The Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium – Built Tough

Third Service Experience:

The third service was done at Harpreet Ford, Sahibabad at 20,026 Kms earlier last month. Apart from what’s mentioned in the PMS, got the Fuel Filter and Air Filter replaced proactively. The old air filter was cleaned and kept in the truck for emergency use.

The PCM too was updated to the latest version which was ANN. With every new update, the truck move lively and at present offers the instantaneous reactions to throttle inputs in D mode which were earlier present in S mode. Increased engine braking with the truck running down gears while match revs during coasting is an added bonus.

The total cost of service was Rs. 9,635/- which included 9.8 Liters of Shell Synthetic 5W30 Oil. This time the cleaning was very good and overall experience at Harpreet Ford, Sahibabad was very good.
I got my Second Service done at 10100kms. It costed me to 3549/-. However unfortunately my dealer does not use Shell Engine Oil. I was offered castrol (Information provided only if asked). I asked him as to why dealers in other parts of the country offer Shell. Their reply was we have different brands but the grade remains the same.

I am still unable to fix the puddle lamps which I ordered from AliExpress. Ford Dealers wont do it and I cant do it my self. :(

My fuel efficiency has not improved much. I was getting 6.7 KM/L now I am getting 6.9 to 7 KM/L. Wish we can do some thing to improve the mileage. Having purchased the car this year, would feel bad if the new 2L engine would give a better mileage with similar/better performance.

Thread Starter #168
However unfortunately my dealer does not use Shell Engine Oil. I was offered castrol (Information provided only if asked). I asked him as to why dealers in other parts of the country offer Shell. Their reply was we have different brands but the grade remains the same.
Different dealers have different tie-up with either Shell, Castrol or Mobil1. Till they are using Fully Synthetic 5W30 Oil, the company should not matter.
I am still unable to fix the puddle lamps which I ordered from AliExpress.
It's a simple fix. Refer to this video - it might help youtube video.
Having purchased the car this year, would feel bad if the new 2L engine would give a better mileage with similar/better performance.
I don't think 2.0L Bi-Turbo is coming to India anytime soon in the facelift as it would shoot-up the cost.

Pretty late to the party. just stumbled upon this thread when I was thinking of the next possible upgrades to my XUV. looking for a 4x4 this time.
Congratulations for the buy, this looks like one heck of a machine. would like to see more offroading videos of the endy.
amazing and tasteful mods as well.

Ordered Following Dash Cam-- Based on the posting by Iron Rock(Thank you). It was long pending and couldn't finalize one. Your posting helped me to Order one from AliExpres for $65.

Xiaomi 70Mai Dash Cam Pro Smart Car DVR Camera 1944P GPS ADAS Video Recorder 24H Parking Monitor Voice Control Dash Camera Wifi

Thread Starter #172
Ordered Following Dash Cam-- Based on the posting by Iron Rock(Thank you). It was long pending and couldn't finalize one.
I got the same 70mai Dashcam Pro for the Hexa but am yet to get the GPS data stamped on the footage. Do share if there is any workaround.

Tyre replacement – Upping the Safety quotient and adding comfort:

Even before buying the truck, I was asked to replace the tyres by a couple of friends but unfortunately none of them could answer the question on performance of stock MRF tyres as they swapped tyres right out of showroom. Ideally, that’s the best approach if you want most value for your stock tyres but having some faith in MRF tyres, I didn’t go with this approach.

Over the last 5K kms, the following observations about the stock MRF tyres were made:
a. Grip – the rains which followed since the purchase revealed how poor the tyres were with water dispersion and overall grip in wet. Experiencing aquaplaning in the city, while driving with-in speed limits, that too when climbing a flyover was shocking.
b. Noise – with the music off, you could hear a roar in the cabin which would increase with speed till 120 Kmph after which the wind noise would become more prominent. This roar became deafening on the concrete highways.
c. Comfort – the stiff sidewall ensured that the cushioning effect from the tyres itself was missing on minor undulations. The suspension would react to the bumps in the best way possible but the initial jerk due to stiff sidewalls meant the sharpness of the jerk was always felt.

The problem was defined and the search for answer started. For a & b, swapping to good tyres would be enough but to address c, there were 2 possible scenarios – either downsize to 17” rims with tyres 265/65R17 and maintain overall size with-in 0.3% of the original tyre or upsize the tyre on 18” rim itself.

The first scenario was quickly ruled out as it involved more dosage of Vitamin M (Money). There were no options available with the 17” rim in 8Jx17 size having ET55 offset and PCD 6x139.7 and playing with any of these numbers was not an option. Getting 3 more steel spare wheel rims which is 17” was the only solution to this option but the steel wheels would have taken away the premium look and affected resale whenever it would be done.

Look with the Spare wheel placed besides the rear wheel
View attachment 234063

Even for the second scenario, there were only a few options but it was an eyeopener that the stock size was available in HT with premium brands (Michelin / Pirelli) and the stock size available in AT (Yokohama / Maaxis) was actually priced higher or at most similar to the price of the upsized version. It was clear that upsize would be the end solution all 3 problems involving the least dosage of Vitamin M.

The tyre size was finalized at 285/60R18 and this link was very helpful in understanding that the upsize would not require any re-engineering. As per this link, the section width would increase by 20mm (8%), sidewall would increase by 12mm (8%) and the overall diameter by 24mm (3%) over stock tyre. The increased sidewall coupled with a tyre having better rubber compound would definitely aid comfort. The only confusion was related to scrub radius being changed by -4mm over stock but Wikipedia suggested that it would provide greater stability.

