The Inimitable Jeremy Clarkson

Jeremy Clarkson

• Total voters
@jalex - I must applaud [clap]you..The points you made my views tilt towards your views.

I felt it was less to do with Clarkson but more to do with total lack of sensitive BBC has become these days.Its no longer what its used to be.Many programmes like Horizon , Panorama have been reduced to some sort of drama programme.

Jalex, I totally agree.

Clarkson is totally out of order. The rubber duck is not much better and the BBC is of extremely poor quality with news being even censored. This is why I don't have a TV anymore.[thumbsdown]

Its not just India that's in a bad shape, The UK is in a much worse condition if you consider the height from which they have gone down. And the toilet seat on the Jag's boot, The banners on the train, The pants down at the party, The illegal lunatic hill climb race on a public road, The illegal use of our national flag on their car all were highly disrespectful and derogatory.[confused] They have violated a whole lot of laws even. Just that you might not have noticed.

Its okay for a person to talk like that about his own country or people, But one should never say that about another nation on their soil. When they do that, Its considered as racism. Ever seen a white man call a black man 'NI***R' and just go on in the U.S? Its none of their business to come here and do all that nonsense.

It was the worst ever for a Top Gear Show. There was nothing worth while to watch, Substandard third rate humour and a bunch of loonies. Do you think we can go to the UK and drive a car with a racial line painted on it about Brits and return home like they did here? They were allowed entry into India on belief that they are not here to offend anyone let alone the entire nation. They have no right to be here, We allow them here only if they are willing to respect our sovereignty and culture. Jeremy Clarkson along with BBC has mocked and abused our culture and he should apologize.
Exactly. Whenever England is shown on TV, they only show Trafalgar Square and not the rest of London or other shabby towns. Whenever they show India, it's always the slums. Why can't the show Lavasa or other nice places. Jeremy Clarkson is a racist. Anything which is not British is crap for him. He just can't bear the fact that Jaguar and Land Rover is now Indian owned. Rolls Royce and Bently going to the Germans followed by Rover to the Chinese was bad enough.

Remember the joke Brits used to make about Skoda's. "How to you double the value of a Skoda? Fill the tank with fuel". Real sick joke considering that Skoda had a rich heritage. See where Skoda has reached today. And where is his beloved Rover today? BTW " How do you double the value of a Rover? You can't! (zero multiplied by 2 still equals zero!)"

Just take a look at what the Guardian says about schools in the UK, They dont even have proper family relationships or know how to even raise children anymore, They are that daft! I prefer our nation compared with all its faults compared to a zombie-land like theirs: 'Parents to blame' for problems in UK schools | Education | The Observer
Family? Does anyone know what a family is in UK. Is there a single kid in UK who has grown up in a house with both his or her parents? Is usually just one parent and his/her partner (the sex of the partner could be either).

I got a response from BBC for the complaint I sent regarding the Top Gear India Special episode, Think someone needs to send them a legal notice instead:

Subject: Complaint Response CAS-1219385-4P7D89
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:43:25 IST

Dear Adv. Alex

Thank you for contacting the BBC.

This is to let you know that there will a delay in responding to your complaint but we hope to send you a reply as soon as possible. However, we hope you understand that the time taken to do so can depend on the nature of your complaint and the number of other complaints we are currently dealing with. The BBC issues public responses to issues which prompt large numbers of significant complaints and these can be read on our website at:

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

We would be grateful if you would not reply to this email - in the meantime, we would like to thank you for again for contacting us with your concerns and appreciate your patience in awaiting a response.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.
--------------------------------------------------

Thread Starter #36
Friends, Friends, Friends........we are veering off the topic. This thread is fast becoming a love/hate Top Gear India Special rather than Love/hate Clarkson. Now that we have all more or less agreed that the Top Gear India Special Episode was not in good taste, request all of you if we could please get back and discuss about Clarkson rather than the episode.

Just to set the tone, I was watching one of his CDs yesterday in which he was testing the Alfa Romeo 8C. Commenting on the top speed of the car, he says: "......it’ll get from naught to sixty in 4.2 seconds, and that it’s top speed is 182 mph. I think they could’ve made it faster than that, but then it would’ve been faster than a Ferrari and in Italy, that’s a bit of a social no no. That’d be like vomiting on the pope." [lol] (ans then, he grins and says, "Sorry!")

Ha ha true Italians are very proud about Ferrari, I feel its very recognizable brand world wide also,Alfa Romeo 8c is such a gorgeous car

Friends, Friends, Friends........we are veering off the topic. This thread is fast becoming a love/hate Top Gear India Special rather than Love/hate Clarkson. Now that we have all more or less agreed that the Top Gear India Special Episode was not in good taste, request all of you if we could please get back and discuss about Clarkson rather than the episode.

Just to set the tone, I was watching one of his CDs yesterday in which he was testing the Alfa Romeo 8C. Commenting on the top speed of the car, he says: "......it’ll get from naught to sixty in 4.2 seconds, and that it’s top speed is 182 mph. I think they could’ve made it faster than that, but then it would’ve been faster than a Ferrari and in Italy, that’s a bit of a social no no. That’d be like vomiting on the pope." [lol] (ans then, he grins and says, "Sorry!")
I dont care for someone who insults our motherland and I wish the India special was released earlier, so I could have voted 'HATE' instead of 'LOVE'. Wish I could change my vote to HATE!

And about the deviation to the love/hate thing on the India Special instead of love/hate Jeremy Clarkson, I think if it weren't for the India Special, then the posts here wouldn't have numbered to so far. And the India Special show was after all every single bit him and his attitude. I also dont think there's need for a separate thread on the India Special Show. I personally hate him to the core now and I wont ever watch his show again.

Last edited:
"......it’ll get from naught to sixty in 4.2 seconds, and that it’s top speed is 182 mph. I think they could’ve made it faster than that, but then it would’ve been faster than a Ferrari and in Italy, that’s a bit of a social no no. That’d be like vomiting on the pope." (ans then, he grins and says, "Sorry!")
He does not sound like a Automotive guy at all but someone friendly who knows whole world is not Automobile graduates.
so I do love reading such articles rather than something like this " 4 cylinder xxKW turbo charged mill with xxx.x Nm torque electronically controlled blah blah..!!!"

Its old news now, But thought I had to post this. Got another mail from BBC and this is what the Top Gear team had to say on the complaints regarding their India Special Show:

Complaint Response CAS-1219385-4P7D89

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:50:01 IST

Dear Adv. Alex

Thank you for contacting us.

We’ve received complaints from some viewers who felt the ‘Top Gear: India Special’ was offensive towards the country and its culture.

We forwarded your concerns to the ‘Top Gear’ production team, who responded with the following:

“The ‘Top Gear’ road trip across India was filled with incidents but none of them were an insult to the Indian people or the culture of the country. Our film showed the charm, the beauty, the wealth, the poverty and the idiosyncrasies of India but there's a vast difference between showing a country, warts and all, and insulting it.

It's simply not the case that we displayed a hostile or superior attitude to our hosts and that’s very clear from the way the presenters can be seen to interact with them along the way. We genuinely loved our time in India and if there were any jokes to be had they were, as ever, reflected back on the presenters rather than the Indian people.”

Thanks once again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints

BBC - Complaints - Home

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

Last edited:
The Top Gear team is as rude, arrogant and dumb as the presenters themselves. They haven't even got the guts to apologise. But why should I be surprised![thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

Thread Starter #43
Presenting his hilarious review of the Bristol Blenheim 3G. Honestly, how many of us here know of this car?

Oh gosh, is it Sunday? What, already? Er, crikey. Bit embarrassing actually because I haven’t actually driven anything this week. Well, nothing you’d want to read about.

I had a brief go in the new Toyota Land Cruiser but I could never fill a whole column with that. I couldn’t even fill a sentence. It just needs one word: “Mumsy.”

