Electric & Hybrid Vehicle Scene in India

Electric & Hybrid Cars For India By 2020

More than a dozen electric and hybrid cars to be launched in next three years.
1.JPG
Automakers big and small are racing to build hybrids and electric cars to take advantage of tax benefits and increasing concerns on air quality in major cities across the country.
A dozen electric and hybrid cars are likely to be launched in the next three years with Mahindra & Mahindra, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan joining leader Maruti Suzuki in adopting this technology.

From Mild Hybrids to EV's India will see the rise of these cars in the coming years starting from 2017.

Source

Last edited:
Survey: Future of Electric Cars in India

Hello guys,
I am an Engineer and EV enthusiast. I strongly feel EVs are just better vehicles than their ICE counterparts and am hoping that we see some considerable electrification in India soon. However, at the moment, the pace at which it is happening is too slow and there's no hope unless a miracle in the form of Tesla or a start up comes up.

I want to understand what Indians want from electric cars and how the future towards EVs could be reached faster than at the current rate. I have created a survey for the same. Kindly take 2 minutes out of your time to fill in the survey shared below. Thanks in advance

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...yVParMLtjQnvBwajxyEO2ilA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Re: Survey: Future of Electric Cars in India

Hello guys,
I am an Engineer and EV enthusiast. I strongly feel EVs are just better vehicles than their ICE counterparts and am hoping that we see some considerable electrification in India soon. However, at the moment, the pace at which it is happening is too slow and there's no hope unless a miracle in the form of Tesla or a start up comes up.

I want to understand what Indians want from electric cars and how the future towards EVs could be reached faster than at the current rate. I have created a survey for the same. Kindly take 2 minutes out of your time to fill in the survey shared below. Thanks in advance

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...yVParMLtjQnvBwajxyEO2ilA/viewform?usp=sf_link
Some background for the survey: I want to understand the difference between what people say they want from an electric and what they actually would do if one existed, and mainly if they would even be interested in buying one. I guess this is no secret that electrification is the need of the hour. There is only so much companies can do to reduce emissions from Petrol/Diesel cars and living in Bangalore, I know how bad the situation is. And I have complete belief in the fact that all existing OEMs are ****. None of them understand how EVs work, no way they will be able to come up with a good product. Just take a look at Mahindra Reva, even being an EV enthusiast, I wouldn't buy that car. At least in the 2 wheeler sector, we have some hope with start ups like Ather and Tork coming in but the 4 wheeler sector is still lagging considerably.

I and a friend of mine are trying to look at the current situation and how it can be changed. I hope I have given enough details here because we aren't sure how much information is too much to reveal at this point. We would be glad if the survey could be shared among auto enthusiasts and car owners in general, because that would help us a lot in reading into what people are expecting from EVs. The last thing we want as someone who love EVs is some OEM coming up with a bad product and making it impossible for people in the country to accept EVs, which as it is already is difficult.

The amazing achievement of a solar electric vehicle purely made in India

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjyJZpGpy0

An Indian man will drive a self-built solar electric vehicle (TUK TUK) from India to the UK, demonstrating green transportation.
He will drive his solar powered vehicle from Bangalore, India to London, England. He plans to travel 10,000 km through 10 countries. The vehicle will run on solar energy and electricity and will have zero emissions.
The solar vehicle can travel 80 km (nearly 50 miles) when charged for 8 hours. Also with 5 hours of exposure to the sun, it can run for another 25 km.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: The Electric Vehicle & Hybrid Scene in India

Friends,

An Important & Significant Move: Tata Power launches Electric Vehicle Charging infrastructure in Mumbai

press-21aug17a.jpg

press-21aug17b.jpg

press-21aug17c.jpg

Tata Power, India’s largest integrated power company, has been a frontrunner in technology adoption and innovation while also setting benchmarks in sustainability. As part of its commitment towards sustainability and another green milestone, the Company has installed their first Electric Vehicle charging station at Tata Power Receiving Station at Vikhroli, Mumbai.

