Electric & Hybrid Vehicle Scene in India

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Gentlemen,
We are aware what we have done to our Mother Nature.
The High Amounts of Pollution have forced Goverments to Take drastic and Inconvinient measures to reduce vehicle use in Metros.

I've already discussed at length about solar use here-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...general-discussion-solar-diy-home-office.html

I am currently using my Home and office on Solar engergy. It once made me think, what is next most power hungry thing after the Electronics and Electricals? The Vehicles of Course!

The Impact of Fuel/ Engergy consumption of these small gremlins actually exeeds the carbon footprint of an average office! Modern cars have come a long way to reducing pollution whilst still offering more features and performance. However, gentlemen, we are still falling short.

As long as Fossil Fuels is being burnt- Where in the form of Petrol, Diesel, Gas etc. There will be depletion of Natural resources. And where does that fuel land up? In the waste heat and Air Pollution of course!
The Goverment Schemes to Promote CNG/ LPG vehicles is what I call short-sighted strategy. As long as you are digging something from the belly of earth, you are not really going Green. The same goes for EVs that are charged with Power coming from Nuclear/ Coal/ Oil Burning Power stations.

Only Solar use for Home, office, EV is the definite way to save this planet

One thing that really hurts me is that EV scene In India is not very promising. I am myself thinking to Jump in, and use my Know-How to develop a decent EV for everyone. Join in Friends. Let the ideas rain.[:)]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: The Electric Vehicle & Hybrid Scene in India

One thing that really hurts me is that EV scene In India is not very promising. I am myself thinking to Jump in, and use my Know-How to develop a decent EV for everyone. Join in Friends. Let the ideas rain.
This topic needs real extensive discussion. I firmly believe, every auto brand here in India should give a Hybrid/Electric version to their model range. A similar topic was initiated for discussion in 2014 by me among some apparently civilized humans, but their replies spoke volumes about their levels of understanding. EV are need of the hour specially for India's metro cities to curb the pollution and emerge as an effective mode of commute be it public/private transport. Prior to present scenario where the authorities have woke up to address this issue of pollution by re-formulating old/implementing more new policies in the Indian EV market and Prominent policy is the subsidy on Hybrids like CIAZ, Camry. The reason for EV market not really picking up here is that people at large are not conversant with the idea nor they feel that comfortable inside an EV. Baring 3-5 Lac automotive enthusiasts in India, majority of population in India even after being educated about the ill effects of pollution and benefits of an EV have not been able to accept them like the way they welcomed Petrol and Diesel cars. Later on, when CNG and LPG was introduced, necessary infrastructure was built as well and yet if we individually see the sales of CNG/LPG vehicles in comparison to Petrol/Diesel vehicles we'll see a big gap and the major reason apart from people's mindset, is the lack of infrastructure. In case of EV the main thing is the supply of electricity for its charging. In metros the EV might sustain but in the overall scenario it would be really minuscule. Until and unless approachable, effective and efficient infrastructure is available pan-India till then no matter how efficient EV may roll out from the auto-brands here it will not survive and by effective and approachable infrastructure I mean, mobile vehicle charging ports, 24x7 electricity supply, use of solar panels where ever possible in the car, proper EV maintenance outlets with knowledgeable staff and transparency in the EV deals. Also, with the recent measures, I do see a scope for the EV/Hybrids making their way on our roads but time frame cannot be ascertained.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Similar concept of maruti can be brought in. Partial hybrid. There motor runs on battery. You not have partial hybrid with solar power running a motor. It should save energy into the battery though.

The funny thing will be people will Park vehicles in the sun and will not hunt for shady places.

Thread Starter #4

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hello again,
Yes much more discussion is required. A few thoughts came to my mind while researching in these few days.

1> The govt Limit regarding Regn Free+ License Free EV is only 250w. As you know thats a pathetic figure. Even your kitchen blender is 400~600W. If you cross 250W, Taxes and all mess comes in and makes the whole segment unattractive.

