The Flynn Pegasus - Hero Honda Splendor '97!

Thread Starter #1
Nothing I have to write about the Pegasus! My dad has been having it and maintenance is almost nil! The Bike that is older than me! And still riding like a dream!

Photos on End of Ownership Review!

Here comes story:

Hero Honda Splendor was bought by my dad from UP and it has went rounds inside India!
It went to almost all places in India!
It is the 3rd bike we had in our family. The Bajaj Cub, The Kinetic Honda ZX and 3rd is my Pegasus, Hero Honda Splendor!

He was working in Air-Force. So he got the bike through CSD Canteen stores.
On that time to present day the price has risen only by Rs. 1000-2000 for Hero Splendor in CSD.
The price when he bought was about Rs. 37000

He used to get transfers around states and states and finally ended up in TN, Tambaram at the stage of his Retirement after 25 years of service.

The bike stayed dormant in Bangalore, Yelahanka for 1-1.5 years.

Me and my dad were in Bangalore. There was some small bit of petrol in reserve.
We took my dad's friend's Libero carrying a 1-litre pet bottle for fuel.

Guess What? The Pegasus came to life shouting in the 3rd kick, Not even used choke!
We are so surprised how come it started in the 3rd kick!!

It has the old type silencer which gives Bassy-throaty sounds. ( The one with a larger hole than present lot.)
It used to make(Still making) a dag-dag sound though not as loud as an Enfield Bullet:stupid:

Then the bike has been put in train and it has been welcomed to Namma Chennai, Tamil Nadu for the 2nd time!
It was already in Chennai from years 2003-2005 after which it went to Coimbatore
Then I had picked up it and started doing rounds inside Chennai!
I like riding it in 15 kmph on 3rd gear and 20 kmph on 4th gear!
It is like smoothly spreading its wings on the road! I just LOVE the sound and feel while driving like this!

Another Liking of riding it is Angry Mood! (But I don't like it to push it harder, But sometimes I am in need of POWER[glasses])
The Pegasus and open roads is an IdIoTiC Combination!
But LOVE its sound when accelerating to higher RPM and decelerating from higher RPM.
Oops! I missed it! The phut-phut sound while decelerating! I love it too!

The Pegasus used to return 75 kmpl for 11-1/2 years after that it began to tapper off!
Today the Pegasus is returning 47-52 kmpl which makes me and my Dad HAPPY that too after a long period of time without changing engine internals.
When I ride, it returns 46-47 kmpl while my Dad rides it, it returns above 50!
My Dad drives it very very sane on streets. But If he entered a major road Ex: Beach Road in Chennai, The speedo needle will never come below the 50 kmph marking! ( But, it does come down while braking :-P )

Now coming to its reliability,
You think about engine and it strikes your head that the engine is a HONDA!
Yes, It is reliable as a Honda, Not even a single part changed in engine.
The engine is not opened and it is fresh as new!
The Sprockets are the only issue that too running after 1^68^801 kms on odo (odo was not counting for a considerable time).
The maintenance done periodically on a time-period of 8 months is:
Air filter cleaning, Oil changing, Cleaning and Lubricating the chain, Lubricating external moving parts like brake, wheel hub and bearings etc , Cleaning Carburettor if needed and finally tighten the brakes!
You are good to go now!
This is the maintenance followed from beginning day 1 !

Parts Changed:
- Front and rear break shoe for a couple of times.
- Replaced Rear tyre to 3.00 x 18.
- Front tyre and rim replaced (Damaged due to transportation from Bangalore through Truck).
- Throttle cable.
- Clutch cable.
- Speedometer Cable.
That's all the list of changed!

Now I'm sad and almost crying but I don't have any other way.
The time may be nearing to part ways with it.
The bike is running good but me and my dad are afraid. When we are on a long trip and suddenly engine seized/stopped what would happen?
The engine's components have seen many many many time and days and years and lots of challenges like hill climbing. They are almost worn which has 30-40% Life on them.
My dad is not going to replace any of the engine components as the bike has no on-road value.
That's why driving it till its call of death comes and part ways with it.

End of my Ownership Review.

Here Comes Photos!

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
See the photo attached(Courtesy of BikeAdvice). What is that part marked on the photo of engine?
that part is not present in my engine.
What function it does?
Also saw a 1998 Splendor with Self-Start mechanism fitted. Its crankcase (Engine Side Covers) is different from any of the commuter bikes available. Its round in shape and has self-start motor above it.
I will share the photo when I click it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi,
I too have a splendor 2000 model which is still running in a good condition. I used to change oils only around 5000 Kilometers. Its going to touch 100000 Kilometers soon.

See the photo attached(Courtesy of BikeAdvice). What is that part marked on the photo of engine?
that part is not present in my engine.
What function it does?
It is the pollution controller introduced in Splendor in 2001. The model with pollution controller has different silencer and different sound.
Still Splendor without pollution controller has market in our area.

Thread Starter #6
It is the pollution controller introduced in Splendor in 2001. The model with pollution controller has different silencer and different sound.
So I can't put an old model silencer into any of the Splendor engine series(Passion, CD/HF Dawn/Deluxe, ECO) with the pollution controller?
My uncle has one (2007 Splendor+) and he wants the old model silencer fitted on his bike for that dag-dag sound. He always have a envy look when he sees my dad's Splendor[evil]
Any way to remove the pollution controller from his bike for fitting the old model silencer?

ASIR said:
Still Splendor without pollution controller has market in our area.
Are they in high demand for huge price tags(Going seconds)? Are dealers selling new Splendors without pollution controller? I don't think so!

People here close the pollution controller with the help of a local mechanic and place the old silencer to get the exact splendor sound.
I mean in the used bike market people prefer to bu old model and rebuild them.

Thread Starter #8
No Splendor owners here except Mr. Mahesh(Ambylovers)?

@Ambylovers:
Why don't you write an Ownership Review of your workhorse?

Thread Starter #9
Mileage dropped to 45 kmpl.
Sprocket kit changed.
Carburettor and Air filter cleaned.
Anything to look in for improving mileage?

Thread Starter #10
The teenager mind in me made my Pegasus to have a bigger exhaust hole drilled on the stock silencer(the core/baffle) itself!
Sound doesn't increase that much and not noticeable at higher RPMs.
The sound is good at lower RPMs in any gear!
Costed about Rs. 300

Thread Starter #11
Mods done as of now:
- Stock Carburettor Jet removed and put in Discover's one (I dont know what variant of Discover. My Mech only told me that the jet belongs to Discover).
- Removed the foam from the air filter and opened up the air filter box.
- Set the idling correctly.
- Exhaust tuned for sound and little power.
- Drilled 6 holes totally on exhaust. 2 at bottom-center and 4 at the end.
- Engine and Silencer are painted fully matte black.

Now, the bike's rev climbs up faster than usual and unexpected front wheel in air moments happen mostly (and if a pillion is sitting, that's all!, you will pull up a wild wheelie that too unexpectedly!!!)!

Guys...I would like to downsize the rear sprocket of my HH Splendor+(2005/52K) to obviously reduce the revvs at the speed 60-70 kmph.The mechanics to whom I spoke have least knowledge about it or advised against it.
IIRC, Splendors run on 44T rear sprocket and I would like to know about the availability of small ones(preferably 40T or 42T) in the market as a direct fit.

Thread Starter #15
@Mr.Boss
Regarding the Foam, I remove and use the bike only for ~10 days a month after that I am in need of FE so I will put in the foam again!

Top Bottom