The Grey Skid – Chevy Beat TCDi LS (December 2012)

Beat is an international car model and I am surprised to see the horror stories here. So, the question coming out is about manufacturing quality. GM is a name known for mistakes. Are they giving Indians substandard cars? Pointing fingers at Service centres will not solve the issue. The diesel 1L engine was so promising but quality issues made it a dud. These are Korean designed cars manufactured for US company. GM never got their marketing right in India.Heard,they are giving a facelift to Beat.Again.[anger]

Whether do you occur any problem like this ?
I have seen same thing happening on my zen.If i was the car and leave it parked for a week using handbrakes the rear brakes gets jammed and never had to hit the drum to make it free.What i do now instead of using handbrake i slot into gear and leave the car if its to be parked 3-4 days without being attended.

Thread Starter #124

deville_56

Honoured Member
Is the brake cylinder have to replace ? Is this kind of problem also arise with your car ?
Rear wheel cylinder needed replacement twice. Master cylinder was also replaced in another event.

Beat is an international car model and I am surprised to see the horror stories here. So, the question coming out is about manufacturing quality. GM is a name known for mistakes. Are they giving Indians substandard cars? Pointing fingers at Service centres will not solve the issue. The diesel 1L engine was so promising but quality issues made it a dud. These are Korean designed cars manufactured for US company. GM never got their marketing right in India.Heard,they are giving a facelift to Beat.Again.[anger]
Maybe lack of proper QA. Overall build quality is good. No rattling till date. Mechanicals and power train are giving trouble. Never heard any issues with petrol counterpart. GM version of the MultiJet and the 3-pot unit giving trouble. And also the brakes. Adding to nightmare, routine replacement parts price are now insane like air filter and diesel filter comparing MUL. Per them many parts are imported, showed the EGR packing, which is Made in Spain, but funny thing was imported parts were cheaper than Indian made. Purolator made air filter is priced 500+, same for Maruti costs only under 200 (Non-MGP Purolator packed costs only 165).

Also some complicated parts, like rear door lock is giving headache. Lock assembly and actuator is single unit and have to replace whole unit for the slightest issue. Front door actuators are Autocop made, which seems does not come through QA testing at GM. These parts are frequently failing and needing replacement. Never seen any non-OEM Autocop ever failing.

Rear wheel cylinder needed replacement twice. Master cylinder was also replaced in another event.

Maybe lack of proper QA. Overall build quality is good. No rattling till date. Mechanicals and power train are giving trouble. Never heard any issues with petrol counterpart. GM version of the MultiJet and the 3-pot unit giving trouble. And also the brakes. Adding to nightmare, routine replacement parts price are now insane like air filter and diesel filter comparing MUL. Per them many parts are imported, showed the EGR packing, which is Made in Spain, but funny thing was imported parts were cheaper than Indian made. Purolator made air filter is priced 500+, same for Maruti costs only under 200 (Non-MGP Purolator packed costs only 165).

Also some complicated parts, like rear door lock is giving headache. Lock assembly and actuator is single unit and have to replace whole unit for the slightest issue. Front door actuators are Autocop made, which seems does not come through QA testing at GM. These parts are frequently failing and needing replacement. Never seen any non-OEM Autocop ever failing.

I have a beat top end model . But the problem is it has no remote central lock with only the manual lock What have to do ? Now the company says that the Remote central lock cannot be installed from the Company Now i am facing the same problem
the car without the Remote central lock , even the Vehicle has 6 Lakh rupees and without the central lock .[anger]

Is anyone have the beat installed with remote central lock from outside , and without any problem . Please reply

Thread Starter #126

deville_56

Honoured Member
I have a beat top end model . But the problem is it has no remote central lock with only the manual lock What have to do ? Now the company says that the Remote central lock cannot be installed from the Company Now i am facing the same problem
the car without the Remote central lock , even the Vehicle has 6 Lakh rupees and without the central lock .[anger]

Is anyone have the beat installed with remote central lock from outside , and without any problem . Please reply
Our's got remote locking. It's a rebranded Autocop unit with GM logo. It was installed by dealer during delivery and available at accessories section of Chevy dealer.

Otherwise, an Autocop unit will fit without any issue and can be installed by any accessories shop. Beat top model already got central locking and adding remote will not be an issue, just a plug and play job.

Last edited:
Our's got remote locking. It's a rebranded Autocop unit with GM logo. It was installed by dealer during delivery and available at accessories section of Chevy dealer.

Otherwise, an Autocop unit will fit without any issue and can be installed by any accessories shop. Beat top model already got central locking and adding remote will not be an issue, just a plug and play job.