Then there was the new Renault Mégane, which has just been voted European car of the year. This is the most prestigious award in all of motoring. Were the fifty or so judges plied with so much free champagne that they became incapable of making a rational decision? Their choices over the years have been either bewildering, obtuse or bonkers. There was the Renault 9, for instance, and the Rover SD1, which was notable only for going like cricket — it stopped every time it looked like rain. And exactly how much Châteauneuf-du-Pape had they consumed when they voted in the Talbot Horizon or the Talbot Alpine or the Citroën XM? With the Mégane, though, they have surpassed themselves. Making this the car of the year rather than, say, the Mazda 6, is like saying no to Saving Private Ryan and awarding the Oscar to Police Academy 7. Actually, that’s quite a good metaphor. The Mazda is like Saving Private Ryan: important and a major departure for its creator. And the Renault Mégane is like Police Academy 7: colourful and a bit daft.

Deciding whether you want one depends entirely on whether you like its enormous rear end. If you do, go ahead. If you don’t, buy a Ford Focus or a VW Golf, or anything really, except last year’s car of the year, the Peugeot 307. And there we are, you see. Already I’m out of things to say.

So let’s move on, shall we, to a car that I have not driven this week or indeed ever: the Bristol Blenheim 3G.

I tried to drive it. I asked the man who brought it over if I could have the keys but he was most insistent: “You can only look at it.” Well, I could have done that using an internet. “I don’t care. That’s what my boss says.” Ah, his boss: the legendary Tony Crook.

He was the man who rescued Bristol’s car division when the government merged the aeroplane business into the British Aircraft Corporation. And he was the man who throughout the 1950s used to tour the motor show stands of his competitors — Fraser Nash and Rolls-Royce — dressed as an Arab.

“Oh, it was great fun. I used to order five or six Rolls-Royces at a time and once I tried to buy all the cars from the Fraser Nash stand.

I insisted they sold all of them to me that day. And I had a suitcase full of money to prove I meant business. It wasn’t really money. It was a few fivers with lots of lavatory paper underneath but it had them fooled.”

Of course, Rolls was used to him because in the 1940s he used to pay tramps to sit on its stand at the London motor show. Why? “Well, just to annoy them really.”

He’s a wonderful, wonderful man and I love him dearly but he’s from a bygone age, really, and that’s fitting because so are his cars. I drove one only once, back in the early 1990s, and can remember to this day Crook’s face when I pointed to the window winders and said: “It doesn’t have electric windows.”

“My dear chap,” he said, looking like I’d just stuck a needle in his eye, “why should it? People have arms.”

He hasn’t changed. I quizzed him last week about his new car — the Fighter — which is due to be launched next year, asking if it has a monocoque construction or perhaps something even more modern. “Why should it?” he asked again. “Our engineers had a look at that but there didn’t seem any point so it still has a separate chassis. Jolly good it is, too.”

That’s the response you get to pretty well any technical question. When I asked about the differences between the Blenheim S and the normal car, he said: “Oh, the S is a sporty job, different camshaft and tighter. That sort of thing.” And the Blenheim 3G? “Yes, that runs on gas.”

Does it work? Well, I don’t know because Crook’s enormous minder had the keys in his pocket and wouldn’t hand them over. But he did let me climb inside and I could not believe the scene that awaited me.

This car looked like it had been made by me. And I simply cannot think of a worse thing to say. It was awful. Beyond awful. The handle, for instance, which you pull to open the glove box was not a handle at all. It appeared to be a 3in length of flex from a 1940s telephone receiver which had been crudely screwed to the wood by someone with the carpentry skills of Alfred, Lord Tennyson. The screws weren’t level. They weren’t the same. And their heads were exposed, burred and scarred. Like they would be if they’d been put there by a poet.

So you see, I’ve found more to say about the handle on the Bristol’s glove box than I found to say about the whole Toyota Land Cruiser. And I haven’t even got to the switches yet.

The switches were astonishing. Not only did they appear to have been lifted from my grandfather’s mahogany gramophone, which was the size of a sofa, but it seems they’d been positioned on the dashboard in a team-building game of pin the tail on the donkey.

