The Mighty Kiney – Kinetic Honda DX ‘92

Thread Starter #31

deville_56

Honoured Member
bharathbigb;407997 couldn't understand an see the difference with the Local and Philips Bulb.[/QUOTE said:
Local ones are feeble and almost invisible during daytime.

If you don't mind,I have an Idea to boost up it's looks.Just Silver line that edge of the 2 wheels.Like the Onle dont to the RTR 180 ABS.I will show a picture below.
Rim stripes are already in todo list, but only after getting new rims to put tubeless. Don't want much flashy stuff on it.

Anyways Very well maintained sir.I've Never seen such a Maintained Kiney in Years.My Mom used to have one.It was the 1994 ZX White Version.That Cycle-bell Like sound it gave when it has Started,Was pure Music to Ears ! And that Ride Quality is still Unmatched.Still remember it now.
Thank You Thank You.

BTW,What is the fastest you've gone in your Kinetic Honda sir ? Thank you
Not a speed guy, tried some 50-60 on it, usually runs 40-50. Never bothered of topend [:D]

No no! Not that !
I tried to ask whether yours revs high or not. Because the Kinetics of others I drove will rev like Scooty ES. Scooty ES never goes to high revs. It will just stay in the same rev and picks up speed slowly and when crossed the 50 knph mark, then only they will rev high.
Never rode a Scooty ES.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #33

deville_56

Honoured Member
Changed air filter and spark plug today.

The filter box

2014-10-09 09-24-06.JPG

Opened.

2014-10-09 09-25-41.JPG

Old filter plus frame.

2014-10-09 09-26-40.JPG

Filter foam removed from frame. 4T oil for soaking.

2014-10-09 09-30-12.JPG

Soaked filter.

2014-10-09 09-35-25.JPG

New filter on frame, ready to install.

2014-10-09 09-37-26.JPG

Old and new plug. Old one was cleaned last week.

2014-10-09 09-44-58.JPG

Needle tipped and flat tipped.

2014-10-09 09-45-23.JPG

Made in Japan

2014-10-09 09-46-24.JPG

Model: NGK BPR7HGP

2014-10-09 09-46-46.JPG

That is Great Update for Sure.I am very Sorry to tell you this but I see Lot of Rust in The Inside Mudguard Holder Thingy,Yeah That Steel Rim that is located near the Air Filter Box and which Runs Through the Mudguard .Also The Engine Gearcase's Paint is Dull.Try to Re-Paint it in Matt Black so It retains it's Glory !!

Thread Starter #35

deville_56

Honoured Member
That is Great Update for Sure.I am very Sorry to tell you this but I see Lot of Rust in The Inside Mudguard Holder Thingy,Yeah That Steel Rim that is located near the Air Filter Box and which Runs Through the Mudguard .Also The Engine Gearcase's Paint is Dull.Try to Re-Paint it in Matt Black so It retains it's Glory !!
Casing was painted last year. all wear and tear scratches. Mudguard holder is not seriously rusted, it's mostly oil and petrol plus dirt, still there is little rust.

Thread Starter #36

deville_56

Honoured Member
After changing the plug and filter, cold start and hot start issues resolved. Today, it started at 1st crank after untouched for 2 days. Normally it would require kicking 4-5 times, now no probs. In recent times, there has been issue that required kick starting when engine is warm. It is also gone. I believe the crap plug caused all the trouble.

Normally it would require kicking 4-5 times, now no probs.
Nothing to do with your post, but still, I have seen many Kinetic Honda users who just do not know how to use the kick starter correctly so that the scooter fires in the first or at the very max second kick.

What they'd do is 'kattakk kattakkk' motion where the kicking action is broken 2 or three times per shove of the foot.

My Kinetic Honda, for all its life, in all weather conditions, started on first/second kick. I remember multiple occassions where some hapless chap would be standing by the side of the road going 'kattakk kattakkk' with his Kinetic Honda and then I'd lend him a hand (leg?) and kick start his scooter in one/two kick(s).

When I look back, I think I just used the kick starter the way it was designed to be used. One single, firm, unbroken kick, starting from the top (there is a few mm play in the kick starter once it is unfolded and depressed from its topmost position - that is the point where the kicking effort should begin) and culminating till the last point where it will go.

Instead of 'kattakk kattakkk', it should be 'Satakkkkk'.

And the Kinetic Homda would fire. Cheers[cheers]!!

Thread Starter #38

deville_56

Honoured Member
Nothing to do with your post, but still, I have seen many Kinetic Honda users who just do not know how to use the kick starter correctly so that the scooter fires in the first or at the very max second kick.

What they'd do is 'kattakk kattakkk' motion where the kicking action is broken 2 or three times per shove of the foot.

My Kinetic Honda, for all its life, in all weather conditions, started on first/second kick. I remember multiple occassions where some hapless chap would be standing by the side of the road going 'kattakk kattakkk' with his Kinetic Honda and then I'd lend him a hand (leg?) and kick start his scooter in one/two kick(s).