Maaxis was ruled out due to majority criticism being on tyre noise. Yokohama was the only option it seemed in AT but with the past experience of punctures experienced in SFX, I was reluctant. It looked like the plan would be shelved but then Mr. Karan from Kartar Tyres came to the rescue. He suggested Nexen Roadian AT Pro RA8 tyre and the exchange price for the used MRF tyres was quite good.

A quick search revealed some good reviews about grip in wet, low noise and comfort with added advantage low tread wear. A video even claimed it to be among top 5 AT tyres and this tyre even won top score in Jeep test (link).

Finally on a visit to Delhi, the tyres were changed. Unfortunately, the balancing could not be done at his end due to non-availability of the right center cone and the same was performed at a separate shop. The wheels were labelled and fitted back at the same place to avoid learning of the TPMS sensor location which requires a visit to the Ford Secvice Center. The MRF’s looked as if they had developed uneven roughness and the tread depth was between 7mm to 7.5mm as opposed to 8.5mm found on the new spare tyre of the Endeavour itself. The new Nexen tyres had a tread depth exceeding 9.5mm and even their sidewall looks very aggressive. As per user reviews, they are known to be long lasting. They were manufactured in South Korea and looked like a recent import as the manufacturing date read 2817.

Tyres wrapped in their protection covering
View attachment 234064

The label
View attachment 234065

Jacked-up for the transformation
View attachment 234066

Rear Tyre installed
View attachment 234067

Comparing the last tyre with the stock MRF before install
View attachment 234068

TPMS sensor on the rim
View attachment 234069

Aggressive pattern on the sidewall
View attachment 234070

The complete sidewall
View attachment 234071

Fitting just inside the body
View attachment 234072

Having covered close to 900 kms on the new tyres in a week, initial observations look promising. The transformation in comfort is most prominent – gone is the sharpness of any bump and it feels like you are literally floating over broken roads even at 32 Psi all around (MRF were back breaking even at 30 Psi). Grip in wet is quite good and it kicks out an exceptional amount of dirt from the road. Noise is well controlled as of now and I hope it stays that way. Only drawback is that it catches small stones very easily and the wider footprint might affect FE.
Hi

After may more Kms how has the experience been with the nexen tyres. Do you still often get a flat tyre? Would you still recommend these tyres ?

bhvm

Honoured Member
@A.G. The American Ford Raptor comes with Off road cam which I feel is mighty useful. For off road and also for dense Traffic. Any mods along those lines you have planned?

Thread Starter #175
After may more Kms how has the experience been with the nexen tyres. Do you still often get a flat tyre? Would you still recommend these tyres ?
Yes the punctures have reduced but cannot comment on recommendation part as I have not used any other tyres in this size.
@A.G. The American Ford Raptor comes with Off road cam which I feel is mighty useful. For off road and also for dense Traffic. Any mods along those lines you have planned?
In the Endeavour I have the Viofo A119S which works perfectly. Will checkout the cam you mentioned for the Raptor.

Looks too much fun sir. Hope you enjoyed the event.
And sorry i had not seen your thread so late congratulations for your"truck". And you have something better than that piece of overrated metal called "Fortuner".
Endeavour has been always better than the Firtuner.

Thread Starter #178
Looks too much fun sir. Hope you enjoyed the event.
And sorry i had not seen your thread so late congratulations for your"truck".
Thank you for the kind words. It was indeed fun as doing it with the instructors on a the track made by them had put risking the truck out of question.
And you have something better than that piece of overrated metal called "Fortuner".
Endeavour has been always better than the Firtuner.
You echo my sentiments and even after clocking 35K Kms, the american truck feels as good as new with no creaks or rattles. On product merits vis-a-vis the price, the Endeavour simply blows the Fortuner away.

Thread Starter #179
Fourth Service Experience:

The fourth service was sort of done in stages. The rear brake pads started screeching at 27,269 Kms and were replaced in November 2018. Closer inspection revealed that the wear on the pads was uneven and only 1 brake pad out of 4 was below the safe recommended limit. The calipers were thoroughly inspected for free movement and the guide pins were greased after through cleaning to prevent this in future. Front brake pads were replaced under warranty as they had developed cracks while the battery was also replaced as it did not pass the test as per report. Anti-rust coating was opted for in this visit and the total spending came to Rs. 10,667/-.

Brake pad with minimum and maximum thickness
T37_1.jpg

Front suspension at it’s maximum travel with the tyre still touching the floor
T37_2.jpg

Service was performed in December 2018 at 29,983 Kms and finally this time the fuel filter was a part of the PMS itself. The service at Harpreet Ford, Sahibabad was blazingly fast and the time taken including washing was 3 hours. Total bill came to Rs. 7,445/-.

Inspection of the Fuel Tank guard as it had taken a hit while making own roads to avoid a traffic jam
T37_3.jpg

Fuel filter post 10K Kms usage
T37_4.jpg

Surprisingly low cost of service despite getting 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Oil
T37_5.jpg

The brake pedal started feeling a bit spongy despite the new brake pads all around. The PMS mentions the replacement of the brake fluid at 2 Years or 40K Kms but the same was replaced in February 2019 at 32,085 Kms to solve the issue. Additionally the cabin air filter was replaced and it was interesting to learn that 2 types are available – without and with charcoal coating. Opted for the latter with total costs of this visit coming to Rs. 3,043/-.

Brake Fluid
T37_7.jpg

Finally, the 3D alignment and road force balancing was done outside at Pirelli Store post attending the Ford off-road event in March 2019 at 33,448 Kms. The tyres were swapped on the rims as an additional measure for marinating even wear on the inside and outside of each tyre. The final bill post discount came to Rs. 2,295/-.

Tyres removed for swapping on rim and for balancing
T37_8.jpg

Alignment in progress
T37_9.jpg

Top Bottom