Either that or someone fires them at the dash using a catapult and then nails them down wherever they land. “Where’s the switch for the lights?” I asked the minder. “Dunno mate, could be anywhere.” Absolutely. I couldn’t find it but then I didn’t look in the passenger footwell or behind the sun visor.

I also didn’t find the switch for the heated rear window, but having examined the glass I’m not sure it has one. This wouldn’t be entirely surprising. It also doesn’t have an airbag, satellite navigation, heated seats or indeed anything. On its official website, the company talks only about the excellent optical quality of the glass. Well, it’s certainly unencumbered with heating elements.

So you’re not buying a Bristol for the number of gizmos or the way those that you do get are attached to the car. I carefully examined the front air splitter, for instance, and deduced that it must have been put there by a horse.

No, really. As Sherlock Holmes himself advised: “When you have eliminated the impossible” — and it is impossible to imagine a human making such a hash of it — “then what remains, no matter how implausible, must be the truth.” So it was a horse.

And then there’s the engine. It’s a 5.9 litre V8 that is still made in a small corner of Chrysler’s Detroit engine plant especially for lil’ ol’ Bristol. It’s not green, powerful, economical, modern or quiet but it will last for a long time.

And the same goes for the chassis, which first saw the light of day in Ben-Hur’s chariot. I should also draw your attention to the styling which appears to have been done by . . . well, me again actually, and the £145,000 price tag which is, let’s say, hopeful.

Customers include Richard Branson, Liam Gallagher and Jeremy King, former owner of the Ivy, the upmarket London restaurant. They sell 150 a year and it’s hard to see why.

What’s the appeal? What am I missing? Why would anyone buy a Bristol and not a Bentley Arnage T or an Aston Martin Vanquish or a Range Rover or a Mini or a Kia Sedona or a Toyota Prius even? Well, going back to my film analogy, Bristol is Marlon Brando. Way past its sell-by date, fat and possibly a bit wet in the panty department. But for no memorable reason, still a huge name, still a bankable star and still, as a result, icy cool.

There’s only one reason why you would ever buy a Bristol: so that when anyone asks what you drive, you can tell them.

Attachments

Clarkson's 458 review was the best review I have ever seen in my life but the way he criticized the new SRT10 was like..
Hammond got a better car at WAY cheaper price jezza,get over it.

Thread Starter #45
Update time:

Screenshot_2014-01-21-12-41-54-1.png

The Clarkson factfile

Born
April 11, 1960, Doncaster.

Educated
Repton School, where he met Andy Wilman, Top Gear’s producer, before being expelled. At Repton new boys were known as Stig.

Honorary degrees
2003 Doctor of Brunel University after backing Isambard Kingdom Brunel in the BBC Great Britons competition.
2005 Doctor of engineering, Oxford Brookes University.

Lives
Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, with his wife, Francie, and three children.

Drives
Range Rover, preferably.

Early career
1978 Joined the Rotherham Advertiser as a junior reporter but left after becoming fed up with reporting on pony club meetings. Moved to London and worked as a salesman for the Paddington Bear toys made by his parents’ company.
clarkson-rotherham-adverstiser.png
Journalism
1983 Set up the Motoring Press Agency with fellow journalist Jonathan Gill, selling test drives and features to local papers.
1985-93 Columnist for Performance Car magazine.
1993 to now Columnist for The Sunday Times.
1996 to now Columnist for The Sun.

Television
1988-99 Chosen as a new presenter of BBC Top Gear after a casting session, Clarkson rapidly became the star of the show but left after 11 years.
1995-2004 Presented BBC documentaries including Extreme Machines and Speed.
1998-2000 The star of his own chat show, Clarkson.
2002 to now Returned to Top Gear as the lead presenter in its new format.

Career high
Bringing Top Gear back from the dead in 2002, developing it into a show that is watched by 350m people in 170 countries.

Career low
Road-testing the Toyota Corolla.:lol!:

Source:Sunday Times Driving | Find used cars for sale in the UK

Top Bottom