When I look back, I think I just used the kick starter the way it was designed to be used. One single, firm, unbroken kick, starting from the top (there is a few mm play in the kick starter once it is unfolded and depressed from its topmost position - that is the point where the kicking effort should begin) and culminating till the last point where it will go.

Instead of 'kattakk kattakkk', it should be 'Satakkkkk'.

And the Kinetic Homda would fire. Cheers[cheers]!!
Even my brother don't know to kick it up. He tried 20-25 times overflowing it. Normally I would kick it up in 1-2 kicks even in the horrible cold or 1 month being unused. Only recently with clogged plugs it required 4-5 kickings aka kattakk kattakk kattakk kattakk satakk [lol]

My Kinetic Honda doesn't have a battery. So no self-start or nothing. Only Kick-start. What I will do is I will turn off the key(ignition) and just kick 3-5 times and then I will wait. Then I will turn the key ON and OFF and then turn the ON and then kick it a single time. The engine will fire up shouting.

But no problem now! I am not using the above mentioned technicque now. I set the AFR settings and Idling in a special setting (thanks to my mechanic. don't ask me what is the setting as I dont know the setting.). I will kick a single time and the engine fires up rapidly and suddenly raises to a higher RPM and after driving 100-200 mts, its idling will become too low (fpr mileage purposes).

P.S. : I have bigger jets than stock and having HP Filter installed. Maybe this is the cause for the quick/rapid start[glasses]

Thread Starter #40

deville_56

Honoured Member
As long as there is no compression loss or clogging, any decent kiney will start with 1-2 crank or kicks. High rpm initially is the autochoke enabling. After warming up, the autochoke shuts off and reaches the normal carb AFR setting.

As long as there is no compression loss or clogging, any decent kiney will start with 1-2 crank or kicks. High rpm initially is the autochoke enabling. After warming up, the autochoke shuts off and reaches the normal carb AFR setting.
OH GOD !!!
Thank you my mechanic!
I gave Rs. 500 to him to fix the clutch shoes.
He said that he replaced clutch bell, belt, shoe and auto-choke for me.
I thought he was just lied to me. But can't believe this !

My era: Kiney was parked when dad fell ill. Remained idle for long time. I was using it for a brief period of some 2-3 months before that and screwed it up and dad never gave me again. After his death, everyone was telling to scrap it. The time was nearing for 20-year retest. I had only 2 options – Scrap it or Restore it. Decided to restore it. Every workshop guys were saying same thing, are you mad to spend a lot on such old scooter, which don’t even fetch 1/3rd the amount.
A poem by AMG on other forum, I am Ctrl-C&Ctrl-V 'ing it here (ofcourse with some little mods and additions):

I have an Kinetic Honda lying back home unused of late,
the poor thing crying over its fate,
breeding in its engine a lot of hate,
a scooter which was once my dear mate,
together we went everywhere and never reached late,
now waiting for its expiry date,
standing in the scorching sun near the gate,
passersby keep asking its rate,
my parents nagging me to sell it off and I keep telling them to wait,
<slow fade>
and I keep telling them to wait
and I keep telling them to wait.
<after some time>
now restored it and changed its fate!
-

Thread Starter #45

deville_56

Honoured Member
Kiney was being used by a friend's borther and unfortunately, Kiney had an underwater plunge in infamous floods of Trivandrum a few weeks back. It refused to start and after pushing it a long way to a workshop, it started at first crank, but exhaust note changed very much. After running a few days, more symptoms started like self start cranking without taking the load, we could hear the motor rotating freely, needing several kicks in the morning, brakes fading, etc., etc.

Our regular guy stopped attending Kineys as his Kiney mech left the shop. I used to see this guy full shop full of old Kineys. Took it to him and he was first reluctant, but accepted the scooter. Most people dump there Kineys there after hearing the service cost. Evening he called up and asked it would cost around 2.5k without battery and 1k more for battery and whether he can start the work. Next day evening, he delivered it in tip condition, except full of greasy hand marks all around the scoot.

Shop name is Vinayaka Motors. Location is opposite Ananthapuri Auditorium, Jagthy, in case any Trivandrum guys needs Kineys repaired.

2015-06-09 11-13-08.jpg

Overhauled the motor completely. Started Bendix was the culprit. It was not available and he used an Activa Bendix. It was costlier than I expected.

Starter Motor Bendix (Activa) 1,680.00
Motor Brush 120.00
Brake Shoe (Pair) 330.00
Starter Motor and Brake Overhaul 300.00

Total 2400.00

Rear tyre will wear out soon. So bought a brand new rim to fit tubeless tyre. It costed 350 bucks.

Last headache was the battery. No money for battery. Looked around and there was battery removed from Vichu's R15 lying around, which has not been used for at least 3 months and not even charged. It was only 3.5 AH with 5 AH stock in Kiney. Out of curiosity just plonked it in and cranked and it started in single crank. With some mods in terminals, connected it. Now, it's working perfect.

2015-06-11 14-14-01.jpg

Vinayaka Motors guy also offered full DC conversion. Might try it. [evil]

Today, payed road tax. They stopped option of paying 2 years. Paid for 5 years. 900 bucks.

Top Bottom