The main reason i am not fitting the Outside Accessories . Beat , which was caught fire in multiple incidents in North India [frustration] . I in 2014 model they simply avoid the Remote central lock option and also the there is a recent update in the vehicle which it has fitted the central lock by the Chervolet as the service Recall. So I am not at all fully satisfied with the outside fitting and also Problem of the warranty Breaks if fitted accessories from outside

Thread Starter #128

deville_56

Honoured Member
The main reason i am not fitting the Outside Accessories . Beat , which was caught fire in multiple incidents in North India [frustration] . I in 2014 model they simply avoid the Remote central lock option and also the there is a recent update in the vehicle which it has fitted the central lock by the Chervolet as the service Recall. So I am not at all fully satisfied with the outside fitting and also Problem of the warranty Breaks if fitted accessories from outside
Autocop units are plug and play and don't worry about wire cuttings and warranty trouble. Recall was for replacing faulty actuators. Contact Chevy dealer. They have remote locking as genuine accessory and they can install it if you are too much worried about warranty. We have aux lamps, ICE, horns, everything aftermarket, none of which were problem with Chevy for claiming warranty.

Remote locking was never a factory fitment AFAIK then.

If too much worried about installer, then there is an Autocop outlet at Lenin Nagar, Vazhuthacaud.

Last edited:
Autocop units are plug and play and don't worry about wire cuttings and warranty trouble. Recall was for replacing faulty actuators. Contact Chevy dealer. They have remote locking as genuine accessory and they can install it if you are too much worried about warranty. We have aux lamps, ICE, horns, everything aftermarket, none of which were problem with Chevy for claiming warranty.

Remote locking was never a factory fitment AFAIK then.

If too much worried about installer, then there is an Autocop outlet at Lenin Nagar, Vazhuthacaud.
Chevrolet Recall

Check this link this changed my mind . That's i am really confussed

Thread Starter #130

deville_56

Honoured Member
Chevrolet Recall

Check this link this changed my mind . That's i am really confussed
Nothing to worry of. Even our's had faulty actuator, which konked off and I recently changed it DIY. If they issued recall a month earlier, I would have saved some money and time.

This time, there were 4 recall jobs in our car. Even they changed clutch pedal and battery terminal, which were faulty in all cars.

There is a terrible thing is happened to me , such that while i travel from trivandrum to ernakulam on previous Saturday , the orange light was indicated while i passed the 20 km from trivandrum , then i called the Chevrolet toll free number and they connected to the road side assistance to the trivandrum department . And they says that the light was just the indication of the service interval and dont worry

When i reach erankulam suddenly the car lost power and i called the road side assistance and they came there and pick up the vehicle and the vehicle was reached the Geeyum motors , ernakulam . After some hours the service adviser says that the Diesel pump have to replace and says that the since the vehicle is under warranty .

The main problem is 1 st gear 10 KM/hr
2 nd gear 20KM/hr
3 rd gear 30 Km/hr

And the rpm was not going beyond 2000RPM

I just want to know whether 42 K just for replacing the Diesel pump for the chervolet Beat car .

Thread Starter #132

deville_56

Honoured Member
There is a terrible thing is happened to me , such that while i travel from trivandrum to ernakulam on previous Saturday , the orange light was indicated while i passed the 20 km from trivandrum , then i called the Chevrolet toll free number and they connected to the road side assistance to the trivandrum department . And they says that the light was just the indication of the service interval and dont worry

When i reach erankulam suddenly the car lost power and i called the road side assistance and they came there and pick up the vehicle and the vehicle was reached the Geeyum motors , ernakulam . After some hours the service adviser says that the Diesel pump have to replace and says that the since the vehicle is under warranty .

The main problem is 1 st gear 10 KM/hr
2 nd gear 20KM/hr
3 rd gear 30 Km/hr

And the rpm was not going beyond 2000RPM

I just want to know whether 42 K just for replacing the Diesel pump for the chervolet Beat car .
Ours was changed at 45k. Same symptoms. Saved by warranty [clap]

Thread Starter #133

deville_56

Honoured Member
May 2016:

Replaced parts found in boot.

Rear door lock assembly. Actuator is inbuilt. Had to replace whole assembly for a faulty actuator.
2016-05-25 07-52-44.JPG
2016-05-25 07-53-15.JPG
2016-05-25 07-53-55.JPG

Tank fuel pump/sender/fuel float. Again float integrated, in case of replacement needs whole unit.
2016-05-25 07-54-56.JPG
2016-05-25 07-55-20.JPG

Top Bottom