The Grey Skid – Chevy Beat TCDi LS (December 2012)

Thread Starter #211
Replacement killer arrived.

Pre-worshiped Polo 1.2 MPI Highline. 54k on odo. OEM body kits. GTI grilles. HID headlights and fog lamps. Upsized rims and tyres. Neatly kept. Surprisingly drives well. I was skeptical about the performance of 1.2 L engine on a heavier car.

2019-06-23 16-44-45.jpg
2019-06-23 16-45-00.jpg
2019-06-23 18-02-57.jpg

2019-06-23 18-18-50.jpg

Usage is terribly low nowadays for Beat, may be 100-200 km every month, sometimes not even cranked in a month. Wiser option to get a petrol. After spending a fortune on it, double-minded about the reliability and long-term ownership. So have to dispose it off sooner or later, of course with a heavy heart. And it's up for sale.

Thread Starter #214
October-November 2019: Double Trouble

Bought the replacement Polo with the idea of disposing of the Beat. Now both sitting idle with along with a Honda Dio since the whole family is out of town and hardly comes home. Only Polo was used when they are in town and Beat was driven only by a hired driver that too rarely. Since they weren't returning for some extended time, I was asked to check the cars. The beat was sitting in rain and sun for 3 months while Polo had shaded parking. Beat started with some heavy cranking, but in a single go. Polo battery was dead, needed push start. Last time the driver said steering was getting hard. Found the power steering was completely dead. Opened the bonnet and there was a lot of rat ****. So zeroed to rat bite. Plus the service soon light on. It used to turn ON intermittently since the fuel pump repair.

2019-10-17 15-34-13.jpg

@varunkumar2910 helped to manoeuvre the car since it had no power assist and I had a hard time with back pain.

2019-10-17 15-35-02.jpg

It was smelling rat pee inside the car, so check thoroughly and shocked to see shredded sponge.

2019-11-04 12-22-33.jpg

More search revealed more sponge.

2019-11-10 14-47-42.jpg

Bluetooth mic wire also eaten up.

2019-11-10 14-50-31.jpg

A pillar cover as well. Route for ingress and egress.

2019-11-10 14-57-31.jpg

And to my shock, the spare wheel was missing. The rat couldn't eat that up. After calling up the drivers, one said he ran on flat spare wheel and it got torn and threw it away [frustration]

2019-11-04 12-22-45.jpg

The front bumper was new and newly painted and it was deeply scratched as well. Drove it straight to our usual Chevy FNG to get the steering sorted out and check for more rat attack. Steering motor was gone, but not due to rate bite. It used to come alive during start, then shows some resistance and then dies with malfunction indicator on the speedometer. The replacement was around ₹ 7000.00. He got it repaired with new brush kit at one-hird the cost.

There was RTC bus like smoke till I floored the car heavily en route to the mechanic. So suspected the PCV filter needed replacement. Asked him to replace that as well and paint the bumper. Gave the car a thorough inside out wash as well.

Parts:

PCV Oil Separator - ₹ 700.00
Steering Motor Brush + Brush Set Holder - ₹ 2,100.00

Steering Motor Overhaul - ₹ 400.00
PCV Filter Replacement - ₹ 500.00
Front Bumper Painting - ₹ 1,500.00

Total damage - ₹ 5275.00

Replacing the filter didn't solve the service light. Heavy smoke is gone, but diesel fumes are still there till the car is warmed up a bit. Started developing sensitivity to diesel fumes. He assured again and again the service light won't be an issue. Indeed seen in many ownerships the light staying ON since early age and even ASC unable to sort out and no error on scan.

Painting quality turned out to be good, but there was colour mismatch since the rest of the body wasn't polished and is pretty faded.

The only intention is to dispose of the car somehow. Mechanic offered to find someone to buy the car and as promised one guy came to check the car, but quoted very low. Still in search for a buyer.

(Polo battery was changed. Now showing ABS error. Needs servicing soon).

Last edited:
deville_56
Those cars are in a sorry state. The Rats make quick work of things when you dont pay attention every day. Probably more issues will slowly come up due to shorted wiring. About Diesel fumes, Check-
1. Injector leaks
2. Fuel line leaks
3. Holes in silencer.

Let me keep you warned that Diesel exhaust has Nitrous oxides in them as well as carbon Monoxide. Pretty toxic stuff.

I am proud of my driver bro here , he takes care of the ride just like I do , and he is well versed with technical know how of the ride too .
By the way where had you painted the bumper bro ?

Thread Starter #218
How come the rat entered inside the car?
Only the rat knows [frustration]

deville_56
Those cars are in a sorry state. The Rats make quick work of things when you dont pay attention every day. Probably more issues will slowly come up due to shorted wiring. About Diesel fumes, Check-
1. Injector leaks
2. Fuel line leaks
3. Holes in silencer.

Let me keep you warned that Diesel exhaust has Nitrous oxides in them as well as carbon Monoxide. Pretty toxic stuff.
Still looking for someone who would wholeheartedly look into that matter (rat bites).

Fumes only occur during cold starts. Once it warms up it is reduced very much, but I can sense them very much, others don't. Already allergic to aerosols [sad]

I am proud of my driver bro here , he takes care of the ride just like I do , and he is well versed with technical know how of the ride too .
By the way where had you painted the bumper bro ?
Premier Automobiles, Malayinkeezhu.

Top Bottom