Tata Power's aim is to build a network to make it easier for people to adopt to EVs and be future ready. Such an adoption of smart charging infrastructure will help the country achieve its ambitious plan of mass scale shift to electric vehicles by 2030. Pioneers of this vision, Tata Power has taken this initiative of providing charging stations along with Mass - Tech Controls.

Commenting on the same, Mr. Anil Sardana, CEO & MD, Tata Power, said, “We are proud and happy with the launch of Electrical Vehicle Charging stations as Tata Power continues to set a high standard in adopting sustainable practices by using innovative technology, providing customers access to energy-efficient processes. We are moving towards clean power for all and it is our endeavor to provide best of the solutions for our country to achieve a greener tomorrow”.

These chargers would facilitate electric car users to charge their cars (Battery Electric Vehicles such as the Mahindra e2o, Nissan Leaf, etc) at any time safely and conveniently. The chargers can also monitor the car battery charging status and units consumed while charging a car.
The company plans to set up charging stations at various locations in Mumbai and is already in discussions with various stakeholders.

About Tata Power:

Tata Power is India’s largest integrated power company with a growing international presence. The Company together with its subsidiaries and jointly controlled entities has an installed gross generation capacity of 10613 MW and a presence in all the segments of the power sector viz. Fuel Security and Logistics, Generation (thermal, hydro, solar and wind), Transmission, Distribution and Trading. It has successful public-private partnerships in Generation, Transmission and Distribution in India namely “Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited" with Delhi Vidyut Board for distribution in North Delhi, 'Powerlinks Transmission Ltd.' with Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. for evacuation of Power from Tala hydro plant in Bhutan to Delhi and 'Maithon Power Ltd.' with Damodar Valley Corporation for a 1050 MW Mega Power Project at Jharkhand. Tata Power is serving more than 2.6 million distribution consumers in India and has developed the country’s first 4000 MW Ultra Mega Power Project at Mundra (Gujarat) based on super-critical technology. It is also one of the largest renewable energy players in India with a clean energy portfolio of 3141 MW. Its international presence includes strategic investments in Indonesia through a 30% stake in the leading coal company PT Kaltim Prima Coal (KPC), 26% stake in mines at PT Baramulti Suksessarana Tbk ("BSSR"); in Singapore through Trust Energy Resources to securitize coal supply and the shipping of coal for its thermal power generation operations; in South Africa through a joint venture called ‘Cennergi’ to develop projects in sub-Sahara Africa; in Zambia through 50:50 joint venture with ZESCO for 120 MW Hydro which has become operational in 2016; in Georgia through AGL which is a joint venture with Clean Energy, Norway & IFC for development of 187 MW hydro project and in Bhutan through a hydro project in partnership with The Royal Government of Bhutan. With its track record of technology leadership, project execution excellence, world class safety processes, customer care and driving green initiatives, Tata Power is poised for a multi-fold growth and committed to 'lighting up lives' for generations to come”. Visit us at: www.tatapower.com

About Mass - Tech Controls

Mass-tech Controls is a manufacturer of DC UPS comprising of Battery Charging Equipment's, DC Distribution Boards, DC-DC Converters, Polarization Rectifiers, Cathodic Protection, LV Switchgear Panels and allied equipment's required for no break DC supply system for power station applications, refineries, petrochemicals, process industries, etc. along with of batteries of various types, viz. Ni-Cd, lead acid, SMF VRLA type, Lithium ion battery, etc. for the past 25 years. It was founded in the year 1993 by Mr. Subhash Patil currently the chairman of MASSTECH group. Recently in the year 2014 MASSTECH has diversified its business in manufacturing of EV charging stations ranging for 10kW to 200kW. MASSTECH has been working with all major EV manufacturing OEMS like TATA motors, Mahindra, Volvo and KPIT. MASSTECH EV charging station division is been managed and developed by Mr. Anurag Patil (Director Operations). Visit us at Leader in DC Systems - Mass-Tech Controls Pvt. Ltd.
Regards

