The Legendary Tata 407 Celebrates 25 Years of Production

Thread Starter #1
Tata 407, the iconic pick-up truck from Tata has proudly completed 25 years of production in 2011, and it still rules the segment of MCVs.Some of important info about Tata 407.

-Sold 5 lack units till date.

-Has 70% market share in its class.

-Available both in diesel and CNG from 2009 onwards.

The purpose of starting this thread is to pay our homage to this legend and also to share our thoughts about it.So fellow TAIans what do you think about it, bring your thoughts on, you are cordially welcome , also some pics would help, Thanks.

sure its a good vehicle. it has terrific pickup. in the late 80s and 90s when we had our diesel amby these beauties easily overtook us on the highways. in fact there was lots of accidents involving them. the major chunk of the utlility vehicle segment is occupied by this iconic vehicle.

A great & iconic truck.

It was copied from Mercedes 407D. But this iconic truck has moved the entire nation's goods for the past 25 years. Salute to it...

I like the exhaust note of this truck!

Yes this truck is the most preferred one for heavy haulage of goods,its face almost resembles like the old gen TT.
The newer models looks very good when compared to the older generations.

350Z

Core Team
This is one of the best offerings from Tata Motors in commercial segment ever. Almost every Indian is familiar with this vehicle. And it’s a really significant achievement for 407 to mark the silver jubilee milestone. Here are a few more facts and a photograph of ceremony.

• Tata 407 made its official debut in 1986.

• Tata 407 family clocks 7 out of every 10 vehicles sold in the category.

• It has total 75% market share and about 55% of its owners are first time users.

• Available both in diesel and CNG options and tonnage ranging from 2.2 to 4.2 tonnes payload.

• Tata 407 goods transportation portfolio has been expanded to comprise trucks, tippers, pick-ups and for agri/food products, construction, light mining etc.

• Among the major variants in goods transportation is the SFC 407EX TURBO.

• Tata 407 also spawned company’s Cityride fully built buses in 12-to-24 seat variants. Popular in applications for school, staff transportation and feeder bus.

• Since launch, Tata 407 has sold over 500,000 units and company will continue introducing new engines, features, looks etc.

Pic 1 - L-R Mr. P.M. Telang, Tata Motors’ Managing Director and Mr. Ravi Pisharody, President – .jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6
Thanks Vibs for bringing exclusive data and pics about Tata 407.

Tata literally annihilated the imported LCVs of its time after they launched 407 in 1986.Some of the worst effected were DCM Toyota, Swaraj Mazda,Allwyn-Nissan and not to forget Eicher-Mitsubishi.Some of the reasons why it destroyed them are:

1] It was very cheap to maintain.

2] It has an amazing torquey engine that could overload and still climb steep inclines without a fuss, also overheating problem was not there in this truck.

3] Tata's nation wide service network.

4] Warranty upto 3 lac km.

Also since 2010 this truck is available with common rail engines which complies with BS4 norms.

Alot of Business Management schools have taken the success of 407 into their syllabus.

More to come..Watch this space.

Cheers.

Thread Starter #7
sure its a good vehicle. it has terrific pickup. in the late 80s and 90s when we had our diesel amby these beauties easily overtook us on the highways. in fact there was lots of accidents involving them. the major chunk of the utlility vehicle segment is occupied by this iconic vehicle.
You are spot on buddy, tatas are not known for their pick up/ acceleration or pulling power, but this tata was an exception as it zoomed past anything on our roads during the late 80s and early 90s.

A great & iconic truck.

It was copied from Mercedes 407D. But this iconic truck has moved the entire nation's goods for the past 25 years. Salute to it...

I like the exhaust note of this truck!
Yes buddy, though I never had the privilege of driving or taking a ride in 407, but my uncle had Tata Spacio, which had the same 3.0 lt engine of 407, and man that jeep pulled like anything, the low end torque was so good that whenever he used to floor the throttle , our backs were pushed to the seat.Remember Safari DICOR 2006, it also used this same engine in common rail guise.

Yes this truck is the most preferred one for heavy haulage of goods,its face almost resembles like the old gen TT.
The newer models looks very good when compared to the older generations.
Yes pretty amazing that even with all multi-national players in the CV market right now, none of them have been able to shake 407.

Tata literally annihilated the imported LCVs of its time after they launched 407 in 1986.Some of the worst effected were DCM Toyota, Swaraj Mazda,Allwyn-Nissan and not to forget Eicher-Mitsubishi.Cheers.
Thats it Xover.

TATA 407 was such a suceess that it made all those Japanese LCVs to convert themselves to offroaders [lol]

Thread Starter #11
How many of you know:

1] Uber popular mini bus City Ride is based upon tata 407 chassis.

2] Tata Winger , another MPV is also based upon 407 platform.

Cheers

Yes Xover that's right, they have proved well in the mini-bus category.
I think the winger uses the same engine of 407 is it true?(read somewhere)

Thread Starter #14
Little bit off topic guys, but yesterday saw my first Magic IRIS, the small cute little people mover by TATA, it looks so upmarket for the segment, well done Tata motors once again.Just hope that it replaces bajaj three wheeler auto ASAP.

Thread Starter #15
Guys what's the difference between 709 and 407? And are both of these based upon same platform? Whenever I see 709 in my rear view mirror , i always get the impression that 407 is coming?

Top Bottom