The Grey Skid – Chevy Beat TCDi LS (December 2012)

Thread Starter #78

deville_56

Honoured Member
Get the brake booster checked as well.

I suspect it now.
Spot on!! It was the brake booster.

Took it back to Johnson's Garage. They kept the car for 3 days. TD'd extensively. Spotted the issue. Got it back today. So far so good.

2015-06-15 21-44-04.jpg

Master Cylinder Assembly ₹ 5,890.00
Brake Fluid ₹ 180.00
Master Cylinder with Booster Changing 1,000.00

Total 7070

That makes total cost of brake maintenance 19.5k [frustration]

Spot on!! It was the brake booster.

Took it back to Johnson's Garage. They kept the car for 3 days. TD'd extensively. Spotted the issue. Got it back today. So far so good.

View attachment 172870

Master Cylinder Assembly ₹ 5,890.00
Brake Fluid ₹ 180.00
Master Cylinder with Booster Changing 1,000.00

Total 7070

That makes total cost of brake maintenance 19.5k [frustration]
Thank to the holy god[:D] man,

That finally you have pin pointed the faulty part and replaced.

Brakes are very imp. part of any vehicle.

It should always be in order.

Have fun buddy, enjoy your ride to the fullest[clap].

Last edited:
Thread Starter #80

deville_56

Honoured Member
Remote locking packed up [frustration]. Actuator rod fell off. After putting it back, actuator was not engaging properly. Adjusted the rod and connectors little bit, it finally worked.

Thank to the holy god[:D] man,

That finally you have pin pointed the faulty part and replaced.

Brakes are very imp. part of any vehicle.

It should always be in order.

Have fun buddy, enjoy your ride to the fullest[clap].
That's true, but the money spent takes a great share of what spent on the car. Only that's the let down.

Thread Starter #83

deville_56

Honoured Member
Issues started with delayed starting. Takes 10-15 second continuous cranks to start. Showed it to one garage. They scanned and confirmed fuel pump gone and gave quote 24k + labor. Told them to replace diesel filter, which was not replaced by Continental, whom did the last major service. There was smudge formation and virtually no fuel flow.

Took it to Chevy dealer to confirm fuel pump issue. Knew a guy there, he kept car for 3-4 days there and checked thoroughly and finally concluded not the pump, but the turbo is gone. Reason being oil sump hit and damaged and strainer damaged and no oil flow at all. Actually no oil at all, all burnt up, damaging the turbo.

Final estimate was 62.5k and offered to do it for 60k. Turbocharger costs around 15k. Oil sump needs replacement. There is blow by gas and suspect need for engine rework.

AC unit fully clogged, also thanks to Continental for not changing AC filter despite specific request. It's making annoying noise with debris inside the blower.

Warranty void as we did not do service at ASC. Unfortunate that car bottomed some pothole and damaged the sump.

Took the car from Deedi. Even after thorough inspection, they didn't charge for anything and final bill was 0. Also they filled oil from a low odo Beat temporarily.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #87

deville_56

Honoured Member
Have you ever replaced your battery? Or else, Have you got it checked?

If there was no oil, the dashboard warning lights should have gone glowing, right?

No issue with battery. Cranking is fine. If it was battery, it would not even crank for a second. The delay is for compression to build up.

There was error in sensor, rectified by the previous guy who said the fuel pump needed replacement. He also said there was one more error, which he could not pinpoint to.

Common diagnostic tools are not good with Chevy, I believe, because another friend's Beat had engine trouble on diagnosis at our regular Bosch, which they said needed engine work, but Chevy dealer scanner showed PCV filter issue and solved with changing it.

Should have taken to dealer itself though the service was shoddy.

It is really sad to hear and see so much issues with a car like Beat. The previous avtar ,Matiz was famous for its strength and longevity.I fear is it with the car or the maintenance.In other words,the service centres are so bad that they don't diagnose problems in right time? The number of problems deville_56 had come up in his Beat,is definitely undermining the brand and model.There was a common trouble with fuel pump,which many had cleared during warranty.I am really intrigued by these type of repair bills.Brake booster ? How easily it can conk off? We had 10 year old Altos,for which nothing like this happened.I am not a fan of Maruti,but these type of service costs make me think even owning a car is not a good thing any more.

Thread Starter #89

deville_56

Honoured Member
It is really sad to hear and see so much issues with a car like Beat. The previous avtar ,Matiz was famous for its strength and longevity.I fear is it with the car or the maintenance.In other words,the service centres are so bad that they don't diagnose problems in right time? The number of problems deville_56 had come up in his Beat,is definitely undermining the brand and model.There was a common trouble with fuel pump,which many had cleared during warranty.I am really intrigued by these type of repair bills.Brake booster ? How easily it can conk off? We had 10 year old Altos,for which nothing like this happened.I am not a fan of Maruti,but these type of service costs make me think even owning a car is not a good thing any more.
I am too now inclined very much towards Maruti after messing with almost all budget brands. No deep troubles yet after having the "everyone else hated" Estilo for all these years.

But as a matter of fact, the Cevy dealer was good in diagnosing, but the job was kinda shoddy, so gave the car to other reputed workshops in city and they were poor in diagnosing and screwing up the car more.

Last edited:
I am too now inclined very much towards Maruti after messing with almost all budget brands. No deep troubles yet after having the "everyone else hated" Estilo for all these years.

But as a matter of fact, the Chevy dealer was good in diagnosing, but the job was kinda shoddy, so gave the car to other reputed workshops in city and they were poor in diagnosing and screwing up the car more.
I see you are from Trivandrum and wondering how can we end up with bad mechanics? [frustration]I am not saying MASS is better than CASS.I have been running after them for my new Clerio's slipping noise from the clutch,which they can't recognize.There is a specific lack of knowledge in the so called mechanics as these people had become bad in troubleshooting.Repairing is not possible by them they will just replace.Here comes the beauty of our age old mechanics,who will repair and reuse the parts to the maximum.Any way keep us posted on your repair work.

Top Bottom