Akash

Came across below article. Don't have subscription to read it completely. Can someone share what it is.
M&M, Tata Motors, Nissan bid for India's first electric car tender | Business Standard News
Energy Efficiency Services Ltd is going to procure 10,000 electric cars for government services. The companies bidding for supplying the cars are TATA Motors, M&M and Nissan. Nissan's bid was rejected on technical grounds.
Update: As of yesterday, M&M quoted Rs.13 lakhs. TATA 's quote was lowest (Rs.11.2 Lakh including GST) so it will be supplying 250 electric Tigors in first phase. Although the 1st phase requirement was 500 cars, TATA is unable to supply the 500 cars in first phase. If M&M matches TATA's quote, it can supply 40% of the requirement, else TATA will have to supply the entire 10,000 lot.

Last edited:
Who Ruined India's Hybrid Aspirations?

Toyota Camry hybrid out of production
CAmry.png
P.S: I didn't get those figures though, 17.82 years[roll]?!​

This meant the ex-showroom price of the car in Delhi, which accounted for half its sales, rose to about Rs 38 lakh from Rs 32 lakh.

Toyota stopped production at the end of the September quarter after the hybrid’s sales dropped 73% during the period from a year earlier, according to the figures provided by the company. The Japanese automaker had launched the Camry assembly facility five years ago and stopped making the regular version of the car given demand for the hybrid. Sales haven’t completely dried up since the company has some inventory left over from before the stoppage.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #26

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Who ruined India's Hybrid aspirations ?

I do not know but current Goverment policies look very anti-eco and anti-Green for the lack of proper words.

1. Hybrid vehicles in Highest tax bracket. One third of your money goes to the govt which cant even make dencent roads for Hybrid and Low GC vehicles to travel properly. and we aren't even talking govt subsidized or free solar EV charging stations yet.

2. Solar inverters which were in 0% vat now pay 18% GST

3. Subsidy on Home domenstic solar installations have been removed (Atleast in maharashtra, Its present in states like Gujarat)

4. Govt not accepting subsidy forms or process from farmers on Solar Krushi Pumps, so farmers cannot get solar pumps or they have to pay 100% cost. There is a backlog of 4~5 years on Forms already.

So now its camry. I remember may years ago, Civic hybrids were sold a peanuts after Huge losses to Honda as Govt imposed stupid amount of tax and made the entire vehicle impractical.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Friends,

New Delhi: The government’s premier policymaking body NITI Aayog is planning to add green colour number plates to electric vehicles (EV). The government’s think tank has prepared a draft policy on electric vehicles that also suggests three-year free parking and toll waivers

The draft policy also proposes that residential, shopping, and office complexes will be asked to reserve 10 per cent parking space for EVs.
Link

Regards

Akash

Friends,

Link

Regards

Akash
A lot of thinking has gone into this policy. It will change the EV landscape and accelerate EV adoption by 200% [lol]. The most important component is missing -there is no mention of linking the scheme to aadhaar[lol]

Last edited by a moderator:

Toll waivers and free parking would be helpful in some way. Similar rule in London, where there is no congestion fee for electric cars has helped a lot in terms of electric car sales in the city. However, the congestion fee in London is quite high, and this is a big factor. In comparison, the toll fees and parking charges are not that high in India, and this would not be a major factor for a car buyer. Unless there are major tax rebates, and a better charging infrastructure, moving to an electric car is still a big issue for most people.

Thread Starter #30

bhvm

Honoured Member

Toll waivers and free parking would be helpful in some way. Similar rule in London, where there is no congestion fee for electric cars has helped a lot in terms of electric car sales in the city. However, the congestion fee in London is quite high, and this is a big factor. In comparison, the toll fees and parking charges are not that high in India, and this would not be a major factor for a car buyer. Unless there are major tax rebates, and a better charging infrastructure, moving to an electric car is still a big issue for most people.
Sssshhhhh!!!
Don't remind them. This goverment is all ears for raising taxes and fees and looting people.

Surely, Better charging stations are a necessity.

Top Bottom