An Average Indian car makes about 50~70 KW
Average Indian Bike makes 5~8KW.
BHP to kilowatts (kW) conversion calculator

If the power requirements to offer Non-Laughable performance and good power for hills/ Bad roads/ Speed breakers is that high, I do not understand know Manufacturers can manage EV with just 0.25KW (Quarter KW) whereas the need is atleast 3~4 KW.

2> There are no adequare manufacturing incentives in India. If govt offers subsidy/ Help to start an EV plant, it will help a long way.

3> Safety in EV is a grey area. As they are made very light and mostly from Plastic etc, the safety in general is poor. Standard Safety like ABS/ A bag/ TCS are not found on EVs.
Although the speed of EV is poor, who's to say that a fast moving vehicle can't bump into EV?

4> The current Image about EV in India is like a Toy/ Teen Bike etc. We really need to change that figure if one needs to attract the masses and esp the youngsters. Point 1> also contributes over here as EV performance is a joke in India.

5> If anyone can offer me a guideline about entering EV segment, I would really love to hear from you.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Friends,

Sharing a recent price range list of available Hybrid/EVs in India from the link

1450730322-1981.jpg

Also, as the 2-wheeler form a significant chunk of commute and traffic, here is a interesting calculation that I found on Googs!!

481x435xHERO-Electric-Scooters.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OxnmZteT2U.jpg

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6

bhvm

Honoured Member

anything below e2o does not make sense. they're not hybrids, just Show offs.

@Bhvm:
Even I also have been thinking of developing an EV but the high costs of licensing, product development etc are keeping me away (this isn't a 4-5 crore job after all).

The biggest issue is battery technology IMO. All in all, series hybrids do make a bit of sense for our market and our power deficit situation. Parallel hybrids are also equally good though. Ehh... This topic needs really a lot of discussion.

Thread Starter #9

bhvm

Honoured Member

@Bhvm:
Even I also have been thinking of developing an EV but the high costs of licensing, product development etc are keeping me away (this isn't a 4-5 crore job after all).

The biggest issue is battery technology IMO. All in all, series hybrids do make a bit of sense for our market and our power deficit situation. Parallel hybrids are also equally good though. Ehh... This topic needs really a lot of discussion.
Discussion, Thats why we are here, folks!
Sir vipul, Please to explain what is the concept of Parallel Hybrid etc?

Why not biofuels?

Biodiesel- Merit- Renewable source
Demerit- Pollution is higher than conventional diesels

Bioethanol- Its under developing stages.

BMW and toyota are doing extensive research in this.

Thread Starter #11

bhvm

Honoured Member

Why not biofuels?

Biodiesel- Merit- Renewable source
Demerit- Pollution is higher than conventional diesels

Bioethanol- Its under developing stages.

BMW and toyota are doing extensive research in this.
There's an episode on 5th gear where they actually ran a merc on Chip Fry-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZX2BRdXkzA

Whoa, how was this thread dead for so long?

@bhvm
Sirji sincere apologies or not answering your question. Right now travelling but a quick explanation shall follow shortly from my side. IMO HEV is the future and additionally I have a super interesting project in hand these days. I have been dreaming of it since three years but finally after all the failed attempts, this time it seems that I have got a team which can get the things right and won't give up.

Thread Starter #13

bhvm

Honoured Member

wo wo!.
so who's the justice league ?
even I'm supremely interested.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Buddies,

Electric Cars may soon be included in the fleet of govt. vehicles in India.

NEW DELHI: The road transport and highways ministry along with the heavy industries ministry will push for electric vehicles to be included as part of car fleets owned by government departments and agencies, especially at a time when the government agencies are trying to check pollution levels.

The transport ministry will write to the finance ministry to make procurement of electric cars mandatory for government departments in staff car rules to promote use of alternative fuel vehicles in cities.
link

Regards

Akash

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Friends,

The future looks quite promising for India in respect to Hybrid and Electric Vehicles.[:)]

Untitled.png

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom