact. Still looking for Y2Kinetic exhaust for the neat note it makes. All of the shops got only the stock old Kinetic Honda-type exhaust. Welded and painted the exhaust recently. Sound perfectly tuned like Y2Kinetic's by our most trusted mech.

2013-01-31 17-28-26.jpg

Fourth bulb in a month, thanks to the packed up RR unit.

2013-07-24 16-20-31.jpg

One fine lazy evening.

2013-08-02-17-56-13.jpg

There goes the R15 footpegs and the racing stripes.

2013-10-23 07-01-25.jpg

2013-10-23 07-02-48.jpg

First sight, today morning.

2013-11-25 07-15-26.jpg

Mighty father, Mighty Son.

2013-11-25 07-18-47.jpg

Thread Starter #8

deville_56

Honoured Member
Thanks All.

Hi Devil! Nice write up! Even my mom has a 91 Kinetic Honda and we ride that whenever we go to my native. I would love to restore it to original condition but no sure if any garage will do that. Even I am worried about getting parts.
Most of the parts are still available except the body panel. Only issue is finding a good mech. Luckily I got a guy running Honda garage, still running his old Kinetic workshop and 2 shops stocking most of the Kinetic parts. Since you are in Bangalore, you got more access to parts in JC Road.

Wow superb man! I think the paint job is awesome, can you post a recent pic of the bike. How are the inner plastics? have you painted them as well. Finding mechanics willing to do Kinetic Honda repairs/service is a big challenge for sure.
Pics are up. Painted the plastics. Applied plastic primer and sprayed matt black with aerosol. Parts and service available here as of now, but dunno for how long.

Thread Starter #10

deville_56

Honoured Member
Goddammit how did I manage to miss this thread for so long

So how is the old warhorse doing?
Still running fine in full glory. Up until 2-3 weeks ago, it was clocking 25 km daily. Now using only as a runabout as I am being provided with office cab, now limited to max 20 km a week.

Was expecting to touch 1.25L km this year, but [cry]. Now 1.23L only.

Only issue with the Kiney is uneven front tyre wear. There is a slight bend in chassis, but not even noticeable. Apart from tyre wear, there is not even an indication of misalignment.

Planning to upgrade to tubeless.

Very nice, honest writeup. Tell me more about the engine rebuild. My 1996 Kinetic Honda is lying dismantled for the last 4 years for want of a block piston kit, crank, and bearings (so simple , two stroke[clap]). I dont want to go for a rebore or a new sleeve.

Thread Starter #13

deville_56

Honoured Member
Very nice, honest writeup. Tell me more about the engine rebuild. My 1996 Kinetic Honda is lying dismantled for the last 4 years for want of a block piston kit, crank, and bearings (so simple , two stroke). I dont want to go for a rebore or a new sleeve.
Thank you thank you. It was not a serious rebuild as per the mech. Bearings and packings changed. Polished port. There was some damage in crank or something, that was corrected in lathe. Also replaced the oil pump.Still block and piston are stock [evil].

Actually I asked him to change the entire kit, he didn't do it saying it's the original kit from 90s and later ones never matched the quality. I am getting lot of admiration, sale query and envied stares. Market price for a good Kiney is 3-4k max, retested ones 8k. I got offer 20k [lol]

One suggestion, think of having badges on side panels.

car badges | eBay
I like it plain and simple [:D]

Rs. 20000!!! Wow[clap]!! Dont sell it though.

I cant see how the 'later' kits wont match the quality of the 90s bore. My brother screwed my immaculate Kinetic Honda ('96) and the block lasted only for some 50000 odd km. There is some talk about some Usha kit but I am doubtful if it'd be any good. No aftermarket parts can match factory machining quality.

Someday if I come down South, shall love to see your Kinetic Honda.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

deville_56

Honoured Member
Rs. 20000!!! Wow[clap]!! Dont sell it though.
Will never sell it [evil]

I cant see how the 'later' kits wont match the quality of the 90s bore. My brother screwed my immaculate Kinetic Honda ('96) and the block lasted only for some 50000 odd km. There is some talk about some Usha kit but I am doubtful if it'd be any good. No aftermarket parts can match factory machining quality.
Dunno whether a myth or not, most mechs worked on this said engine is "Japan" though never digested that [roll].

USHA makes kit for most of the brands, (the USHA fan company). Kinetic Engineering used to make OEM parts for other brands, even now doing for Nano, but its funny someone else making parts for them.

Someday if I come down South, shall love to see your Kinetic Honda.
Anyday with pleasure.

Top Bottom